Hey there.

Im gonna probably buy a Ibanez S470 this weekend, but the 22frett thing is the only thing that frustrates me..

I'm not an experienced player yet, I'ver never needed 24 fretts, but I like Children of Bodom and In flame's solos, and am looking forward to try to play them, and they do use 24 fretts at some parts.

Will I have a big problem when playing parts that require 23th and 24th fretts? Or can I couter it with a bend, or something?
u cant ben a 22nd to a 24th but you may just make a 23rd... find a guitar with 24 frets if ya really want to do those solos
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
You can bend 22nd to 24th but if the guitarsolo ie. bends from 24th to 26th youre in trouble.. but generally speaking it's very few players and songs that make use of the 23rd and 24th fret if they have it..
Only sick music makes money today - Friedrich Nietzsche

Anything too stupid to be said is sung - Voltaire

Fender American Strat Deluxe, Matchless Independence 35w, TC-Electronic G-system, Ibanez Tubescreamer, EMMA ReezaFRAtzitz, Cry baby
oh yes you can bend a 22nd to a 24, but it's not as comfortable as actually having the 24 frets. Get another guitar Ibanez suck imo.
Quote by oneandonly
oh yes you can bend a 22nd to a 24, but it's not as comfortable as actually having the 24 frets. Get another guitar Ibanez suck imo.
what reasoning do you have for that?
you dont need 24 frets. sure its easier if you have them, but bending the 22 up to 24 isnt a problem. the whammy bar might be a little tricky to control in a faster solo, but it works just as good.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Idea: String a heavier gauge high e string (standard tuning) and de-tune it a step higher.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Try the guitar out and you will find out that the neck pick up has WAAY smoother (better) tone because of the 22 fret neck. If it has 24 frets you have to place the neck pick up different and change the sound. Try to compare an S and an RG with the same pick ups and you'll se what I mean
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
De-tune a step higher

If you need to bend to frets 25 or 26, just bend on fret 22 and pull the whammy bar up aswell.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
De-tune a step higher

Problem?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Just bend up a tone when you need to fret 24th frets.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by oneandonly
Get another guitar Ibanez suck imo.

your opinion is wrong
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
You can play a pinch harmonic on the fifth fret, B string which is equivalent to play at the 24th fret. The bend it if is necessary.
Yea, 22 frets are a pain in the ass.

I frequently use everything I have...so....

24 frets all the way, but that's enough, even if Phil prefer 36 frets..
the whammy bar should make it easy enough, just gotta get the hang of it first
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by Bazilisck311
Idea: String a heavier gauge high e string (standard tuning) and de-tune it a step higher.

de-tuning a step higher
Honestly?
I can only remember one instance of using the 24 frets on my jackson...
Right now I have an S2170 and the 22 frets don't even bother me,
Because the S series simply gets amazing tone.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
theres certain things that would be impossible with 24 frets and bending try playig the solo to tornado of sould bending up to the 24th
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by Muppet
Try the guitar out and you will find out that the neck pick up has WAAY smoother (better) tone because of the 22 fret neck. If it has 24 frets you have to place the neck pick up different and change the sound. Try to compare an S and an RG with the same pick ups and you'll se what I mean

Wow, you are COMPLETELY wrong on that. 24 fret necked guitars have much MUCH better sound from the neck pick-up. Stop spreading misinformation.
My SICK rig!:

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

^So much better than my Bullet Reverb!!

Awesome!
Quote by Storrson
Wow, you are COMPLETELY wrong on that. 24 fret necked guitars have much MUCH better sound from the neck pick-up. Stop spreading misinformation.

