Im soldering wires to a pot. But the problem Is that the wires dont stick to the pot's pegs. And yes I do use soldering metal. Any suggestions?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Are you using single or multistrand wire? Multistrand wire has lots of thinner strands, so it heats up quicker and is easier to solder - single strand wire has to be heated a little longer. The chances are you're just not heating it up enough. Soldering isn't something that can really go wrong. Just hold the iron to the pot's leg and eventually the solder will melt onto it. You won't damage the pot until its hot enough to melt the solder.
One last thing, are you using normal solder or special stuff like plumber's or silver solder? Silver solder takes longer to melt, and plumbers solder won't melt at all with a soldering iron.
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
Are you using single or multistrand wire? Multistrand wire has lots of thinner strands, so it heats up quicker and is easier to solder - single strand wire has to be heated a little longer. The chances are you're just not heating it up enough. Soldering isn't something that can really go wrong. Just hold the iron to the pot's leg and eventually the solder will melt onto it. You won't damage the pot until its hot enough to melt the solder.
One last thing, are you using normal solder or special stuff like plumber's or silver solder? Silver solder takes longer to melt, and plumbers solder won't melt at all with a soldering iron.

Single strand. The metal im using is called "kester solder".
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Is that a rosin core solder, or are you using any rosin<SP> if it isn't? If not that could be your problem. Get both peices to be soldered hot before hitting it also.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
I dont know just normal soldering iron. Anyways, I have another question and dont want to make another thread. The pot has 5 connectors. How do I know which ones to use?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
If you tin both contacts (wire, pot) before soldering you shouldnt have a problem. I've never seen a five connector pot. Try google for some schematics. Is it a guitar pot?
Quote by livrockdie
If you tin both contacts (wire, pot) before soldering you shouldnt have a problem. I've never seen a five connector pot. Try google for some schematics. Is it a guitar pot?

Its a 500k pot im using for a pedal.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
I dont really understand why theres even 3 connectors. The pot works like this... I test the current on 1 and 2. I start from a max the thing will turn. Thers current and inbetween turning 10degrees the voltage changes as it should. Now After 10degrees of turning thers no voltage.Then I turn the thing to Min Then I test 2 and 3 and they work for another 10 degrees. But anything inbetween 340degrees doesetn work. WTF?
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
sounds like a log pot right? i think thats how theremeant to be, im probably completely wrong, but pots do work normally unless you burnt it out or got a dud