Page 1 of 2
there hasn't been a thread on him in a while so i made one

i got swordfishtrombones and rain dogs today and i was wondering what else i should get by him.
Alice and The Bone Machine.

Those are awesome too.

I believe he is releasing some new stuff in the fall too, so that should be awesome!

EDIT: Forgot about "Frank's Wild Years."
Get Blood Money too. God's away on business is an awesome song. I'm a huge Tom Waits fan, myself

Heh, I left out Mule Variations and Black Rider........hell, just get all of his albums. They're all great.
Last edited by tike at Sep 4, 2006,
I love Tom Wait's stuff.

Drunk on the Moon is by far the one of the greatest songs ever written.

I have Small Change but plan on getting more.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
tom waits is the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

i love rain dogs and swordfishtrombones, but that is all i have.
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
alrighty, i picked up 3 more: Mule Variations, Alice, and Franks Wild Years

any other albums to suggest to me?
One of my friends had the pleasure of both sitting in the front row of one of his last shows and shaking his hand afterwards.

Ive got Big Time on now.

I could listen to Tom Waits, and nothing but Tom Waits, for the rest of my life and not complain at all.

Edit:

Albums you might want to grab: Nighthawks at the diner, Big Time, Heart Attack & Vine, Closing Time, Blue Valentine.

Took me ages to get into Real gone, love it now though.

And to finnish a nice few Youtube clips, Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p78FFDag5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZuHDuktTPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH5MoffAx-k
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Last edited by balltounge at Sep 21, 2006,
I like Real Gone a whole lot..
Wade in the water, child.
Hes the REAL best Jersey songwriter.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Apparently he's releasing new stuff this fall.....

I'm excited

Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024

Quote by one dead punk
Love his voice, how do you do that?

Drink alot, smoke like a chimmney, and repeatedly punch yourself in the throat.

Viola! Instant Tom Waits!

There ya go ^
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024

... wtf i thought this thread was about The Fall Of Troy's song Tom Waits. I guess not. lol oh I'll give him a listen.
The Mirrors lie, those aren't my eyes
Get Alice, Blood Money, and the Black Rider.
Those are my favorites.
Right now all I have from him is Real Gone and The Early Years Vol. 2 I'll probably get his new one, Orphans, next, although there are several more I want to get, namely Bone Machine, Small Change and Blood Money. Anyway, Tom's the coolest cat on the planet. He's really one of the few people who uses thier voice as an instrument like one would use a guitar and such. He has several distinct vocal styles. The only singer I can compare him to in this respect is Diamanda Galas, although the voice he uses most frequently these days reminds me of Howlin' Wolf a lot. Tom 's never followed trends or stayed in any specific genre either which is admirable. He inspires me to think outside of the box when I sit down to write my own music.
Orphans angers me. What with it's $50 pricetag and whatnot.
^ Tom's worth it.

You know this.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
He was on The Daily Show last week. Played a song from Real Gone, too. Seems like a great, albiet slightly eccentric, guy.
Hi, I'm Peter
i hate to say i only have Rain Dogs, but it's very good. i think more people should be listing to Tom Waits, i'm glad to see a few people on here like em too, i'm thinking about gettin Alice next, what is that one like?

^ Do you like his more traditional or bizarre stuff? If you want more traditional singer-songwriter fare, start with Closing Time, then Nighthawks at the Diner, Heart of Saturday Night, and Small Change. Real Gone is a good album (from what I've heard of it), Bone Machine won a Grammy. I know nothing of Alice, unfortunately
Hi, I'm Peter
i love it all really. i have a very open mind to tom waits and other generes. But i think i might get bone machine now too

Quote by AWA
Orphans angers me. What with it's $50 pricetag and whatnot.

I'm asking for it for Christmas...

