I'm looking for a new versatile half-stack to replace my line 6 modeling crap and start building a better rig for myself for gigging purposes. After trying out alot of amps, the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL totally blew everything i've tried away, with its classic distortion, modern distortion, and awesome cleans.
Anyway, I was thinking about getting the TSL, being that it had an extra channel and all, but i've heard that it is unreliable? Can you guys give me your thoughts on it, if its worth the money, and if there is anything better out there for the money for some one who plays Thrash/Death metal with alot of Classic Rock, Vai, Satch, Hendrix, and SRV?

Note: My spending limit is 1500-1700 just for the head.

Thanks
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
There's much better, look into these maybe?

Framus Cobra/Dragon
ENGL Powerball/Screamer/Savage
Mesa Rectos/Lone Star (Even though I don't like them -.-)
Older Marshalls (JCM 800, Silver Jubilee, etc.)
Splawn (Haven't tried any of them, but they're supposedly good)
Carvin V3/Legacy (Haven't tried these either)

I'm sure there's more I just can't think, you might also wanna look into rackmounting it

Edit: Right forgot to talk about the TSL, I don't hear much about it being unreliable. I believe that's just stupid people on Harmony-Central who can't use tube amps. The clean is terrible, almost rivals Mesa Recto bad. The distortion is pretty bad too -.-
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
I own the DSL.

This is strictly a classic rock / rock amp.... not made for Thrash/death metal.

Get a mesa rectifier if you want thrash/death metal.
Last edited by aseme at Sep 4, 2006,
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Fan
There's much better, look into these maybe?

Framus Cobra/Dragon
ENGL Powerball/Screamer/Savage
Mesa Rectos/Lone Star (Even though I don't like them -.-)
Older Marshalls (JCM 800, Silver Jubilee, etc.)
Splawn (Haven't tried any of them, but they're supposedly good)
Carvin V3/Legacy (Haven't tried these either)

I'm sure there's more I just can't think, you might also wanna look into rackmounting it

Edit: Right forgot to talk about the TSL, I don't hear much about it being unreliable. I believe that's just stupid people on Harmony-Central who can't use tube amps. The clean is terrible, almost rivals Mesa Recto bad. The distortion is pretty bad too -.-

I've been looking into those ENGL powerball's and savages, after hearing soundclips on rocksolid amps, it seemed like it could do everything, but i would like to try an amp before i buy, and there is nowhere around here (atleast i think) that carries ENGL's, and if it messed up, wouldn't i have to send it overseas to get it repaired?
I tried the rectos, and it wasent my style. It only seemed to be able to do face-melting distortion and diden't seem very versatile.-Maybe i need to mess with it more?
I also tried the JCM 800, but wasent happy with it's distortion
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Last edited by pigeonkicker at Sep 5, 2006,
dont listen to those idiots who claim that tsls arent reliable. mine never broke down even if i leave it on for 12 hours straight. they probably dont even biase the tubes and try to play before letting the tubes heat up.
my tsl + american deluxe strat can play me all the hendrix, SRV, and classic rock i want, but if i wanted to play like satch or vai, then i have to use my maxon od-9 and some wah. well basically the tsl can do almost anything. when i turn the tone to 3:00 on the maxon od-9 with gain at half way, i sound like eddie van halen, except without the phasing.
but i hear great things about the dsl too. i guess you can stick to the dsl if you want because i never use my crunch channel because i like the sharpness of the lead, and 1 eq is good enough. its just that the dsl has less gain than the tsl, but supposedly its way better for classic rock.
JAMONE
you can walk in a guitar center and offer them $1200 tax included and they will take it for a tsl100.

i love my tsl. you have to spend a little time with it before you'll get to love it. anyone that tells you ya cant play metal with a tsl is full of crap and dont know how to dial it in. its one of the most versital amps out there. people also say you cant crank it to get a good tone. i use a full stack and keep the vpr button in and crank it. mine has always been reliable. the cleans are just fine for me as well. there is amps out there that will get better cleans. for total tone and versatility i would put it against anything. well, you could maybe spend a few thousand bucks more and get a bogner. those are nice. a few thousand dollars nicer then a tsl? no.
i love my TSL the dsl cant quite get the metal/hardcore tone i was looking for, but mostly i use my TSL now for more modern rock and use it alot more than my mesa because of a much better clean tone, whoever said the clean tone sucks does not know how to use a tube clean tone, the distortion has alot of bottom end when you scoop the mids out and just sound awesome for rythm, and the lead channel soars, i normally add a OD pedal to it but it doesnt really need it at all
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
for all ur classic rock/blues/whateva, get an AC30 head and a TS-9 (or TS-808 and mod it.)

the AC30 owns the classic rock market, and a great overdrive SHOULD take you into metal. maybe a tube distortion though, preferably one with an EQ.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by NuTiNsAcReD
you can walk in a guitar center and offer them $1200 tax included and they will take it for a tsl100.

Wow, seriously? I usually order from Musicians Friend to avoid sales tax, but if GC can do it for $1200 then.......damn!
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
i own a tsl100 and i love it. i guess some people just dont know how to use them, the cleans can be better i admit but its not the worst out there. but the lead channel just rules, just send a od pedal through it and it will give you brutal sounds. its very flexible so you can get many different sounds out of it. ive not heard anything of them being unreliable, i keep mine on preety much 24/7 but in standby mode and it works perfectly fine. ive also got the full stack and like " NuTiNsAcReD " i have the vpr on but when you take it off... youll blow ear drums and dogs will die.
Quote by sendmeapick
ive not heard anything of them being unreliable, i keep mine on preety much 24/7 but in standby mode and it works perfectly fine.

It's not a good idea to leave an amp on, even in standby, unless you are there to watch it. A tube can go at any time, even in standby. If you aren't there to shut the amp down, a tube shorting can actually damage other componenets in the amp. A set break is one thing where you are only taking a small break, but don't leave the amp "on", even in standby, for extended periods of time unattended.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well im thinking of buyoing a tsl and what that one guy said "its just that the dsl has less gain than the tsl, but supposedly its way better for classic rock." i wanna know if tahts true cause i play mainly ac/dc chuck berry, iron maiden, and ozzy for jammin on covers and i use those tone types on my own stuff
the dsl probably is better for classic rock, but my tsl is still good enough for me. i can get a slash tone out of it when i put the amp at low gain in the lead channel and boost it with a tubescreamer. i used to think it was a crappy amp until i jammed with my friend who had a vox valvetronix amp. his amp wasnt that bad of an amp, but my tsl still owned it.
i think everyone is bashing the tsl because they never eq it when they play it. they crank the gain, bass, treble, mids, reverb, etc, and expect it to sound good, but thats why it sounds so bad, just like how every other amp would sound if you did it with them.
JAMONE
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
My dual recto covers every tone I could ever ask for....not a single complaint here!

Me too dude (cept I got a Triple). And if theres some grey areas...its nothing my JCM900 cant take care of! lmao.
Ah I forgot that name. Bogner Uberschall, try looking into that. You can ebay a cheaper one, dunno how much they'd be store wise.
If you're looking into Marshalls you might also want to consider Laney as there's alot of similarity there.

Umm for the people who like their TSLs that's fine however to the thread starter there's simply better for the same cost, or a bit more. The differences are pretty large.
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?