I've got a PRS Santana SE and it has this enormous plastic nut on it, anyway I'm thinking of replacing it with a brass one to give it a bit more resonance and sustain, but I've never fitted a nut before, let alone a brass one. Looking around for blanks on the net, I haven't been able to find one that matches the dimensions, any thoughts? I'm also wondering how I'm going to fix it to the neck - I have seen a couple of brass nuts that were screwed onto the neck though...
I fitted one a while back, but to be honest any gain in resonance or sustain will only affect the open strings. Once you fret a string, the effect of the nut is negated. When I fitted the brass nut ( which was already slotted, although I had to recut the slots) I just lightly glued it in just like any other nut. I don't know whether you've got the hardtail or the trem, but if it's the latter, I wouldn't even think about putting a brass nut in there because of friction problems.
Quote by reeced
I don't know whether you've got the hardtail or the trem, but if it's the latter, I wouldn't even think about putting a brass nut in there because of friction problems.

Indeed. Graphtech ftw!
screw brass get a graph tech nut. i got one on my les paul. You will have no friction problem at all. they sound pretty good to better than plastic. better for the strings too
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Quote by reeced
I fitted one a while back, but to be honest any gain in resonance or sustain will only affect the open strings.

Well I like to play quite a lot of open string chords, so that's fine.

Once you fret a string, the effect of the nut is negated.

I would have thought that even if I was playing a fretted note, the nut would still be absorbing some of the energy (though obviously a smaller amount than for an open string)

When I fitted the brass nut ( which was already slotted, although I had to recut the slots) I just lightly glued it in just like any other nut. I don't know whether you've got the hardtail or the trem, but if it's the latter, I wouldn't even think about putting a brass nut in there because of friction problems.

Right, I didn't realise brass nuts would give you friction problems, I have the version with the trem, but I don't use it (it's blocked off)

screw brass get a graph tech nut. i got one on my les paul. You will have no friction problem at all. they sound pretty good to better than plastic. better for the strings too

I do have a guitar with a Graphtech nut fitted and it's OK, I might look into putting one of them on instead, dunno - it would obviously be easier to shape/cut the slots for etc.
Quote by Mr Songwriter

Right, I didn't realise brass nuts would give you friction problems, I have the version with the trem, but I don't use it (it's blocked off)

Is it blocked off because you don't like trems ? or is it because you've had tuning problems ? If it's the latter, then have you considered locking tuners - makes a world of a difference, even with a plastic nut.
I don't use trems much, so I blocked it off because it did appear to be making the tuning a bit wobblier. I've also thought about getting locking tuners too, though I have a feeling that excessively thick plastic nut isn't helping with tuning stability either.
I think brass would go fine with the trem.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.