I have been analyzing my posture and how I can hold the guitar to play without tension and I have a few questions

1. About how much of your right forearm do you have on the guitar (presuming you are not one of those that do not anchor their forearm) when you pick, and whereabouts is your pick floating over the strings in relation to the pickups?

2. How do you guys sit to achieve your best playing?

3. Does your right arm tense up when you palm mute? I'm looking for something that I may be doing wrong that may be attributing to that tension so I may fix it. Whenever I anchor my wrist on the bridge to palm mute everything gets tense and it is no fun...so if any of you have had a problem such as that and got through it, how'd you do it?

4. Finally, are there any great books/articles you could recommend to me that go extremely in depth on posture and holding the guitar?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1)i keep my thumb on the pickup, unless i'm using it.
2)bass on left thigh, a la classical guitar. guitar right thigh.
3)i don't palm mute :/
4)i dunno.
I'll answer #4, becuase thats what you need. Get "Guitar Principals" by Jamie Andreas

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/

Its great, and talks about EXACTLY what you want, and much more. I bought it off that site, its not going to rip you off. Good luck.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by thenordstrom
I have been analyzing my posture and how I can hold the guitar to play without tension and I have a few questions

1. About how much of your right forearm do you have on the guitar (presuming you are not one of those that do not anchor their forearm) when you pick, and whereabouts is your pick floating over the strings in relation to the pickups?

2. How do you guys sit to achieve your best playing?

3. Does your right arm tense up when you palm mute? I'm looking for something that I may be doing wrong that may be attributing to that tension so I may fix it. Whenever I anchor my wrist on the bridge to palm mute everything gets tense and it is no fun...so if any of you have had a problem such as that and got through it, how'd you do it?

4. Finally, are there any great books/articles you could recommend to me that go extremely in depth on posture and holding the guitar?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Absolutely none. Sometimes the skin of my forearm might brush the body, or my palm might touch the strings - but other than that, completely floating. I normally pick between the middle and neck pickup... I used to pick around the middle pick up and bridge pick up, but found that bringing my arm closer to the neck pickup let me shoulder into a natrually relaxed position.

• Depends what I'm playing - After a while, the whole feel of tension free playing becomes natural and distincive, so when you are tense, as you probably know... you can feel it. I mean, if I just want to jam along to some blues, I don't really want to be sitting in the classical position... if you're aware enough you can play in every position and still feel tension free and relaxed.

• Hardly - not noticeable anyway. Even if I've consciously detailed my technique and have that stillness of mind, I still don't really feel any tension when I palm mute. Generally, my palm mutes are light, which is probably a factor - but with palm muting, it's going to be pretty hard not to put any *excess* tension in your arm, because you are after-all pressing down, almost. Do what you normally do... good aware practice and relieve any tension you can, change your arm posture/angle... blah blah, until you reach a point where the tension isn't hampering your playing as much as it used to, and then move on knowing you can physically and mentally release all that tension when you put your mind to it.
  • Guitar Principles goes into detail about most of the common physical flaws most players have - everything in that book relates - i.e - tense arm = tense shoulder = bad posture and so forth, so you're going to pick up on lots of little things that could potentionally change your playing for the better - even if you don't find anything useful on posture that you're looking for, this book can't help but improve you as a guitarist if you use it properly.
...thing is even if you used classical position-no anchoring, high guitar strap etc you could still be tense physically. It is human nature to tense up when in an aggressive situation-an angst filled teenager playing death metal is gonna be tense!.

Check out the alexander technique-this is pretty helpful
^Well no, the whole purpose of playing without tension is to... play with tension. Course it's human nature to tense up... beginners try pick fast, they tense up - but that's the whole point of learning to play without tension so you can physically and mentally control the amount of tension in your hands/arms/body/mind.

It isn't all physical, infact most of it is mental - so not in all cases will an angst filled teenager playing death metal be tense. Course, if he's going to be playing agressive metal which requires some kind of percussive picking and an aggressive attack, he's going to experience some tension (that isn't necessarily a bad thing - like I said, being able to control it - some techniques and dynamics require tension) - but that isn't to say his whole body is going to tense up and render him physically & mentally impossible to play the part in question.

Yes, you could be tense physically - but the whole point of what we're discussing is being able to control and relieve that physical and mental tension, so I don't really know what you're getting at.
No offense man but you're on here a lot and manage to contradict anything anyone says in a very 'ive taken acid and its screwed up my brain' type way. I never said anything about mental tension-i was purely replying on the first post-i didnt have 20 minutes to read your dissertation full of contradictions.

What age are you by the way?
^I know you didn't say anything about mental tension, but physical tension is a by-product of mental tension. You think tense and you will be tense. You think you play bad and you will play bad... it's all the same. Playing the guitar is much more than physically being able to do something.

What contradictions?

Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 4, 2006,

It's called a palm mute, not a wrist mute. Rest the side of your hand against the strings, then try it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Johnljones7443
^Well no, the whole purpose of playing without tension is to... play with tension.

This can't be right.. Right?

Quote by K10P
No offense man but you're on here a lot and manage to contradict anything anyone says in a very 'ive taken acid and its screwed up my brain' type way.

This is so wrong..
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by K10P
No offense man but you're on here a lot and manage to contradict anything anyone says in a very 'ive taken acid and its screwed up my brain' type way. I never said anything about mental tension-i was purely replying on the first post-i didnt have 20 minutes to read your dissertation full of contradictions.

What age are you by the way?

He just answers questions with some sort of depth. Also, when you are looking for the answer to a question, you don't want just one of the possible answers. You don't go car shopping and buy the first one you see. You try different ones, until you find one that suits you, and hopefully, it was a good choice.

But yea, he knows what he is talking about, even if most of us ARE afraid of him

Elvey, I think JlJ is just saying you have to get rid of tension so that you can control it. Similar to the "learn the rules then break them" type of thing, I think. Anyway, you wouldn't understand, you aren't from around these parts.....
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by elvenkindje
This can't be right.. Right?

That was supposed to say 'Well no, the whole purpose of playing without tension is to... play without tension.' which is probabaly why he said I contradicted myself.

even if most of us ARE afraid of him

What for?
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
1)i keep my thumb on the pickup, unless i'm using it.
2)bass on left thigh, a la classical guitar. guitar right thigh.
3)i don't palm mute :/
4)i dunno.

don't palm mute? eh?
Read my post. Not this.
answer in no sorta order... palm mute very lightly, i dont achor at all... i pick in between pickups.... i sit with the guitar on my left leg, which works wonders for your playing(seriously)... im not sure if there was a question for this bit, but i dont have any sorta strain in my wrist at all, everything comes from my wrist in terms of accuracy and fluency.