I picked up my PODxt Live today. I have been wanting one for a while and have saved up over the last few weeks to get one. I will most likely only be using it at home and band practice through a PA for now until I get into a band that needs effects or plays multiple genres during one gig.

So I have been playing around with it and have been able to get some settings for recording but now I am going to use it through my stack. It says that playing it into the return on the effects loop is best, but it doesn't sound right to me. So I would like to play it in front of the amp.

I put my clean channel on 12:00 for all the EQ so that it is flat. I can get some good overdriven sounds, but it just seems like I can't get a good high gain sound. It is either way too much bass or way too much treble. Eventually when I get close to a good sound, it sound really fuzzy. If I palm mute something it will sound right for a second but then I will hear fuzz right after for another second. It all sounds like fuzz after.

Does anyone have any clue or tricks to get it to sound right on high gain sounds? I just want a tight sounding distortion but all I can get is loose.

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks for any responses.
Quote by aseme
Hit the "Output Mode" button and make sure you have the correct mode selected.

did that. I chose in front of a stack. How do you configure your set up?
when you tried it on the loop, did you have the switch on line level or amp level? Depending on the loop connections on your amp, I found it worked better on my loop with the switch set to line level on the pod. Also, I thought the B-52 had quite a bit of gain, have you considered just using the pod for fx and using an OD stomp to push the gain?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
when you tried it on the loop, did you have the switch on line level or amp level? Depending on the loop connections on your amp, I found it worked better on my loop with the switch set to line level on the pod. Also, I thought the B-52 had quite a bit of gain, have you considered just using the pod for fx and using an OD stomp to push the gain?

Ok I will try the line level setting in the morning. Parents are sleeping and the amp is a little bit too loud for midnight playing.

I have considered using just the amps gain but one of the biggest reasons I bought the POD was for the modeling and to have a lot of versatility. Don't get me wrong, the effects, noise gate and recording were big selling points also. But if I am spending $370, I would like to use all of the features.

In my band I don't really need versatility or effects, but at home I need both. I could be playing RHCP one second and then be playing Slayer the next second. I am using my amps cleans without the modeling and then just using a delay, auto wah and chorus for some different effects.

Basically my order of importance of features would be: 1. Versatility 2.Modeling 3. Effects 4. Noise Gate.

Basically even if I don't use modeling I am saving money for myself in the long run on effects. I like the clean and mid gain models but the high gain just sounds fuzzy to me.
Tried the line setting. It was a little better but still nothing sounds right. My amps tone is leaps and bounds above the POD's tone. The POD is very fuzzy or muddy at high gain settings. They are almost right but just not there yet. Some clean settings work pretty well but in my opinion, my amps cleans kill the POD's. I have a feeling that the POD will be returned tomorow. I can't warrant spending $370 on just effects right now.
Quote by jmac72187
Tried the line setting. It was a little better but still nothing sounds right. My amps tone is leaps and bounds above the POD's tone. The POD is very fuzzy or muddy at high gain settings. They are almost right but just not there yet. Some clean settings work pretty well but in my opinion, my amps cleans kill the POD's. I have a feeling that the POD will be returned tomorow. I can't warrant spending $370 on just effects right now.

yeah, unfortunately, I ran into the same kind of thing trying to use it with my amps. I never got the od or modeling working well with my mine either, so I ended up just using the fx. I use seperate OD boxes if I want to push the gain in front of the amp. Also, I ended up getting a G-Major on ebay for $300 mint, so I don't even use the pod for fx anymore. I still use it for recording and silent practice, but I gave up trying to use it with my amps. One more thing to try before bringing it back, have you updated it with the V3 update? It seemed to help with the fizz, at least on the recordings I've been messing with. Also, have you tweaked the amp and cab models/mic placement yourself? I really don't like any of the high gain presets without tweaking them pretty heavily. Most of the amp models on mine had the amp levels cranked on most models, but I bought mine used so I don't know if they came that way. I know exactly what you mean about the fuzz or mud though, that's what I've found with most of the modelers unfortunately. I've heard better things about the GT-8 in a live situation with amps if you are still considering multi units, but I've never actually gotten to try one myself. Also, Crunchmeister might have some good ideas for you, I think he owned one, and he knows what he's doing. He's been playing for like 20 years, so if anyone can get a good tone out of one, it's him.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I tweaked and tweaked but couldn't get any tones from it. I went and exchanged it for a Tonelab SE. I like this through my amp at the store. We wills ee how it sounds through my amp now.