Ok i've had my electric for a while but the strings on it have always annoyed me so i was thinkign of getting new strings becuase the ones i have now cut my fingers if i play for a while and are starting to go kinda rusty so i was wondering what do you guys reckon are the best stings for an electric guitar and a price? I can save up so money isn't too much of a concern. Thanks for any help its much appreciated
What gauge are they? I recommend GHS .10 Nickel Rockers. They are what I use and are great.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
You should probably consider cahnging string about twice a month depending on how much you play.

Elixir's cost a bit more, but they tend to stay bright for a long time.
D'addario is what i buy when i dont have enough for elixirs.
As has been said by someone else you should change your strings regularly. How regularly depends on how much you play and what kind of enviroment you play in, for example a hot somkey enviroment will corrode strings quickly. I change stings every two weeks on my guitars, but i have a pretty heavy technique and i batter strings to bits quickly.

The guage you should use depends on what you like, but if you switch guages then you may need to set your guitar up differents (truss rod, intonation, bridge). Personally i use D'addario 9's on my Ibanez and D'addario 10's on my Les Paul, but you can use any guage your comfertable with. Its sort of a personal choice.
can I get a period man?

but yeah, maybe some 9's if your just starting out. . . and don't worry; strings don't cost too much . . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
can I get a period man?

lol yeah another bozo who thinks that only beginners and girls use 9's and real men use 16's. I used to use heaver guages and top heavy sets on some of my guitars but then switched back to 9's and 10's, because that was my own preferance.

As i say string guage is a personal choice, its what suits you as an idividual that counts but i would recomend experimenting to find out whats right for you. Not what a chump on the internet tell ya.
Quote by Prk Marshall
lol yeah another bozo who thinks that only beginners and girls use 9's and real men use 16's. I used to use heaver guages and top heavy sets on some of my guitars but then switched back to 9's and 10's, because that was my own preferance.

As i say string guage is a personal choice, its what suits you as an idividual that counts but i would recomend experimenting to find out whats right for you. Not what a chump on the internet tell ya.

I'm not a CHUMP!!! *pouts lip*

When I was starting out I found it much easier and less painful to bend and play for a long time on 9's, so sue me. . .

GOSH!

Also, you cannot spell
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

ya the D'addarios are the way to go. If youve never changed string before (likely cause you havent played for very long) go with the .009s. They are the best for begginers. And you dont have to change strings twice a month. Thats crazy talk. Every two or three months is good for a begginer.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Go with DR strings. they are by far the best. i usggest either 9s or 10s, and no you dont have to change your strings twice a month. just change them when they start to sound bad or feel bad.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
Ernie ball hybrid's, some people seem to think they break easy, but i play a good few hours a day and change em every 2-3 weeks.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
First of all, you DO NOT need to change your strings every two weeks. That's idiotic and a waste of money. Every 6-8 weeks is normal, but a good set of strings can last 3 months as long as you maintain them (wipe them down after playing, don't use a hacksaw for a pick).

I suggest D'addario's. They're what I use and they usually last me 2-3 months before they get dull. I play for hours EVERY DAY and they last. Try out a pack of 9's or 10's and see if you like them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
sorry to sound "idiotic", think that's a lil over the top. I play 2-3 hours a day and often more if i have band practice, i gig alot too, i find i need to change em around every 3 weeks usualy, sorry!
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
i used to play on strings that had the high E, the B and G string a metal feel to them. Now I got D'Addario .10's and the same 3 high strings feel plasticy. What kind of string should I get to have that metallish feel in the high strings? I do not know what I had before so im wondering
ERNIE BALL SUPER SLINKIES, wow, am i the only one?????
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
I usually stick to slinkies too. Affordable solid strings...

But rko im guessing ur still a beginner...its ok i am too...and if your not well im just assuming...

I would not go with 9 gauges. Stick with 10's. They will last longer, and they are tougher to bend, which is great for building up finger strength. Or i guess u could heavier if u wanted...but my personal recommendation is to stay away from 9's. They are cool and they play really light and smooth...but building finger strength should be more important.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
dude, i gotta hook you up with the holy grail of string life: STRING CLEANERS. ghs fastfret is awsome stuff, it takes the rust off the strings, smooths them out, brightens them, keeps them clean. use it every time you play if you want. best $5 you'll ever spend, you'll easily double string life. (do change the ones you have now though).
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

^^ I agree with that guy. It's magical stuff.

I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, the stainless steel ones because they last longer and in my experience don't break as easily as the nickel ones. I've never had one break on me yet.

Don't get scammed by the cloths they sell to preserve string life...it doesn't do much at all. Just use any old piece of cloth as long as it doesn't have chemicals on it.
Ernie Ball Slinkies are a good brand. They are about $6 to $7 a pack. Find what you feel comfortable with. If you use what you like then you will have a better time playing the guitar.
yeah ive used quite a few different brands of stings at different guages

Gibson Bright wires - 9's
Famus pure nickel - 9's
D'addario's - 9's and 10's
some random stings called Lion - 9's and 10's

atm though im using ernie ball super slinkies - 11's. out of all of them i prefer the ernie ball strings after about 3 weeks of playing about 4-6 hours a day the high e string just went yesterday so ive found them to be quite reliable. also with the 11's having the extra metal under my fingers has helped.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I have found the best quality and consistency with Ernie Ballz. I prefer the 09-42 super slinkys. GHS are made 20 minutes from here and I found them to be an inferior product. Stick with the Daddiro or Ernies, they have been overall reliable last 15 years.
"I am not mean, I just mean what I say"
"The Truth is Eternal"

I am working to put Michigans West Coast on the map. With my new studio: L E studios @copyright 2006.... set to open in fall of 2007
Fast fret is also great for your fretboard when it's dry. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by Xenn99
First of all, you DO NOT need to change your strings every two weeks. That's idiotic and a waste of money. Every 6-8 weeks is normal, but a good set of strings can last 3 months as long as you maintain them (wipe them down after playing, don't use a hacksaw for a pick).

I suggest D'addario's. They're what I use and they usually last me 2-3 months before they get dull. I play for hours EVERY DAY and they last. Try out a pack of 9's or 10's and see if you like them.

For me its not excessive to change the strings every two weeks. As i said before i have a very heavy technique and i rip the strings to bits, combine that with playing in a smokey enviroment which corrodes strings quickly then they have to be changed every two weeks or i get a lot of flat spots on the strings that dull the tone.