I'm positive some people here have or had tendonitis. Well I have it in my left hand, and I was wondering how you fellow guitarist deal with it or get rid of it. Any tips would be grand. And nothing like eat a jalapeno pepper or some other ridiculous prank, thanks.
maybe some physiotherapy, im not sure man. but good luck.
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
I know people who have tendonitis in their elbows from baseball nad they had to get a shot. In your hand? That sucks. I know this isn't what you want to hear, you should probably use it as least as possible. That would kill me me. Haha let me know how it goes!
Signatures are too mainstream
yeha my physiotherapist gave me some stretches and they have improved the amount of time i cna play, ut not even near what i used to be able to do. I used to be able to play a day away, now i go for about an hour and my hand wusses out
i'm dead serious when i say this. EAT BANANNAS. it worked for ritchie blackmore, it worked for yngwie, it worked for my tecaher...
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Bananas

See a doctor
Rest that arm plenty.
Do warmups
Don't tense up
Masturbate to strengthen the arm.
what exactly is tendonitis? i assume its some disease of the tendons somewhere? but what does it do to ya? and what does it feel like? ive probably seen the effects of it but are too ignorant to care! lol..
- tommy
its not exacty disease, its just inflammation due to overue. I eat a banana everyday (almost). Should I be eating 2 per day? By the way, thanks for your responses.
give your hand a few days rest and then submerse it i hot water for 5 mins or so before playing but go into it slowly. when finished submerse it in cold water to cool it down, thats what i did for a week or so when i had pains then it just went away, or try anti inflamitories.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Yeah. And let this be a lesson. Stretch before you play.

My drum instructor a couple of years ago got it in her wrists(I think). And she wasn't supposed to play for like a month.
No fucking images.

Ghey.
Quote by CurtisJay
its not exacty disease, its just inflammation due to overue. I eat a banana everyday (almost). Should I be eating 2 per day? By the way, thanks for your responses.

eat like 5 bannanas a day, i f*ckin hate the things, but if it will keep you playin, its worth it, the worst that could happen is u will get a mild case of the sh*ts or sumthin

i have some sorta problem in my thumb which i reckon i should get checked out someday, but i dont like doctors and its not too much of a problem yet

good luck tho, i know what your feelin in a wierd sorta way
Quote by tombomb22
what exactly is tendonitis? i assume its some disease of the tendons somewhere? but what does it do to ya? and what does it feel like? ive probably seen the effects of it but are too ignorant to care! lol..

Basically if you do gay salutes alot then the tendons on the uper part of your forearm will stretch while the opposite is true for the underside making the tendons get shorter decreasing motion and causing pain.
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
Hey I have the same problem. I used to play guitar constantly, I have good technique so i was suprised when this came up! I'm about to see a physio, ill let u know how it goes....
Do you play with your thumb hooked over the neck, or underneath?
Try not to type soo much also, its helped me alot!
Let me know how it goes.
Tristan
yea, i wouldnt eat to many bananas, i read some where they contain alot of potassium, and a diet high in that can increase the chances of heart failure, or cause an irregular heartbeat, fun eh?
well last night before i went to bed, i soaked my hand in cold water, it felt great! And yes tristan, i do hook my thumb over top, do you?
Quote by CurtisJay
well last night before i went to bed, i soaked my hand in cold water, it felt great! And yes tristan, i do hook my thumb over top, do you?

Ill try the bannana thing-i have mild tendenitis and CTS from drumming. I tried the follow which has made a big difference..

Dynaflex power ball (give better grip as well as reduces pains)
Copper Bracelets (donno what they do but they help)
Glucosamine tablets&multivitamins-rebuild the cartilidge in your fingers apparantly
Natural Computer Keyboard (microsoft)
Using a footspa for my arms and hands-great after a hard days shredding!

as well as lower action-0.009 gauge strings, using a superstrat more than my strat, warming up and cooling down.

Good health to y'all-hope you are still playing when you are old and grey!
I'm not sure if tendonitis is similar to this, but from moto-x alot of people (like me) get this thing called arm pump where your forearm swells up and is like its tensed (some so bad they can't pull the throttle off and end up crashing). This goes away in 30-60 mins and sounds similar to this thing. You just have to deal with it because you've got another race in an hour. Whats the difference?
Didn't your guitar teacher teach you anything? :P
The rule of thumb........is to keep your thumb underneath, NOT tucked over.
Not that its made any difference for me, i'm suffering from Carpal Tunell Syndrome (form of RSI)
If anyone knows of any links to do with Guitar hand Technique could they please pass it on.
Anyone seen a physio about it???
Tristan - Shredded tendons!
I have mild tendonitis at my right elbow. It aches sometimes when my arm is stretched in a certain position, and sometimes it aches for no particular reason.

Stretching before playing helps a lot.
tristan, i went to physio for my knees and while i was there i asked him about my hand, and he gave me this stretch: hold your arms straight down, clench your fingers into a fist, and the bend the hand inwards toward your body, if that makes sense
dude its weird this is the first time I read about this and a day after I post on this My best friend gets it from WRITING!!
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
I've tried to change my hand technique to see if it made a difference. and it has, the trick is to keep your wrist straight (same angle as the rest of the arm)
Anyone else got any more news?
Tristan
Quote by CurtisJay
I'm positive some people here have or had tendonitis. Well I have it in my left hand, and I was wondering how you fellow guitarist deal with it or get rid of it. Any tips would be grand. And nothing like eat a jalapeno pepper or some other ridiculous prank, thanks.

My guitar teacher has battled tendonitis since he was a teenager, he told me that it hurt like hell and that at one point he had to hire a extra teacher to fill in for him.

But anyways one day he went to the choroprator and got his back cracked this helped him because apprently all of your muscles are connected to your spine.
Quote by Tristan-ah
Didn't your guitar teacher teach you anything? :P
The rule of thumb........is to keep your thumb underneath, NOT tucked over.
Not that its made any difference for me, i'm suffering from Carpal Tunell Syndrome (form of RSI)
If anyone knows of any links to do with Guitar hand Technique could they please pass it on.
Anyone seen a physio about it???
Tristan - Shredded tendons!

this is of some debate-some people say the classical positioning makes symptoms worse. basically avoid any acute angles.
keep my wrist straight, can you explain better, im not sure i get it, and what were the results of the chiro[practor back crack?
good news guys, my wrists have gotten considerably better, my hands like the soak in cold water bit

So thank you all very much
Last edited by CurtisJay at Sep 17, 2006,