i have a 67' gibson sg special wiht 2 p-90's which are single coil so they dont do distortion very well, if i were to get a distortion pedal would the pedal make it better or should i just get a set of humbuckers
Please, keep your guitar as it is. I'd kill to have a '67 SG.

For the distortion, well, it depends what kind of distortion you need.

You won't get metal, but you can get punk or "rock" tones out of it.
Well, that all depends on the style of music you play. P-90 can kick a** if you have the right amp and settings. Lots of famous people with great guitar tones use them. The Raconteurs, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton, Muse, The Who, Green Day ect... All of these bands play music that uses distortion, and they sound very good. Also, single coils can souns great (jimmy hendrix, Eric clapaton, iron maiden, ect.), so you don't necessarily need humbuckers. What kind of amp are you using right now, as that's often the problem? Cheap solid-state amps will make even a $3000 Gibson sound crappy.
Gear:
Epiphone Firebird VII
1968 Silvertone Mosrite
Speyer Acoustic Electric
Johnson Metal-Body Resonator Guitar (FOR SALE)
Rover Mandolin
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Traynor 15w Tube amp
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Iron Maiden uses humbuckers.

Threadstarter: Well depending on what distortion you want. As connorthecarguy said: a cheap Solid state amp won't make a Gibson sound good. But don't get humbuckers, P-90's are great. But for distortion id reccomend a fuzz pedal. Tony Iommi used a P-90 SG while in Sabbath and he used a fuzz pedal. Listen to Tommy (awesome album BTW) by The Who, especially the song Pinball Wizard, Pete Townshend used Fuzz pedals for distortion and on that song you get what it will sound like.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
lol you dont wanna know what kind of amp im using lol. but ill tell any ways i have the crappy of all crappy amps, its a little 10 watt crate thingy, lol. and sorry frededonna i wasnt really looking for the gibson sg special it just kinda fell into my hands from heaven, lol know i have a gibsione through a practice amp, what are some good practice solid state amps if there are any
What do you play? id say a Roland Cube (if you play more metal oriented) or a Vox Valvetronix are a good idea!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
alittle metal maybe like some black sabbath or ozzy, classic rock, normal rock(is this a genre of music), and harder rock. ive hear the vox is good, i think im gonna get this
are you sure tony iommi used p90s i was prety sure he had humbuckers, doenst he now have a signature humbucker, becuase i kinda want that BLS sound