I listened to a bunch of classical guitar music and now I really want to learn how to play it. So yesterday I went out on a little adventure to try to find a guitar I can use for that. I was not planning on spending a ton of money (no this is not a what guitar thread).

I only managed to try a few guitars since it was laborday. I tried an old Epi (epiphone) and it sounded pretty crappy. I also tried some new Cordoba guitars. The Cordoba 45r sounded ok, but that was like 700 bucks, over my budget, but I still wasnt impressed. I even tried some $850 guitar and it just felt like one of those toy ukeleles you can pick up for $10.

The guitar I play right now is a martin DX1 and I got it for $400 and it sounds way better than any of the classical guitars (for its style).

Okkk... so I guess my question is this. Do you have to pay a total crapload more money to get a decent sounding classical guitar than normal acoustic? Am I just not used to the sound? Or what. This is really confusing me that even with really expensive guitars I didnt like them much and I'm still not a great player yet.
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
How did they sound bad? Could just be you're not used to them. Make sure you at least get a solid top though.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
The only good classical that I have tried was a Cuenca. I don't remember the model but it was around 500?.
Quote by abs_n91
Meh....classical guitars suck, but I started with one -.-

I'm getting my new acoustic this morning

Why do they suck? That doesn't even make sense.

A quick idea to consider, Threadstarter. Are you playing them with your fingers, and properly? Do you have nails? This will affect tone greatly. Oh course, if it sounds like utter garbage, your tone won't matter, but chances are you will listening to a very good player, and he has shaped his tone through trial and error, and practise.

My classical was about $300 used (regularly about 500) and it sounds exceptional. Not the best, but in no way do I scoff at it.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Heh they suck simply because of 2 highly possible reasons:
1. You got a bad guitar.
2. You don't know how to play it. (which I think in abs_n91's case, is the sole reason)

For a cheap classical guitar, get a Yamaha solid top at the very least. Even better, a Spanish entry level like Alhambra or Esteve will do you perfect.

Forget about Martin, Epiphone, Fender etc classical guitars. They aren't classical brands.
I would highly recommend going to a guitar shop that has some used guitars. I bought a guitar made in 1967 in Spain made by Frederico Garcia for $350 including a hard shell case. I like the sound a lot. It is solid mahogany back and sides, solid spuce top. I just had to get it set up right and it is a fantastic guitar.
It's a hard job but somebody has to do it.
Any crappy guitars you don't like, PM me for the address to send them too.
I'll go out of my way to relieve you of the burden. Free of charge.

What are good friends for?
Correct me if I'm wrong; mind over matter works for me. If I don't mind; it don't matter.
Well, I guess I was just having bad luck. I went to another guitar shop in my area and tried out a Yamaha CG-111C and loved it. So I grabbed it (for 300) and also got a book with some easy classical songs and I am loving it!
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
^ You, my friend, apparently have no sense of a good classical guitar
My God, it's full of stars!
Because you chose a low-level Yamaha over a mid-level Cordoba
My God, it's full of stars!
The cordoba was almost two times as expensive as the yamaha, I'm trying to keep a budget here. Other than that the cordobas had not so good craftsmanship. For example the tuning plates were not attached on the same spot on the two sides of the headstock. Also where the neck was cut to the shape of the soundhole it wasn't round and smooth but it was cut really unevenly. Other than that there was some glue or some weird green stuff not sure what it was comming out a little bit from under the frets. So for $230 less I am happy with a guitar I personally like the sound of. Hopefully my tastes wont change too much as I progress
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
Youre not used to the sound. I had borrowed a 3000$ martin classical, and At first when i tried it i was like.. what the heck, 3000 for this (Im used to acoustic) but more and more that I played, it became better
Make sure you don't use a pick on your new friend, that's disrespectful
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Your hunger for a better classical guitar will appear after about 2 years of decent practice. Yamahas are great to learn on and have very good consistent quality, so don't be disheartened. You probably got one of the better guitars in your price range. Note that i said 'very good consistent quality' but it doesn't make it a wonderful guitar.

Cordobas seem pretty substandard in my opinion. They may be good, but I feel that you can get much better for the same price.
I was on a CG-111C until I bought my Sakurai. Spend a couple of years on your Yamaha, and then upgrade. Good luck to you.
Quote by abs_n91
Meh....classical guitars suck, but I started with one -.-

I'm getting my new acoustic this morning

I'm sorry, but you have no taste.
And chances are, you didn't play the classical the way you're supposed to.

ANYWAY... For the threadstarter, look at Fender Rogriguez models, I was actually pretty surprised at how they are, I love fenders, but I didn't expect a classical of theirs to be that nice. They're not too expensive either.
I still prefer my luthier-built custom...
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Last edited by AngilasGuy at Sep 8, 2006,
Quote by Chips-
The only good classical that I have tried was a Cuenca. I don't remember the model but it was around 500?.

It was a Cuenca 40 R