Refinish the neck. Seriously. A friend of mine did that to his squier and it plays great, really fast and smooth. Get a new body though, agathis is a crap wood. New pickups and electronics will make it sound 100x better.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
destroy it...or eat it whichever you prefer
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
it says its laminated hardwood..... that sounds ****ty

and shredmeiser, id probably rather eat it
would i be able to but some type of tremelo on it?

cuz the strings dont go through the guitar to the back, then just are at the back of the bridge
No offence buddy, but the EVH has been done to death. Try placing a mounting ring around that humbucker, makes it look not to shoddy....
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
How do you know what Series your Squier is?

I know some have Bullet or Affinity written on the headstock, but if not, how do ya tell?
look at the specs, like the bullet only has one humbucker, no other pickups, some headstocks are different, and bridges etc. the model should really be written on the back of the headstock, or at least a serial number, though saying that, the cheap peavey i just took apart to salvage parts from doesn't, but i also just found out its plywood (not what it says in the specs at peavey). so maybe sometimes its best not to know. Also even if the wood is agathis, its worth some modding, just not if its "laminated hardwood" thats plywood. strat bodies are relatively easy to come by though, so it could be switched to a better wood, though that pickup configuration is rare, so you may struggle. if you really want to just do it for the experience.
you can get a regular strat bridge that comes with a tremolo and 5 tension springs thats a sweet mod you can buy it inna pack from like dimarizo or proline, maybe like a new body thats a really good idea, or if you dont wanna do that a new pickups get like a fat strat pickgaurd and get a new humbucker and 2 single coils
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
For trem, the easiest would be a Bigsby.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
99.99 for the b-5 bigsby its sweet though but you might need this thing called a telecaster bridge i think theyre diff then strat bridges i might be lying to you
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
You can install a Bigsby on a strat.

But you have to get a Tune-O-Matic or Mustang bridge - a Telecaster bridge plate wouldn't fit without major routing..

Then you can mount the Bigsby,
then mount the new bridge in the same locus as the old bridge.

And that's basically it.

You might need to shim the neck with, like, a pick or the cardboard back of a notebook or something like that.

Squiers are great for modding. Even if you don't get exactly what you wanted from the result, at the very least, you learn something, and won't feel guilty about making the mods you wanted to.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Last edited by StaggHound at Sep 6, 2006,
so then id have to drill holes in the body for strings right?
cuz the strings dont go through the body, just through to the back of the bridge?
and if i have to drill, what else do i have to do on the back?
For a Bigsby, you wouldn't have to drill through the body for the strings, they'd be held by the tailpiece.

I thought it was a string-through originally, but if it's a hardtail, you might just need to grind the back of the bridge down so that the strings pass cleanly over the back of the bridge, but still pass over the saddles.
And then, shim the neck.

Basically, you'd be taking your neck off, putting a small piece of cardboard of a pick into the neck pocket on the body side, and then re-securing the neck.

This is basically done purely to give you a playable and fairly consistant action on the neck when you have to raise the saddles a lot for the clearance a Bigsby requires.

Fender types don't have a harsh neck angle in the same way that a lot of guitars that use a Tune-O-Matic type bridge do. The Tune-O type is basically a version of the classical violin bridge, cello bridge etc. in that it raises the strings high off the body, and then the neck is angled to make a playable action, as opposed to the Fender style where the bridge is roughly level with the neck.

It doesn't need to be thick at all. Generally, if you take a piece of cardboard from the back of a standard notepad, that is plenty thick.