I'm in the pit band for Marching. And I need a finger ramp for my bass. I need to know where to get that. And i wanted to know what would be a good amp to buy. I'm havign the school buy it so it can be up to abotu four hundred dollars. It needs to able to power the entire field. Help from actually marchers would be greatly appreciated.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Gold top
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
^I build ramps. If you want a plexiglass one I can do it for free. I'll do a wood one for the cost of the wood though. All I need are the dimensions.
Hey I am in marching band, i march with a aBari sax, but last year i wasin the pit playing bass, and our band has a 4x10 Ashdown combo like thi,s http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034 , and for smaller events like home football games or stuff we even on the occasion bring out a Fender Bassman 100, the bassman seems to do fine with smaller events, but i would recomend something with at least 300 watts or so, if your playinm big shows, and get 10's wll project your sound better then a 15" IMO
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
^What??

Every bass is unique, so its hard to find a ramp unique to your specific bass online.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Pete Skjold makes them for around 75 bucks, but Bumper's sounds good.

Bumper, I should probably take this to a PM, but would this be good for finding dimensions for a ramp?

or do you also want the length x width x height of the pickups and area.
haha
Quote by grimreaper65
This may be a n00bish question, even though i'm not exactly a n00b...

What's a bass ramp?

i thought you said amp!

i think it goes between pickups so you can hit a 'sweet spot' between based on neck pickup and bricge pickup.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Pete Skjold makes them for around 75 bucks, but Bumper's sounds good.

Bumper, I should probably take this to a PM, but would this be good for finding dimensions for a ramp?

or do you also want the length x width x height of the pickups and area.

All I need are the dimensions of the area that the ramp is to go in, and the fingerboard radius, if you wish to have the ramp carved to match the string curve. I did mine flat, but thats just because the plexiglass I was working with was pretty thin and I didn't feel like jacking around in my machine shop cutting it all day.

Quote by grimreaper65
What's a bass ramp?

It's a piece of material (wood, plastic, anything really) that goes under your strings where you normally play with your fingers. They sit right at around the height of the pickups and allow you to play faster with your fingers by not letting you dig into the string as much. I've built one for my six string, it only took about an hour for mine. I can use a small CNC machine to etch letters into them as well. Mine, for example, has the words "We All Struggle" written into it.
1 and 3/4 inches between the two pickups, pups are 4 and 1/4 inches wide, and the pups stick 1/4 inch out of the body. Ibanez says the radius is 305mm, no clue what that means in actual fretboard radius...
haha
Sorry i wasn't on here for a few days. We're a class 1 marching band if any of you understand that. We are mainly just playign our high school. And the away games as well. Then Competitions. So. Is a ramp something i myself could make?

Edit-I will give the dimensions after school today. the bass forum is so much nicer than the actual guitar forum. Thanks alot everyone. You all kick ass.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Gold top
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
^You could make it yourself, if you have access to a machine shop, or all the necessary tools. I enjoy making them, it's just something that I've loved doing since I built one for my bass.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
1 and 3/4 inches between the two pickups, pups are 4 and 1/4 inches wide, and the pups stick 1/4 inch out of the body. Ibanez says the radius is 305mm, no clue what that means in actual fretboard radius...

So you wnat one too, eh? No problem. Just be sure that the meaasurements are exact, otherwise the ramp will stick out and look weird.

Also, PunxRckr....it would help me alot to know what kind of pickups you have. I know Steves bass has two soapbars, but I'll have to make the ramp differently for single coils, or for P/J combos. And then there are other things, like where you want it? I put mine between my soapbars, because it doesn't affect slap & pop there, and also tht is where I generally play. If you want it in a different location just give me the dimensions for that specicific area. If you know how to draw blueprints, that would be an immense help.
Quote by Bumper
^You could make it yourself, if you have access to a machine shop, or all the necessary tools. I enjoy making them, it's just something that I've loved doing since I built one for my bass.

So you wnat one too, eh? No problem. Just be sure that the meaasurements are exact, otherwise the ramp will stick out and look weird.

Also, PunxRckr....it would help me alot to know what kind of pickups you have. I know Steves bass has two soapbars, but I'll have to make the ramp differently for single coils, or for P/J combos. And then there are other things, like where you want it? I put mine between my soapbars, because it doesn't affect slap & pop there, and also tht is where I generally play. If you want it in a different location just give me the dimensions for that specicific area. If you know how to draw blueprints, that would be an immense help.

Yeah I think it's pretty exact, if you could make a plexiglass one I'd REALLY appreciate that dude!
haha
^No problem. You'll have to give it a little bit of time, since the class isn't allowed to use the shop until we've all passed our safety tests with a perfect grade (even if you've already passed it the year before, like myself). I'm considering going all out and building a guitar there. It'd be really cool I think.