Page 1 of 2
Anyone play one of these? I've wanted a vintage Les Paul for a while, and this seems like the closest thing...

Also, anyone know the price on it? The Gibson website doesn't list prices for it...
Nothing against Green Day (I'm not really a fan, but I don't dislike them either)...

but this whole thing sounds like a marketing ploy.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
i beleive its like 1400-1500 dollars... i have never played it, but i dont reccomend it just because its probably a cheapo, their selling the gibson name and the billie joe name
Why does he have his own sig. guitar? What has he actually done to deserve it? It could be the greatest guitar ever made and i'd rather buy a First Act from Wal-Mart.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
^not this again someone already went through this on another thread

its all marketing. little rich kids like greenday, ask their richer parents for a guitar because they want to be cool like billie joe... and there u go gibsons got another bajillon dollars

gibson doesnt care if hes a good guitarist or not (actualy i think hes good he just doesnt show it in his songs) they just want money
What's so special about it? It seems like a stock guitar with Billy Joe's name on it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by evh77
^not this again someone already went through this on another thread

its all marketing. little rich kids like greenday, ask their richer parents for a guitar because they want to be cool like billie joe... and there u go gibsons got another bajillon dollars

gibson doesnt care if hes a good guitarist or not (actualy i think hes good he just doesnt show it in his songs) they just want money

QFT, BJ is actually quite good... Though I'd never buy the guitar, it's a ripoff. I love me some Green Day though.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
billie joe sig.

Mahogany body
Set mahogany neck
'50s neck profile
Rosewood fretboard
22 frets
24-3/4" scale length
1.695 nut width
12" fretboard radius
Fixed wraparound compensated bridge
Double-coil humbucking P-90 bridge pickup
Volume control
Tone control
Nickel hardware
Lacquer finish

regular les paul jr

Mahogany neck and body
Rosewood 22-fret fingerboard
P-90 pickup
Compensated wraparound bridge
Chrome hardware

i think their pretty much the same, their just more specific with teh billie joe description to make it look better
^You nailed it... twice the price for the same guitar. Wait, his signature on the headstock MUST be worth the extra $700!
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Easy guys!!! I've been looking for a vintage Les Paul for a while, this is based off of one, so I was just wondering...

Sorry for touching some nerves...
If you are going to spend that much, dont get a LP Junior
Quote by flyingjew34
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.

I play like I'm breaking out of jail.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
actually they are diff. the bj has nickel hardware
and the regular one has chrome haha
thats really worth 700 more dollars
Who cares its a cheap guitar, and like someone else said you could buy a lot more for 1400 then that piece of marketing ****
Gear:
since everyone was bitching, heres my favorites...
-1995 Jimmy Page Les paul (16th bday)
-1960 Gibson Les Paul reissue
-2003 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
-Hot Rodded 100 watt marshal (200 watts)
I never even knew he played a Les Paul to begin with....he's certainly not worth a Signature!

You don't see an LP in a shop and go "Look, it's the guitar that Billie Joe Armstrong plays!" like you could with Jimmy Page's name, or Slash or something.
Quote by BrainDamage
did you just refer to the lead singer of Green Day as an ewok?
go to a damn guitar shop and play some guitars. choose the best sounding/playing guitar in your price range.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Or say "Wow, that EDS-1275 looks mighty awesome" and buy that. Best guitar ever
Quote by BrainDamage
did you just refer to the lead singer of Green Day as an ewok?
If you're willing to spend that much, don't touch a Billie the bastard LP Jr, get an actual decent guitar.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by evh77
billie joe sig.

