Hello all, I just got a Highway One Strat at Guitar Center (gasp), I traded in my 70's Classic. Anyways, the bridge and tremolo are all screwed up and not setup properly. I don't want to wait to get it professionally setup, so I just want to play it now and do it myself. Please tell me what to do.

The tremolo is like angled downwards and I don't know why. I don't want to screw anything up too bad, so please help me.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Sounds like you have to tighten the springs in the cavity in the rear. To be honest with you, if I were you I would take it to a music store for a Supertune (not guitar center). Once it is set up properly the first time it will be easier to maintain. One day I hope to get a nice strat to play with. I want an Eric Johnson or a Clapton strat to mess around with. Good luck with it.
Yeah Take to a shop, OR I'll tell you what you can do, on the back there is a cavity, in that cavity there are three/four/five springs, Those springs Are attached to the bridge at one end and a bar with two screws At the other, tighten the two screws and tighten the tension,

Pic of cavity, springs and screws:
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 4, 2006,
Yeah it might be the springs so have a pro look at that and NOT guitar center as I've heard pretty bad set up job stories, afterwards you can intonate and set the action with ease hopefully. Also if you plan on doing alternate tunings add more to the standard 3 springs.
IIRC there are full instructions for setting the bridge, action, intonation and truss rod in the paperwork that should have come with the guitar. My strat came with a manual, atleast. If not I can help you out.
Well I adjusted the springs by loosening the strings, then tightening the spring screws. It seemed to work and now the trem is floating but not ridiculously floating like it was. I think I may need to adjust it a little more. Can you guys explain how to do intonation and everything, also there is massive buzzing up and down the fretboard. Ugh.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
In order to get rid of the buzzing, you can adjust the saddles. Use a small allen wrench (that probably came with the guitar) and either raise or lower them to where they're comfortable for you.

As far as intonation goes, I don't know much about it as my guitar's never had intonation problems. I could be completely wrong, but a lot of the time I've heard about intonation problems, the truss rod had to be adjusted.

EDIT: And if you want to ask me more about it on MSN or AIM, let me know and I'll give you my screen name. It's always good to talk to a fellow strat player.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Last edited by Zeppelin256 at Sep 4, 2006,
Cool. Thanks for the help you guys. And I adjusted the springs more and now it's just how I wanted it. I'm going to fix the buzzing now I think.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
for the record Don't mess with the tross rod if you don't know what your doing!, Have a pro do it, watch how he'she does it,
Quote by Spade1
for the record Don't mess with the tross rod if you don't know what your doing!, Have a pro do it, watch how he'she does it,

Complete nonsense. No offense.

If you realize that your truss rod is something that's countering a great amount of tension and that your neck was once a living thing and you can respect both of those facts by adjusting your truss rod slowly (1/8 of a turn at a time) and letting your guitar sit between adjustments, you will have NO problems at all. And as long as you make little adjustments and you don't overtighten the truss rod (trying to force the wrench after it stops wanting to move), nothing you do can't be reversed.

Truss rod adjustments aren't nearly as difficult or dangerous to your guitar as people make them out to be.
Hi, I'm Peter
With the truss rod the only time you really need to mess with it is if there isn't enough relief or if your notes "fret out" when you play. Meaning you hit a note and when you bend it, it just mutes out. One easy way to check is to place a metal ruler on the fingerboard across the frets. Look at about the 6th or 7th fret and see how much gap is there. You should at least be able to put a piece of paper between the ruler and the 7th fret. If not a little bit more. If you can see daylight in there and it is only a tiny bit than you are probably ok. If there is no space whatsoever, then you need to loosen the truss rod. Remember only a 1/8 of a turn at a time and make sure your guitar is in tune when you do it. If there is a lot of room, like enough to fit a pick in between the ruler and 7th fret then you can try to tighten it a tiny bit to straighten the neck out a bit. Never go more than a 1/8 of a turn at a time and then re-check. Also the size strings you play and how hard you strum the guitar comes into play here. If you are a Jazz player and use a size 9 string set and a light attack then a relatively flat neck is ok. If you are a blues or rock/metal player using a 10 set of strings or 9's with a harder attack then you will need more room. Also you can adjust the saddle height on your bridge. Make sure you go slow and turn everything even amount of turns. As far as intonation is concearned, this is adjusted on each string seperately. The idea is that no matter where you play a note on the fretboard it's in tune no matter what string or what position. An "A" on the low "E" string should also read as an "A" at its octave 12 steps higher on the same string. Also when the guitar is in tune with open strings then that same note should be in tune at each position on the neck on all strings. The easiest, but least accurate way to do this at home is to plug into your tuner. You will need a tuner that you plug into though so it reads the slightest changes. Play the open "E" string and make sure it reads as an "E" on your tuner. Then play the "E" at the 12th fret on the same string. Does it read sharp or flat on your tuner? If so then you need to adjust the saddle by the screw at the rear of the saddle. Play the note as you use your screw driver to legthen or shorten the saddle till the note also reads "E". Once your "E" string reads in tune when played openly as well as fretted at the 12th fret then that string is intonated properly. Do this on all respective strings making sure the open string's note is the same as fretted at the 12th fret (E,A,D,G,B,E) and you will be intonated. Now a tech uses a strobo tuner to do this and it far more accurate, but you can noodle around on your own a bit to learn how to do it. Back to the truss rod though. Be very carefull. If you overtighten the rod and it snaps, they have to remove the fretboard to replace it. This can cost as much as the guitar cost to buy on a more inexpensive guitar. This is why I say let a pro do it first and then read up on how to set up your guitar for maintainance afterwards. A little money now will save lots of heartache later on. OK, gotta get some sleep. Have fun and be careful.
Okay I've adjusted everything. The buzzing is pretty much gone, the trem is how I want it (floating a little), the truss rod has been tightened just a little, and we're good to go. I have basically done a setup on my guitar. Crazy...
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
One more thing I've noticed, it is going slightly out of tune when I use the whammy. Is there any way to fix this that doesn't include dressing the frets?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Last edited by JJK at Sep 4, 2006,
not really, unless you want to get a Floyd Rose with a locking nut. The best thing you can hope for with a Fender style guitar is get locking tuners. That will give you the most tuning stability.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by SILVERTUNG
One day I hope to get a nice strat to play with. I want an Eric Johnson or a Clapton strat to mess around with.

No.....you want this;
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8989
It is the best strat I have ever played. The neck is smooth because of the relic-ing (ie theyve taken off the lacquer), and it sounds amazing. There, new project for you, start saving!
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join