Not any time soon, but I'm planning on getting myself a new bass. I'm thinking Schecter. I play metal and am primarily a guitarist but have taken up bass a few months ago since my brother has given it up. I'm one of the lucky ones who already has a starter bass. So I'm looking for a new bass, 5 strings, good for slapping, good tone in general, easy to play on neck, etc. I'm looking into the Schecter Stilleto Studio-5, Elite-5, or maybe the Omen-5. My price range is $600. I can wait for a sale or haggle, though. I saw the Studio-5, normally $650, for $490 today. Didn't have money.
First off you have 2 realize that the tuning on a 5 string is beadg which sux when ur playing 4 string riffs, If i were you i would get a string set that allows you to tune it eadgb, Ive played all of those basses listed above and personally i like the stilleto the best.
Thanks. I could just not use the 5th string when playing 4-string riffs. But the Studio-5 and Elite-5 are both stilletos. I'm assuming you mean the Studio-5?
Quote by soul_power
First off you have 2 realize that the tuning on a 5 string is beadg which sux when ur playing 4 string riffs, If i were you i would get a string set that allows you to tune it eadgb, Ive played all of those basses listed above and personally i like the stilleto the best.

That has to be the most uneducated bass advice I have ever seen.

Anyways.

Schechter
ESP
Spector

ALl make amazing 5 strings.
Mmm... schecters. I am planning to eventually get myself a stiletto custom, actually.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
problem is, in a lot of metal, the riff rides on the E string, meaning you'll have to be playing with 2 or 3 fingers on the right hand. The B string does get in the way- when I play Maiden stuff, I pick up my 4.... and do you think it's the best thing to move to a 5 after only a few months? By all means, go ahead, but I would get a bit more experience on a four, one those bass skills, before increasing the number of strings.
Like I said, I'm not getting it any time soon anyway. Besides, this may be utterly useless, but I'm a cellist and already have decent finger strength and control.
ah ks, I just skimmed your first post, to be honest with you. And on the cellist point- prolly wouldn't help, because the string spacing between the two strings is too small to pull your finger out from the "string line" quick enough. My golden rule is, if I don't need the B string, I'll use my 4 string.
Well it's not like I'll be getting rid of my 4-string. And when I said metal, I should've been more specific. I meant Carcass and similar stuff.
They may not be considered metal, but I personally think System of a Down has some amazing riffs (especially in Question!).
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/