i have a 67' gibson sg special wiht 2 p90's in it, and the p90's are single coil so distortion isnt the best, if i get a distortion pedal will it be better or still kinda crappy, or should i jsut get some humbuckers
What amp are you playing through?

What kind of distortion are you talking? Light punk? Death Metal?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well im going to get a vox valvtronic 30 watt, but now im using a really crappy crate 10 watt. i want it so i can play some ozzy or some metalica
Once you get the Vox it should sound ok. It's probably just because you're using a Crate 10 Watt amp. Wait on the distortion pedal until you get the Vox.

If you still can't get the sound you're looking for, even after screwing with all the EQ settings you can, then maybe look at getting a Distortion pedal.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^Like I said, get the amp first, then worry about a distortion pedal.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
once youve got a decent amp the p'90s will be able to handle that kindof distortion
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
^Exactly.

If you go and buy a distortion pedal to run through your Crate to try to get better sound, you just won't. It will still sound bad because it's still a bad amp.

However, if you honestly can't find the sound you want with a Vox Valvetronix, then a distortion pedal may actually make a difference rather than just make it sound worse like it would with your current amp.

Go for the amp FIRST.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I get great distortion with P-90s. Shouldn't just write them off because they're single coils. They're the best sounding thing out there, IMO. If they didn't have noise problems, they'd be downright perfect.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Even 60-cycle hum isn't *that* bad.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
no dirk gently i like p90s, thats why i got the guitar instead of one wiht humbuckers, but i guess the only reason why i though they sucked for distortion is because i saw my brother play his hss strat through his bigo halfstack thingy then i tried my guitar in my crate and thought my distortion sucked silly me. k ill get amp first then worry about it later. also dirk gently if you do have p90s do you use the bridge or the neck pup im just wonderin what other people use, cause i use my bridge with the tone set to 10 on a gibson sg