can anyone give me some good settings to start out with on a 10-band eq (MXR) to give me an aggressive, kickass, Marshall-like distortion?
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
what kind of amp do you have?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
what kind of marshall?

There's decades of them and they all sound different.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by SonicMessiah
how about using a marshall, dumb-ass?

ok well theres no need to be rude. I dont know what kind of amp you have? what kind of marshall? u asked for help, dont crit me! you can just go gargle on a big **** i was just trying to help

Edit: my bad TS i got names mixed up. well that guy ^ can just go suck it!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
sorry, i was kind of harsh..... what I meant was GET A F*CKING MARSHALL, stop trying to replicate a sound, just HAVE THE SOUND.
ill be runnin it off of a peavey valveking

more of a tube marshall...i dont really know what specific model if thats wat ur askin. but u no that Marshall punch and just overall kickassness that no other amp can deliver.

(and yes i would get a marshall but i LOVE everything about that valveking)
Quote by RHCP94
Well it is seriously hard to know what kind of marshall sound without actually telling us what kind of marshall sound you actually want. All of the tube marshalls have lots of punch and kickassedness

I have the MXR and could easily help you, but we need some specifics. Any bands? music styles?

Quote by SonicMessiah
I agree about the valveking amps, btw.. they DO pwn most other amps in their class....

THere's really not much anything else in their class actually, you basically have the Crate V series. Fender Hot Rods and others aren't really the same class of amp.

Quote by Funky P
Well it is seriously hard to know what kind of marshall sound without actually telling us what kind of marshall sound you actually want. All of the tube marshalls have lots of punch and kickassedness

I have the MXR and could easily help you, but we need some specifics. Any bands? music styles?

well obviously rock (or else i wouldnt want a marshall lol)

bands....do i honestly need to name some people who use marshalls?

i wish i could get more specific. but if u want an idea of what im looking for exactly to use this as, ill have (on my pedalboard) 4 distortion options: a real biting edgy overdrive, a big muff, the smoother tube overdrive of the valveking, and ill be using the MXR to bring out a harder more aggressive Marshall tube-sound.

so just for shts and giggles lets say a DSL or a TSL (since that is what i would be considering had i not fallen for the peavey)
Quote by RHCP94
Quote by SonicMessiah
suppose thats why they own...

well i knew that why else would i be trying to sound like one

i wish i could just rip out that preamp and put it on my pedalboard, but the mxr is as close as i got to that.

come on you know wat im lookin for. any settings ideas? hints? anything?
Quote by RHCP94
i dont know if this will help but this is my setting from the left to the right. but it really depends on you amp for the sound to. My amp is a peavey Ultra.

-12,+3,+9,+3,-12,-12,+3,+9,+3,-12 and keep the level and the gain at zero.
Carvin Legacy
Ibanez RG 470 w/Evo's
ESP Viper
Ibanez TS9
MXR Ten-band EQ
MXR Phase 90
MXR Smart-Gate
Boss DD-3
Dime CRybaby from HELL

Microcube
hey Funky P you said u have an MXR how bout some help?
Quote by RHCP94
you could start with Muse, speaking as you have a muse avatar.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
i have an idea for sumthing, not exact settings mind,

i think what you are looking for is a high mids tone for the agressive valve sound, imagine the eq is a mouth of a face.

make the face unhappy. only way i think to explain it!

then just mess around from there, adding more low mids will probably give you a more growly type sound and adding high mids will give you a more erm "british" sound.

that could have made no sense whatsoever
An Equalizer isn't going to give you the marshall sound. Don't expect it to, you might be able to make certain frequencies louder and more agressive and you might be able to find the frequencies that the marshall amp gives you. But the thing is theres a lot more that makes up the sound.
Using a EQ on any Marshall devices such as amps, preamps, pedals, or whatever you can get the whole varieaty of different Marshall sounds, right? With mids, or basses, or hights, Crisp or smooths, long or short. But, unless I'm mistaken, you want to have it vice versa: use the only variant of EQ settings to get what, the same variaty of sounds out of a non-Marshal amp? The task you're carying out seems a bit controversial to me.
Quote by SonicMessiah
sorry, i was kind of harsh..... what I meant was GET A F*CKING MARSHALL, stop trying to replicate a sound, just HAVE THE SOUND.

Not everyone has money to blow on tube amps just because they want a certain sound.

Sometimes, it's much easier to ask for some help. And sometimes, it's much easier just to receive some nice helpful responses rather than the BS you put out.

The internet annoys me so much. God damn.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

And in Russia forum participants are genreally boorish. Once I was banned for a question that had already been asked for a few times before. I was called lazy and banned despite no one had answered those previous questions and only a few guys put out someting like "learn how to use the search option, bitches". The internet annoys me so much sometimes too.
Quote by take_it_t
An Equalizer isn't going to give you the marshall sound. Don't expect it to, you might be able to make certain frequencies louder and more agressive and you might be able to find the frequencies that the marshall amp gives you. But the thing is theres a lot more that makes up the sound.

such as?
Quote by RHCP94
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
i have an idea for sumthing, not exact settings mind,

i think what you are looking for is a high mids tone for the agressive valve sound, imagine the eq is a mouth of a face.

make the face unhappy. only way i think to explain it!

then just mess around from there, adding more low mids will probably give you a more growly type sound and adding high mids will give you a more erm "british" sound.

that could have made no sense whatsoever

JESUS H CHRIST THANK YOU! thats all i was looking for
Quote by RHCP94