I have just had a brainwave... ...Should I buy the bits for a guitar and build from scratch

OR

Buy a cheap Squier and go from there, changing the pickups, bridge etc etc etc...

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated
I'd build from stratch, well with help from warmouth, but thats just me.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
i just got a squier a few days ago, and im planning to build it up...the tuning machines that come with it are **** so, what kind of locking tuners should i get? sperzel?

oh, and the neck and middle pickups are good, i just want a new bridge pickup...what kind should i get?

other than that, the guitar is pretty solid, despite it being a squier....it's all good though
Quote by zacky gates
i just got a squier a few days ago, and im planning to build it up...the tuning machines that come with it are **** so, what kind of locking tuners should i get? sperzel?

oh, and the neck and middle pickups are good, i just want a new bridge pickup...what kind should i get?

other than that, the guitar is pretty solid, despite it being a squier....it's all good though

maybe a minihumbucker or something seeing your un
Build a guitar from scratch. Then you can get the best wood and neck and what you want, cause squiers arn't gonna come with great would and by time you finish with the squier the only thing you prolly keep the same is the body. Go to warmoth.com and check out their stuff they got a wide range of wood/boddy/and all the hardware you need.
Quote by Dr. No
I'd build from stratch, well with help from warmouth, but thats just me.

I would but I'm english so, I'll probably use axes'r'us

oh and the guy above me...find out what locking tuners are on Parker Guitars? I think they are sperzel ?!?
And as for pickup, do ya want it to look the same

EDIT: The guy 2 above me now
Last edited by nospacesallowed at Sep 5, 2006,
Yeah, Axes R us have some good looking Brazillian mahogany boies (strat and tele) just requires a bit of drilling (and routing if you want a humbucker) and they have fender bodies and stuff like that, i suggest custom but if you get a decent squier (I mean a squier which doesnt have agathis body) then go up from that, i may prove cheaper, but i prefer the scratch idea
HI EVERYBODY!!!! im still wondering what kind of locking tuners and humbucker i want here!!!!!
If you have never built a guitar ,go with the squire idea first ,it will give you a heads up on cost and what exactly what direction you want to go in for a real scratch built guitar ,I have seen alot of wannabe projects on ebay
The older i get the faster i was
It depends. Do you want a totally custom guitar, or just an upgraded Strat?
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I was thinking the same thing I might get a squire tele and upgrade.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Quote by zacky gates
HI EVERYBODY!!!! im still wondering what kind of locking tuners and humbucker i want here!!!!!

so then start ur own thread.

threadstarter, squiers are only good to mod when they are made of alder or better.

in other words if its a bullet $99 plywood, dont bother.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I would say go with a nice Squier if you're on a $1000 or less budget. Building from scratch is expensive. I believe that for a simple LP Jr. on Warmoth with the most basic everything was going to cost me ~$1400. And that didn't include wiring. Just the body, neck, pickup, tuners and bridge. Nothing fancy, just plain dot inlays and a solid color body. A plain black pickguard, a regular old p-90, and I believe Grover tuners.

If you have that kind of money to spend and know what you're doing, go for it. However, if you're on a bit more of a budget, a good Squier would be a great base to build on.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Wow 1400? Wow, I guess there's a steep difference between the standard stuff and the stuff they have gto go otu of their way for...btw Xenn you get a shot at those fenders?
^Yup...$1400. I thought I may be able to get it for the same price as a Gibson LP Jr., but I was shocked when it came to $1400.

Also, no, I didn't get a chance to try the Fenders today. I'm going tomorrow, so I guess me updating the other post will have to wait.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar