Well I can't slap, but only on my bass: Squier P-Bass. Fine on others. I know it's bad for slapping, but is that the only thing or would my ten-month-old strings be a contributing factor? Also, I'd like to know some interesting, preferably metal non-slap stuff. I can play some simple stuff like Heartwork by Carcass(pick or fingerstyle).
yes i had the same prob with my mim p bass but i changed string and now i can
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
New Stainless Steel strings can help not only bring back a lot of life, but also a good slap sound. I recommend DR Hi-Beams.

Personally, I enjoy the sound of old flatwounds on a P-bass, gives it a very cool thump, and keeps the funk in as Mr. James Jamerson taught us.
haha
^word, I just bought my first set of DR's ever...I should be shot for not trying these earlier! Needless to say I LOVE the sound of them and I will continue to use them until I find something better (which I doubt i will)...

I dont know about the whole steel string generalization though...I've used DM Blue Steels before and I hated how they sounded when I put them on my bass...so dry and lifeless...maybe thats just me though.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 6, 2006,
you could try boiling your strings for 10 mins or so to clean them up, it works wonders if you can't afford new strings and gives you a chance to clean your bass
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
Quote by 107
you could try boiling your strings for 10 mins or so to clean them up, it works wonders if you can't afford new strings and gives you a chance to clean your bass

just buy new ones. DR highbeams and diaddario are the best, and honestly, p-basses are not for slapping. doesnt mean you cant, its just soooo much better with a j.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by 107

Boiling doesn't help, soak in denaturated alcohol overnight.
haha
Alright guys thanks. I wanted to know if it was purely the bass and that this thing would forever be completely awful for slapping. I already know they're quite poor for slapping, but I've heard it's possible, but appearently not with my ancient strings.