So as most of you know, today guitar center had their labor day sale. I was all hyped to go and buy an Ibanez s470. I was dissappointed when they told me they sold out. Anywho, I saw an Ibanez rg5ex1 there and I was like "cool"! So i bought it for $300 bucks and am enjoying it very much. The only problem is that I cant find any info on it. Ibanez.com doesnt have anything, and neither does musician's friend.

Anyone know what I just bought?

Heres a link to the exact same 1 on ebay: rg5ex1

Theres a 30 day return policy, so if I'm better off with the s470, please tell me.
Quote by rcmaster0072002
i like it the only thing i dont like is the reversed headstock. completely my personal opinion

Whats the point of the reversed headstock?
Damn, Beautifull Guitar man, looks so one-off, I too took advantage of guitar centers sale. came out with a MIM Strat.
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
You're better off with the S470. EdgeIII on that RG is a rather bad quality bridge, which will inevitably give you problems soon. Tuning stability, return to pitch, you name it, and it's not good on Edge III.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by þþþþþþþþþþ
How well does a mexi strat compare to an american one?

Honestly i played both at GC this morning, and a bunch of times before, and i cant tell a huge 700 dollar Difference.. just little thing here and there, QC being alot of it, and pickups, but still not worth the huge pricejump for my money, everyone has there own oppinions.. but all i know is my MIM is smooth all over, and feels like im playing Sex and heaven mixed together, well not that good, but for the 300 dollar Price tag i got it for, i really cant complain at all! GC rocked my world this morning.. and i couldnt be a happier camper..

Quote by pifty
You're better off with the S470. EdgeIII on that RG is a rather bad quality bridge, which will inevitably give you problems soon. Tuning stability, return to pitch, you name it, and it's not good on Edge III.

nothing like a little forced upon buyers remorse! dont sweat this stuff, almost every guitar out there has an arch nemisis on this forum. i say play what you like, if it feels right with you, it probably is, Take the problems as they come, and keep shredding untill they do! awsome looking guitar nonetheless!
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Last edited by Ervinr82 at Sep 4, 2006,
Off topic but, Boomer Sooner!!!
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Am I an arch-nemesis to Ibanez? Heehee.

No, really. Edge III is just a bad bridge, like any Floyd Rose in the $300 range will be. It's an engineered time bomb, it will inevitably fail after a few months, and there's no feasible hit or miss about it. Seeing how few folks on UG have an opportunity to switch guitars often due to failed hardware, even us Ibanez fanboys tend to recommend not buying guitars with Edge III. Given an option to get the S470 (which will not be a source of any issues), I don't see how it makes sense to keep one that will give you problems.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by þþþþþþþþþþ
Whats the point of the reversed headstock?

higher tension on the lower strings? i know mick thompson(slipknot) and tim commerford(audioslave) use reverse headstocks, and they both go down to B.

seems nice, and I've heard the edge III only goes out of tune with crazy acid-trip-driven whammy solos.
Im not even planning on using the trem bar that much anyway (if at all)

Is this thing really gunna crap out on me that fast?

It comes down to whether I want to spend $100- $150 more on an s470.
I got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser today at that sale.

I looked at the RG3ex1. They look really nice and it wasn't bad to play.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by þþþþþþþþþþ
Im not even planning on using the trem bar that much anyway (if at all)

Is this thing really gunna crap out on me that fast?

Usually 3-6 months bring it to a point where you need to retune after touching the tremolo arm. And that's a pain in the ass. I personally know three people who had issues with their EIII bridges, and I've heard countless complaints aout them.

Standard marketing, really. Your RG3x0 works fine until the store money back guarantee expires, and then you have to upgrade it to something like S470 or RG Prestige because it becomes unplayable. S470 has no such issues, so yes, I'd say it's worth it.
i say get a new trem. get an edge pro and your good.
or jsut get the s470 and no hassle.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
So, are you Icelandic or do you just like the þorn?
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!