Things like that are better when you don't pay for them

Has anyone gotten a copy of it yet? Is it good?
I've been wanting to get into him for a while. What album is a good introduction?
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Depends. I started at the beginning with Closing Time. A great, accessible album written in a quasi-traditional singer-songwriter vein, except with an out-of-tune honkey tonk piano and muted trumpet that gives the album a very distinct feel. It's really interesting going from one album to the next chronologically and hearing his sound change.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, I loved all that I've heard, and I'm into the traditional sounding singer/songwriters, so I might have to look into that one.
Quote by crazynickman

Instant Bob Dylan.
Closing Time, Nighthawks at the Diner (which was done "live" - played to an audience in the studio), and The Heart of Saturday Night are his most traditional. Small Change is like a bridge album and he was getting really experimental by Rain Dogs.
Hi, I'm Peter
Early Years Vol. 2 is a more traditional Closing Time Actually. Blue Valentine is a great one to start with as well. "Christmas Card From a Hooker In Minneapolis" is fricking amazing. Franks Wild Years is a good one to get. It has a hint of his traditional stuff going experimental. "Your Innocent When You Dream" is beyond words. (Hint, Hint: look at my location )
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
So I bought 'Closing Time' and I love it. It's almost too traditional, though. I expected more of an experimental twist, but whatever, I still love it.
Quote by crazynickman

Instant Bob Dylan.
Anybody looking to get into Waits needs Closing Time. His voice is at it's best condition on this record. It's a bit on the slow side(Ice Cram Man being the only up tempo song) but it's so inspiring. Blue Valentine is a classic aswell he shows his jazzy side on that.

Need to get Orphans heard it's really good. For any one who doesn't know, I heard a sound clip off it, and there is one song in which he beatboxes it's sooooo cool
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
^ The only disc I've listened to off of Orphans in its entirety is disc 2. Great album. The expressiveness of that gravely voice never fails to amaze me.
Hi, I'm Peter
Orphans is great. The only problem I have is that on one disc, don't remember which, all the vocals are set way far back in the mix. That's a bit annoying. Anyway, I've added Small Change and Bone Machine to my collection. I got Bone Machine today. This might actually be my favorite Tom Waits album.
It really chaps me the way people have been name dropping him for "Indie" cred lately. The guys in Panic! At The Disco will not shut up about him. "Oh, we'd love to work with Tom Waits." Less than two years ago these guys were a Blink cover band, and I'm supposed to believe that these 19 year old brats are die-hard Tom Waits fans? Hard to believe. Maybe, but hard to believe.

As for me, he's a mixed bag. Stuff like Rain Dogs, Real Gone, and Bone Machine are very good, but he has a lot of sods too. Orphans was good for what it was. A lot of songs fell flat for me but the great songs were great.
Poor advice.
Quote by con job
Anybody looking to get into Waits needs Closing Time. His voice is at it's best condition on this record. It's a bit on the slow side(Ice Cram Man being the only up tempo song) but it's so inspiring. Blue Valentine is a classic aswell he shows his jazzy side on that.

Need to get Orphans heard it's really good. For any one who doesn't know, I heard a sound clip off it, and there is one song in which he beatboxes it's sooooo cool

Throughout Real Gone, he does a shitload of beatboxin'.
Lordy, I hate myself for taking so long to get into him...I am slowly working my way through everything that the library at my college has of his and enjoying every bit of it

I wish I could do that gravelly voice...my life would be so much better, the ladies would flock to me...
Like any artist he's made some tracks I'm not big on, but I have nothing but respect for him and I greatly enjoy his music.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Look up Coffee and Cigarettes and Fishing With John on YouTube. You should be entertained.
Waites is great. I saw him performing "Romeo is Bleeding" on television a while back. He started by pulling a cigarette out of the pack, and he used it as a prop throughout the entire song. It was bizarre, and I'd like to see it again. Does anyone else know the performance I'm thinking of?
OK I used to think Martha was the most depressing Waits song but I've found a new contender.....Kentucky Avenue. Anyone that doesn't know it check the lyrics out and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone agree with me?
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Page 1 of 2