Hi guys, well it my last year at school and I got a graphics project to do over this year. I wanna make a guitar, however I dont think I will bother with the neck because theres too much stuff to go wrong for a noob like me and I probly wont have the time anyway.

So I have always had this thought in the back of my head. I love the explorer shape yet I dont have enough money or really want to make my own metal guitar (floyd rose and such..) And I dont really have a telecaster. So why not mix them up . Tele specs with the neck, pups, controls and brige, but with the explorer shape. I was thinking of a more traditional burst finish but with crazy colours

I was talking to my teacher and she said it sounds like a good idea. She advised me however to buy a used telecaster and just replace the body because if I really fuck up the explorer shape at least I still have a body to fall back on which I can do my own custom paint job on which can still get me the grade. Aswell as saving a lot of time if it gets too far in term and it screws up.

Im feeling preety confident I can do this, as far as i am aware, so long as I route the neck pocket well and route the bridge in the right place apart from the bridge and such not much can go wrong. (Or is that the words of a fool )

Its still in its early stages, I think I will put some sort of top on it and stain it. The specs will be preety basic, just imagine a standard tele caster but explorer shape.

Ill update the thread if I come up with more ideas. Feel free to give me ideas or building tips

Also if anyone has a Fender telecaster for sale who is in the UK in beat up condition for under £200 i will deeply consider buying it Any UK ebay links would be great too

Ill include I got help from UG in my coursework
Last edited by slashnmash at Sep 5, 2006,
good luck. fail safe idea is a good idea aswell

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
sounds like a really cool idea, but after completion of the project, would you be looking to play the guitar? 'cause if you are then putting a tele neck on a explorer (this from what i gather is what you will be doing along with the electronics) isn't going to work due to the different scale lenghts, or is this just for show?

also, check out the 'vintage' (the make) telecaster copies, a lot better quality than squiers, though possibly not as good as MIM, i honestly don't know though - i've only played squiers and MIA teles.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Punk_Ninja , squiers dont suck, the affinity series have alder bodies and maple necks, replace the pickusp and pots and it'll be a decent guitar..ignoramous
Yea I thinks it's a cool idea it'll be an interesting mod.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Alpine White
Marshall MG30DFX

Soon To Get:
Keeley Fuzz Head
I'm unsure about my next amp.
Looking for amp with great blues tone.
Yep to get this straight, I will be making a alder telecaster body, which happens to be shapped like an explorer The bridge and electronics will be to tele spec.

I will check out ebay for the squiers and the vintages
Last edited by slashnmash at Sep 5, 2006,
Quote by godofshred
Punk_Ninja , squiers dont suck, the affinity series have alder bodies and maple necks, replace the pickusp and pots and it'll be a decent guitar..ignoramous

Wrong. Not all Affinity series stratocasters are made of Alder. The ones that come in the packs are made of Agathis.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
She's letting you do a guitar for Graphics?? Dammit, I asked my teacher and he said no... But then, he is a crap teacher.

Sounds like a good project though, good luck with it. I have a tele body, but reading back through your post i realise you don't actually need one...

And:
Quote by godofshred
the affinity series have alder bodies and maple necks, replace the pickusp and pots and it'll be a decent guitar..ignoramous

Not to flame or anything, but the woods won't exactly be the best quality, and the craftsmanship is not very consistant on Squiers. The hardware would need to be replaced as well. If you got a decent one then it'd make a good guitar, sure, but you can't save a bad guitar with new electronics.
^yes, as you do with all guitars, try before you buy and pick the best one. IMO, played a few of them and i found 3 good ones out of about 9/10, both stayed in tune, were intonated well and played great.
trying was implied in my most as most poeple with sence do that before they guy a guitar.
no flame intended

Generalpwnt:
i dont hitnk he'll buy a pack guitar to mod it
Quote by godofshred

Affinity have alder in the US i dont know why ones that are sold in the UK have agathis but they do
why the hell are people talking about body woods?! he dont want the body, he's making his own, so he only needs a good neck, and the necks on some cheap guitars can be suprisingly good, not gibson good, but ok none the less... though equally some can be near fatal. a brand that's quite local to me sells its guitars online and through ebay, two of my freinds own guitars from them and swear that they play as well as £500 guitars, i beleive they do teles (or LPs and strats in achryllic too) http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wesley-Guitars_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm though a secondhand tele may be a better option, fender may be difficult at the £200 mark, but squire will be way cheaper, and as you're replacing the body, you can use your budget to replace any electrics you feel need it.