What sounds "better" is your opinion, so you are both wrong. Technically, the farther away the pickup is from the bridge, the warmer sounding it is. It just comes down to preferance really. And you should really have no problem. If you come around to songs with 24 frets, just bend or hit a different note that works. No biggy.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Apparently on a 22 fret guitar the neck pickup is on a "harmonic sweet spot" but as soon as you fret a note... its not a valid argument lol. Which tone you prefer is personal preferance though I cant really tell that much of a difference.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
WTF, man? Quit trying to play other people's stuff and write your own sh!t! F*ckin' guitar n00bs... who cares if someone else might use 24 frets to play a solo? what do YOU use to play a solo? Can you even play a solo? Begginers frustrate the HELL outta me.... ANYWAYS, if your gonna be a b!tch about it, just bend the f*ckin' strings to acheive what you want.

STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS AND POSTING STUPID THREADS!

IF I WAS A MOD YOU WOULD ALL SUFFER FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!!!
WTF, man? Quit trying to play other people's stuff and write your own sh!t! F*ckin' guitar n00bs... who cares if someone else might use 24 frets to play a solo? what do YOU use to play a solo? Can you even play a solo? Begginers frustrate the HELL outta me.... ANYWAYS, if your gonna be a b!tch about it, just bend the f*ckin' strings to acheive what you want.

You know what frustrates the hell out of me? Elitist pricks such as yourself.

STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS AND POSTING STUPID THREADS!

IF I WAS A MOD YOU WOULD ALL SUFFER FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!!!

Then it's a good thing you're not a mod because the amount of power thrown around irresponsibly would be terrible.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
You know what frustrates me even more? People who aren't good enough musicians to be able to be elitist pricks, such as myself. I freely admit, I'm an A$$HOLE, and make a GREAT living being that way.

I'll never be a mod.... they NEVER put the smart ones in control.
Quote by SonicMessiah
You know what frustrates me even more? People who aren't good enough musicians to be able to be elitist pricks, such as myself. I freely admit, I'm an A$$HOLE, and make a GREAT living being that way.

I'll never be a mod.... they NEVER put the smart ones in control.

i smell a troll
satch uses a 22 fret neck, and he owns more than everybody on this forum combined, therefore, in the long run, 2 notes = meh. i'd rather the warmer neck pup. evh uses a 22 fret neck too, so pwned.
Quote by metalmaster362
theres certain things that would be impossible with 24 frets and bending try playig the solo to tornado of sould bending up to the 24th

My tab of Tornado of Souls only has one instance of 24 frets,
and its 24 to 19 in a pull off, so you can hit 22, bend, and release and actually get an easier pull off...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I've been wanting a 24 fretter for a while now. It's one of those id-rather-have-it-and-not-need-it-rather-than-not-have-it-and-need-it type deals for me.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Striketalonx
My tab of Tornado of Souls only has one instance of 24 frets,
and its 24 to 19 in a pull off, so you can hit 22, bend, and release and actually get an easier pull off...

I've just gotten to that part of the solo... ITS SO HARD
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I owned a 22 fretter once. I was able to do what I needed to do. Problem is, when I switched to a 24 fretter (with no inlays), I was half a step off in most of my solo stuff in the higher register... for about an hour, till I got used to it. The difference between the two? Not much... two frets, but i'd rather bend soulfully up to a third octave E, as opposed to just hitting the note with no feel. I prefer 22 fretts, but they don't make axes I like w/ 22 frets. I CERTAINLY wouldnt buy another guitar JUST for two extra frets. Make it work - I know u can!
I started on a 24 fretter, thought it was pretty cool at the time until I figured out that hardly anyone uses the 23rd and 24th frets. My last two guitars have had 22 frets and in all honesty in 15 years of playing I have never thought 'hey man, I really do need 24 frets', it's really a non issue. Buy your guitar on how it sounds and feels to play, try to stay away from traps of buying a guitar on features that have a cool factor attached to them, but have very little real world use. If I had a dollar for every person I have seen buy a crap guitar because it's are shaped like a V or has some naff neck inlay or yada yada...well i'd be a rich man.
fair enough, but a 22nd fret is pretty nice after playing a 21 fret strat. i always find myself wishing for that high D...
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein