I am writing music and I would like to know if there is some sort of chart or list indicating which chords "go" with which. I would much appreciate it.
use your ear.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
there is a great book i found in a music store that you can write your own custom chords in, but thats not why i bought it. there is a chord building chart on it. it was by mel bay and the letters were different colors and the color is white.

if you scour this site you can find a list of every known chord. its really long and complete. somewhere in the tabs section, so dont try the forums.
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I saw them on that documentary, Jurassic Park. They walked around and ate electric fences and people.
yeah, there is, but it involves some theory, what key do you want it in?
I wanted to definitely be a musician or a good preacher or a heck of a baseball player. I couldn't play ball too good-I hurt my finger, and I stopped that. I couldn't preach, and well, all I had left was getting into the music thing.
Muddy Waters
for basic stuff use the circle of fitfths other than that it's pretty complicated but there
are some good articles on the site if you search the forums and other than that just
go by ear
Ab or G#: Ab Bbm Cm Db Eb Fm Gdim
A: A Bm Dbm D E Gbm Abdim
Bb or A#: Bb Cm Dm Eb F Gm Adim
B: B Dbm Ebm E Gb Abm Bbdim
C: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
Db or C#: Db Ebm Fm Gb Ab Bbm Cdim
D: D Em Gbm G A Bm Dbdim
Eb or D#: Eb Fm Gm Ab Bb Cm Ddim
E: E Gbm Abm A B Dbm Ebdim
F: F Gm Am Bb C Dm Edim
Gb or F#: Gb Abm Bbm B Db Ebm Fdim
G: G Am Bm C D Em Gbdim

These are the chord scales. I hope you appreciate that. It took some time.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Ab or G#: Ab Bbm Cm Db Eb Fm Gdim
A: A Bm Dbm D E Gbm Abdim
Bb or A#: Bb Cm Dm Eb F Gm Adim
B: B Dbm Ebm E Gb Abm Bbdim
C: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
Db or C#: Db Ebm Fm Gb Ab Bbm Cdim
D: D Em Gbm G A Bm Dbdim
Eb or D#: Eb Fm Gm Ab Bb Cm Ddim
E: E Gbm Abm A B Dbm Ebdim
F: F Gm Am Bb C Dm Edim
Gb or F#: Gb Abm Bbm B Db Ebm Fdim
G: G Am Bm C D Em Gbdim

These are the chord scales. I hope you appreciate that. It took some time.

teach a man to fish, dude! you just need the chord scale FORMULA.

I-major
ii-minor
iii-minor
IV-major
V-major
vi-minor
vii-diminished

now take what ever major key you're in and apply this formula to the notes in the key. if it's a minor key, start on the vi chord. for example, D major, containing the notes D E F# G A B C# would have these chords

D-major
E-minor
F#-minor
G-major
A-major
B-minor
C#-diminished

you can find what sharps/flats are in each key using the circle of fifths. google how to use the circle of fifths.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

how do you get a perfect clean tone on a acoustic if it is plugged to a standard amp?
Quote by Praboda
how do you get a perfect clean tone on a acoustic if it is plugged to a standard amp?

what the heck?

hahahaha randomness.

i lol'd for some reason
why do you need to start on the "vi" chord if it's in a minor key? why not the ii or iii chord, sorry i'm pretty slow
Quote by the snow queen
why do you need to start on the "vi" chord if it's in a minor key? why not the ii or iii chord, sorry i'm pretty slow

Because the 6th note of the major scale is the relative minor.

C - D - E - F - G - [B]A[/B] - B.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - [B]6[/B] - 7.

A minor is the relative of C Major.

Anyway.. what he meant was for you to start on the vi chord of the major scale to figure out the formula for the natural minor scale - take your..

I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii°

..pattern for the major scale and start on the 6th chord and follow the minor, diminished, major.. pattern to come up with the chords for the minor scale. You'll end up with...

i - ii° - III - iv - v - VI - VII

Or if that's too much for you, you can simply figure out the chords to a key using diatonic thirds.