heya'

I haven't been playing long and i just restrung my guitar for the first time and since its been done ive been getting a god awful rattle noise when i pick the 5th string in certain places, its really driving me nuts, could anyone tell me what causes this and how i can fix it?
Raise your action my friend. It's a bit low and causes that rattling.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
action is the height of the strings no? sorry im new....
im getting the noise on the 12th fret mostly and there is a good 3.5mm between the string and fret, if this is the way to go could you provide a link to a guide on how to do this
Go to The Guitar Project (Just Google that, I'm not really sure what the exact address is). It's a good site and has detailed guides to setting up your guitar. And yes, action is the height of the strings.
Play the string a lot. You might just have to break it in. I have to do that with my strings, because when they're brand new they emphasize the high frequencies, so buzzes and rattle are more amplified.

If breaking it in doesn't work, you may need to raise the action, like already stated.
Did you stretch the string as you put it on? May just need breaking in, as said...if you're new to it and need to adjust the action, I'd reccomend taking it to a technician and getting them to walk you through it.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
what type of guitar, and how long has it been doing this?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its a very cheap lancewood elite, probly half the problem,
only had it about 6 months,I looked at it and i noticed that 5th string is very slightly lower the rest so im about to attempt to raise the action. ill post and let you know how i go.
so i raised the action and it worked, but i ended up raising it almost as far as it would go to stop it. is there anyway i can bring it back down without getting this noise again?
well, either adjust the neck. i would have to give u an explainationon how to do this.

or maybe go with a different gauge string.

either way ud have to measure ur necks bend first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011