ok, yesterday a tried a marshall DSL50 head and some kinda cabinet that i didnt know where it said what model it was.

the guitar shop wouldnt let me have the volume above 1 and a half, so i only got to hear what it sounded like on low volumes.

so i make the mistake of lookin on the net for reviews and i read somewhere that you loose gain as you turn the amp up, and i was wonderin if any of you guys and girls have this amp and can clarify anything on this for me.

every valve amp i have turned up in the past sounded more distorted the louder it got, but i didnt have a chance with this one.

i loved how this amp sounded good at quite volumes and i loved how it had a very nice midrange, didnt find much of a use for the crunch channel, but thats not really my sorta thing.

would like to know if its true that you loose gain once turning it up past such low volumes,

cheers
Whoever told you that amps lose distortion as they get louder is a complete moron. It's the complete opposite. Solid-state amps distort more as they get louder do to their technology. (Distort in a bad way.) Valve amps on the other hand, get more distortion, but it's from the tubes overdriving.

If you loved the sound on 1 and a half, it'll be even better cranked.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
^ exactly what i thought, i found the bit i mean though:

"At very low volumes (below 1) this amps distorts which is why I don't suggest buying it unless you're planning on using it mainly for gigs.

Fully cranked there's zero distortion! I play everything from Hendrix to Metallica. For bluesy stuff I prefer to use my Ibanez Tube Screamer but the Crunch mode on Classic channel really does compare. The ultra distortion just isn't for me which is why I use the Metal Zone."

and its on this page: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/jcm2000_dsl50/index.html

maybe i have misread something but can this be cleared up at all?
When you turn up the volume you start getting power amp valve breakup, giving more overdrive to the signal.

Try one in a different shop, chances are if you liked it quiet, you'll love it loud.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
so i make the mistake of lookin on the net for reviews and i read somewhere that you loose gain as you turn the amp up, and i was wonderin if any of you guys and girls have this amp and can clarify anything on this for me
cheers

Whoever said that should be set on fire and put out with a brick.
^ again thats kinda what i'm hoping, i really loved the tone of it, but i found that the eq-ing didnt do THAT much to the sound, not sure yet whether thats good or bad thing.

What would be an ideal cab for the head then? i have heard certain marshall cabinet models can sound a bit farty in the bass are and some can make you sound scooped at louder volumes, and nothing sounds worse that a scooped eq to me....

thanks
^I doubt that's a true statement, as so damn many people use Marshall cabs.
And it can feel like the EQ isn't doing much for the sound at times, then you realise later that it is.
Try the head out with a few cabs out if you can and see what you think of them, that's the best way to do it.
Don't be afraid to care"

i am hoping if i do get a chance to crank the amp a bit, the eq will be a bit more significant, does anybody know the sorta standard marshall cab that i should be looking at? sadly the shops round here only have 1 cab to go with thm, but i hoping to make my way over to london sometime soon
Sometimes when you turn up a tube amp, the tone changes- the bass becomes a bit looser and the mids become a little rounder. It can feel like there's a little less breakup, but there's not actually any less preamp gain. Thats just something I've noticed with my Laney, I'm sure there's someone who can more fully explain how an amp's tone changes as you crank up the master
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Quote by Matticuss22
Whoever said that should be set on fire and put out with a brick.

Wehey! You actually called her Blondie!
Don't be afraid to care"

Blatantly.

Its such a fitting name, Im still playing the **** out of that strat trying to make it look well played in etc... But the damn thing is too well built ^^
^Haha.

What finish does it have? Nitro laquer?
My MIM Strat's got that polyblabla finish so it's super strong, damn it's unability to relic!
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah it has the one thats supposed to react with sunlight to make it age faster, Therefore increasing its vintage look, But i think thats a load of bollocks to cover up thin paint xD
Cool, mind lending it me for a while?
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by robmarsden01
Sometimes when you turn up a tube amp, the tone changes- the bass becomes a bit looser and the mids become a little rounder. It can feel like there's a little less breakup, but there's not actually any less preamp gain. Thats just something I've noticed with my Laney, I'm sure there's someone who can more fully explain how an amp's tone changes as you crank up the master

could you explain how they are rounder please? as in smoother?

and has everyone got that mosquito ad at the top of the page? because it normally takes me like 3 shots to hit it, and its really starting to s.hit me off because it comes on every page i go on in the forum, and i feel more and more retarded ever time i miss

is there a way to mute it, might just be my computer mind?
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
The ultra distortion just isn't for me which is why I use the Metal Zone."

Wehey! But you should be worried about it not coming back at all.....

Quote by nofxnofxnofx

and has everyone got that mosquito ad at the top of the page? because it normally takes me like 3 shots to hit it, and its really starting to s.hit me off because it comes on every page i go on in the forum, and i feel more and more retarded ever time i miss

is there a way to mute it, might just be my computer mind?

I couldn't find a way to shut it up, so I had to listen to music for a while with the sound of a ****ing bee.

It's disappeared for me now, the ad's just white, and the ad changed yesterday I think....argh!
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by kurdtkobaign

dammit the way you qouted that makes it look like it was me that said it!
^Yea it should do really well, try one with it tho, just to get an idea of what it'll be like.
Don't be afraid to care"

I have a fun story that is somewhat related to the topic at hand. I was in a Sam Ash is on my vacation and I was trying out a stack a dual recto. the one i was in had all stacks are in a seperate room, so I was jamming on low volumes when one of the dudes from the store walks in and asks what I think of the amp. I respond by stateing how much I would love to crank the bitch, the dude then leaves the room, closes the door and gives me a thumbs up sign.

Twas VERY loud
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
I have a fun story that is somewhat related to the topic at hand. I was in a Sam Ash is on my vacation and I was trying out a stack a dual recto. the one i was in had all stacks are in a seperate room, so I was jamming on low volumes when one of the dudes from the store walks in and asks what I think of the amp. I respond by stateing how much I would love to crank the bitch, the dude then leaves the room, closes the door and gives me a thumbs up sign.

Twas VERY loud

sweet! if only they were like that where i live... how did it handle mids btw? i have heard so many things about rectifiers and mid problems...
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
sweet! if only they were like that where i live... how did it handle mids btw? i have heard so many things about rectifiers and mid problems...

Well I had my mids turned up all the way so although it wasnt that mid heavy IMO it wasnt much of a problem, it however bottomed out as I turned it up louder so I had to keep the bass fairly low and the treble fairly high to compensate.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
Well I had my mids turned up all the way so although it wasnt that mid heavy IMO it wasnt much of a problem, it however bottomed out as I turned it up louder so I had to keep the bass fairly low and the treble fairly high to compensate.

id love to try one out, but all the shops round where i am only really stock small combo amps and modelling ss junk. for the price though i reckon i am gonna just stick with the marshall! cheers for everyones input
gah! you lucky SOB Neon Knight. at the music store that i go to, everyime i turn an amp u jutst a teeny weeny bit, i have the whole music staff flocking to me tellingto turn it down. i'm getting a dual recto solo head, and how muich i woudl just love to turn one of thsoe bqad boys up! ive never gotten it to even volume 1 (but it still sounded like a dream)
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
dammit the way you qouted that makes it look like it was me that said it!
lmao. oops! sry dude! lol