Mahogany body
Set mahogany neck
'50s neck profile
Rosewood fretboard
22 frets
24-3/4" scale length
1.695 nut width
12" fretboard radius
Fixed wraparound compensated bridge
Double-coil humbucking P-90 bridge pickup
Volume control
Tone control
Nickel hardware
Lacquer finish

wow it has 22 frets

wouldn't 7 be enough
Listen to Green Day's first album, tons of solos in pretty much every song :p And they're real solos, not the stupid octave solos.
Hey, I'd say with the record sales that Green Day produces, give him a signature guitar. That IS what Gibson and every other guitar manufacturer ultimately is in business for...to make money.
Whats so bad about them after all? They absolutely have their place in the music world as much as the Ramones and AC/DC (who pretty much made their livings off of three or four chords, too remember). Maybe AC/DC is a bit more lead oriented, but not that much.
Just my thoughts.
Quote by demea
Hey, I'd say with the record sales that Green Day produces, give him a signature guitar. That IS what Gibson and every other guitar manufacturer ultimately is in business for...to make money.
Whats so bad about them after all? They absolutely have their place in the music world as much as the Ramones and AC/DC (who pretty much made their livings off of three or four chords, too remember). Maybe AC/DC is a bit more lead oriented, but not that much.
Just my thoughts.

very dangerous argument. ac/dc used real chords in a lot of songs, unlike greenday. and acdc is the biggest rock act in history. as much as you like or dislike, greenday acdc and greenday are not in the same category. I'm not an AC/DC fan but i'd say you were treading on a fine line with that comment.
Marty
And Green Day acheived the dream of all of you... smoking tons of pot, playing small gigs, and then becoming one of the most popular rock bands of the 90's and 2000's...

Who cares if their fans are all emo chicks? They've become a lot more rich "sucking" than any of you have.

I think a lot of people are pissed because they "sold out"... who gives a ****? They're allowed.

Their true fans from the beginning will stick around and not give up on them even though they have a new sound... bands change, sounds change, just adapt...

Jesus H. Christ,
Adam
Quote by duarte1223
And Green Day acheived the dream of all of you... smoking tons of pot, playing small gigs, and then becoming one of the most popular rock bands of the 90's and 2000's...

Who cares if their fans are all emo chicks? They've become a lot more rich "sucking" than any of you have.

I think a lot of people are pissed because they "sold out"... who gives a ****? They're allowed.

Their true fans from the beginning will stick around and not give up on them even though they have a new sound... bands change, sounds change, just adapt...

Jesus H. Christ,
Adam

to be honest, if you really do listen to the american idiot album through, it's not that bad, its a rock album, don't take it seriously, ignore the hype around it, imo it's a solid rock album, nothing special but for what it is it does the job.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
very dangerous argument. ac/dc used real chords in a lot of songs, unlike greenday. and acdc is the biggest rock act in history. as much as you like or dislike, greenday acdc and greenday are not in the same category. I'm not an AC/DC fan but i'd say you were treading on a fine line with that comment.

I dont think its a dangerous comparison at all. I'm older than most, been a musician for 14 years, been in the rock scene for longer than that and am a fan of AC/DC and Green Day both. AC/DC is much better, I agree, but to say they dont use four chords to acheive their sound...power chords or not or rely on very basic progressions wouldnt be out of line. Is a fifth not a real chord your saying???
I think the comparisons of BJA to Pete Townshend are a bit more appropriate. And let's not forget AC/DC became famous recycling the same four songs, just changing lyrics (Pearl Jam has a similar schtick). The reason most of the elitists around here don't like BJA is because he doesn't take solos and takes a simple approach to guitar playing (because, gee, he's in a punk band ), as if you can only be a guitar player if you take solos. I wouldn't buy that guitar, though. $1,400 for something with one pickup? They're out of their minds. You could buy a signature Strat with a name on it that would appeal to the snobs and elitists for that much money.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 6, 2006,
Haha, i wouldnt get it and i think green day are a good band, i prefer their older stuff though, Billy Joe is a good guitarist, he just let it slip in the recent albums the old stuff rocks, He deserves a signature guitar, the only thing i have against this one is that it isnt a sig guitar its an LP jr for double the price, If you get a vintage style les paul (I'm not sure if you mean Jr style or Vintage LP) get an LP Jr not a BJA sig, if you actually want a realy LP with P90s theres always the Gibson LP melody maker which is pretty cheap and looks decent for stuff like green day
ac/dc = 150 million albums sold worldwide

