I am disappointed with many guitars, as I have yet to find one that has everything I want. So I was just wondering:

1) How much money does it usually cost to build a guitar(including books, materials, etc.)?
2) Where can I find proper wood and techniques?
3) How many man hours does it take, on average?
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
^ WTF??? POINT ME TO THE 100 {uk money} GUITAR MAKING STUFF!!!!

dude you need a router, wood, fret wire, tuners, hardware, pickups, various nobs, etc. this is your first time, so expect about $500

EDIT that is for rockbottom
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
1) Including all the necessary tools - $1,500
Materials & stuff alone - $300 - $700
2) www.galleryhardwoods.com
www.stewmac.com
www.gilmerhardwoods.com
Techniques?
3) Depends on how fast/slow you work. Could take anywhere from 30 - 100 hours.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Well ya figure you need a bandsaw, drillpress, router, that alone will put ya up over a grand. Then theres the various chisles and spokeshaves, and once you have a good decent shop, then theres the price of the wood, electronics, fretwire, nuts, bridges, tuners, paints, ect.

All in all, its much cheaper to leave it to the professionals if you dont have any tools or woodworking experience.