If you have Freebird, The Movie, take a look at it now.
When they are playing Freebird, Gary Rossington has this white thing on his guitar neck.
It looks like its between the guitar neck and the strings. This is the part where he is playing the slide. I'm guessing that whatever that is, is to raise the strings higher above the frets while playing slide. Its several inchs long, I'm guessing so he can easily pull it out when hes done playing the slide.

Any ideas, thoughts etc?
Quote by CodeMonk
When they are playing Freebird, Gary Rossington has this white thing on his guitar neck.
It looks like its between the guitar neck and the strings. This is the part where he is playing the slide. I'm guessing that whatever that is, is to raise the strings higher above the frets while playing slide. Its several inchs long, I'm guessing so he can easily pull it out when hes done playing the slide.

Any ideas, thoughts etc?

It's probably just a block of something solid in order to raise the strings higher so that he can play slide easier. However, I'm pretty sure raising the strings like that would knock them out of tune, or raise all the tones one step up (more or less considering the size of the block).
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by CodeMonk

Any ideas, thoughts etc?

i read this in a magazine..its like a peice of thin rope or yarn that he uses to raise the frets while playing slide...
I also read (contrary to stratguy335) that Gary Rossington uses a nail under the first fret to raise the strings for slide... (wouldn't that raise the pitch and throw him out of tune )
^ Probably, but keep in mind you're playing slide: the tuner is in your hand. As long as the relative pitch between the strings remains the same, if your ears are good enough I'm sure it's not that big of an adjustment on slide.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I believe he has stated that it was a screwdriver that he stuck under the strings against the nut, and then tuned his guitar accordingly. (I have read he just tuned his B to G and that was it)

EDIT:

I found the interview:

"when I played, the bottle kept clinking against the frets because the strings were too low. I took a screwdriver, of all things, and stuck it under the strings up at the nut, so it would raise the strings up like a steel guitar. Then, I tuned the B string down to G -- so the G and the B strings were both tuned to G. With the two Gs, it creates a drawling, doubled sound. These days, I use two Dean Markley .017-gauge G strings for the third and second strings to make the sound more consistent, and, instead of the screwdriver, I use a little piece of wire about five inches long. That's the whole trick. I don't really need to use that little wire anymore, but I just do it out of sentimental reasons. I've never played that song live without it -- it just reminds me of the way I did it originally. It's like Jimi Hendrix on 'All Along the Watchtower.' He played the slide solo with a Zippo lighter. He couldn't get it to sound right with a steel slide or a bottle, so he used a Zippo. Each guy has his own little tricks."?.. Gary Rossington

"When I play the slide part (on Freebird), I start on the third string, slide up to the 12th fret, and take it from there. I hit the third and second strings together and play them like they're one string -- it's the same idea as a 12-string guitar. For the jam at the end, I pull out the wire and play the rhythm part. I just have to make sure that I don't hit the B string when I'm playing the chords." ?..Gary Rossington

UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
i was wondering what it was too...thanks jono

btw am i the only one who had to order it off the internet?
Jimi used a zippo haha

I had always thought it was a pencil because someone said that once(might have been on UG)
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join