greenday = 56.5 million albums sold worldwide

not trying to base my opinion on either bands on their record sales, and i much prefer listenign to the some greenday then ac/dc, but in terms of how influencial / iconic these bands were, i'd say ac/dc is much more influencial and iconic then greenday ever was. and plus they were aussies! but yer imo this greenday thing is a fad of a legend that's going to slowly dissapear, whereas the ac/dc legend seems to have lived on. therefore signature guitar for greenday is a very quick marketting ploy by gibson to get it on it all whilst they're still high and mighty. they might as well have released a linkin park guitar. ok maybe thats harsh but you get where i'm getting at right?
Marty
Lol you could probably buy TWO regular gibson lp juniors for the price of the billy jo signature
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by suicidalmoose
ac/dc = 150 million albums sold worldwide

greenday = 56.5 million albums sold worldwide

How long as AC/DC been around compared to Green Day though??? That's the big question... AC/DC started in 1973, Green Day came together in 1989... If my math is correct, that 16 more years of record sales from AC/DC...
Quote by duarte1223
How long as AC/DC been around compared to Green Day though??? That's the big question... AC/DC started in 1973, Green Day came together in 1989... If my math is correct, that 16 more years of record sales from AC/DC...

In addition to that, AC/DC was around in a time where people couldn't really download full albums..they had no choice but to buy em..I guarentee you a sh*tload of people just downloaded their greenday albums rather than bought them..(referring to the more recent CDs, of course)
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
And if you go purely by album sales to rate anything related to actual music, shred guitarists SUCK, jazz musicians SUCK, classical music SUCKS and Michael Jackson is the greatest musician to ever walk the face of the planet.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I think the comparisons of BJA to Pete Townshend are a bit more appropriate.

True. But Pete Townshend is ages better though .
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It never ends.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
It never ends.

What would that be? Arguing on the internet? HAHA. Everyone is right in their own mind...it's just the guy with more time on his hands that usually wins
Yay. Another Green Day bash-fest from all the UG Elitists.

First of all, I completely agree that this guitar is a complete marketing ploy on Gibson's part. It's probably a decent guitar, since it is a Custom Shop model, but still...$1400? You can usually find actual vintage LP Jr.'s on Ebay for that. They may be beat up a bit, but they'd be a much better guitar with a real P-90. Not a P-100 (what I take from "humbucking p-90").

Also, why the hell is his signature guitar a Les Paul Junior? He used a Strat for almost every album and only started using other guitars on the last couple - The LP Jr. on AI, LP's as well, SG's, 335's and I think even a Telecaster. As well as DC Jr.'s and his same Strat (at least, a remake of it).

If he has a sig guitar, it should be a fat Strat with a Seymore Duncan bridge humbucker and stickers everywhere. Fender makes him remodels of his original Fernandes, so I think that he should have a signature Fender Strat instead of a Gibson LP Jr.

As for the argument on whether or not he deserves a signature guitar, I think he completely deserves it. He's been in a punk-pop band since 1989 and they have been popular since their debut. That in itself is a huge feat to accomplish. If any of you would achieve success like this, I'd say that you deserve a sig guitar too. Just because he uses a simple form of music it doesn't mean he's a bad guitarist. He just likes to write more simple music. Not everyone has to have a ten minute guitar solo in every song to be "good."

Also, I'd just like to point out that if you look at the official songbooks for Green Day albums, most songs use very few power chords. Barre Chords and regular chords are much, much more common to see. It's just the tabs here on UG that replace every actual chord with a power chord so it's easier to play.

Now, please try to keep this thread civil. Don't remake the "Billie Joe Armstrong Sig This Year" topic.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Page 1 of 2