Hi all. I'm in the market for a nice little tube combo, something I can overdrive at home and mic for gigs. Recently, I stumbled across the Epiphone Valve Junior combo (I believe that's the one, 5w, 8" speaker), and it seemed like a lovely idea. As far as I'm concerned, I can do better than a 3-knob eq with the knobs on my guitar, or, if I must, a Danelectro (gasp!) fish n chips eq.

I guess at this point the logical thing to do would be define my musical tastes. That's difficult, but I play everything from Buddy Guy to AC/DC to John Frusciante/RHCP-style stuff. From what I've found, I can usually get what I need out of a pedal or two, or with the knobs on the guitar.

So, my questions:

Would the Valve Junior be prohibitive to actually playing any of my styles of music?

Can that combo be disconnected from the speaker to power a cab?

Will that cab be any louder than the combo, if I can power it?

Is this thing a good idea, or should I just wait for a blues jr?

Much thanks in advance.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
ive got the epi head.
from what i hear it's much better of the two. i think the epi speaker is pretty bad.

ive also got a blues jr.

i use the epi head connected to a combo amp for practice, its a vintage, raspy easy to overdrive sound. it will hum if u add any outside interferrence like a dimmer or a computer monitor nearby. so i doubt id trust it for a gig.

if u plan on gigging or if u just plain cant get the head. then save up for the blues jr.

and yes, u can run the epi combo out to a cab. there's a "how to" explaining just that, if u google epi mods, and similar you should be able to find it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Much thanks. Looks like my cheap self is just going to wait and fork over the cash for a blues Jr.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jenny's usually right. though you picked a good amp. you could buy the head, get a $90 speaker from MF, and build yourself a 1x12 cab for cheap.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Build a cab? Sounds exciting. lol. Time to search the forums for a "how do i build a cab?" thread. Again, many thanks.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Honestly, wait for a Blues Jr rather than get the Valve Jr combo, I tried it and it sounded pretty crap. I've got a Blues Jr and love it, it'll be amazing for your styles.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
too high gain i think
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I second (or 3rd, 4th, etc.) the Blues Junior, over the Valve Junior.

I've tried both, and have owned the Valve Junior and can honestly say I didn't like it at all. The overdrive (at least on the combo) is a bit aquired taste imo, very vintage and (as Jenny described it) 'raspy'. I guess you either like or you don't. But I didn't.

As for the Blues Junior. I tried it for about 30-60 minutes in a shop with my Les Paul. I didn't get to crank the poweramp, but the I loved the sound of the cranked preamp, and the cleans were great.

So yeh, it may be a fair bit more but IMO the Fender is well worth it over the Epi.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700