Page 1 of 8
Hey there fellow axers,

Not one day to early for this thread...some of you might say. Finally we have a thread to discuss guitar techniques as well as the future of the Shred Masterclass Video Lessons

I can't tell for sure the future direction of the lessons - and that's the part I like so much with teaching online - I 'll get an idea one day, and in a couple of weeks thousands of people are playing (or attempting to play! ) the same stuff as me. Whatever... I better stop before this becomes to much of an ego trip.

Anyhow - I am looking forward to all the solo related stuff we are [hopefully] going to be discussing here...

Lemme hear from ya!

/Kristofer
Last edited by Kristofer Dahl at Dec 6, 2006,
Du är bäst Kristofer!
Quote by grungefan89
Hooker! Could someone please buy this kid a hooker?

Let me know when you can actually fuck a cartoon chick in the beared clam and give me a call. I've forgotten what it feels like to shit my pants.
Nice technique man..... Could you possibly do a video on like the modal system or something???
Hey Kris

I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to go into how the various scales can be manipulated into producing effective solos? As opposed to randomly jumping across the fretboard as many people seem to feel the need to. Also, which scales are the most appropriate for inducing which mood
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
hello!!...

I just wanna ask something...

what exactly is a shred?
what should I do to become a "shredder"?
Uhm, have a look at this link mate: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

And also the big bold stickied Technique Thread

Though I guess if this is just about your video series, that's something different.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Good suggestions - keep 'em coming!

Most lesson ideas I get will come from suggestions - and I can say for sure we will have more of both "in the style of" lessons and scale lessons...

K
Quote by Kristofer Dahl
Good suggestions - keep 'em coming!

Most lesson ideas I get will come from suggestions - and I can say for sure we will have more of both "in the style of" lessons and scale lessons...

K

How about a "in the style of" for Allan Holdsworth?
Its always happy here
Quote by cakehead
How about a "in the style of" for Allan Holdsworth?

Sorry but no, I am way to crappy for that!

/K
Quote by Kristofer Dahl

Sorry but no, I am way to crappy for that!

/K

awwww! Allan is some player! But you could do him man! failing that I'm sure loads of people would love to see sweep picking ideas and technique. I get asked about it more than anything else, and I'm no very good at it tbh!
Its always happy here
Yeah we must have some sweeping, all though I suckpretty bad at that too . I have been practicing it lately though, and I am starting to get a hang of it...

Never give up!
Quote by Kristofer Dahl
Yeah we must have some sweeping, all though I suckpretty bad at that too . I have been practicing it lately though, and I am starting to get a hang of it...

Never give up!

we have a sweep picking video up here if it will help.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_sweep_picking.html

Kristofer, if you dont mind me saying, I hear some Holdsworth in your playing, is he a major influence?

And on topic: a lesson invlolving some runs in all the different modes will be sick.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight

Kristofer, if you dont mind me saying, I hear some Holdsworth in your playing, is he a major influence?

No I definately don't mind you saying - but he for sure would.
I cannot think of a better guitarist than Allan Holdsworth.
Quote by MattIgoe0108
Hey Kris

I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to go into how the various scales can be manipulated into producing effective solos? As opposed to randomly jumping across the fretboard as many people seem to feel the need to. Also, which scales are the most appropriate for inducing which mood

i second this i can get quite a bit of speed up in the scales but i dont like it sounding all the same, i would like if you could give a video or just some tips on constructing solos and which modes to use in different cases and to stop me from just moving through the scales = boring, lol, great videos so far
Personally, I'd be very happy to see an Eric Johnson style lesson!

Furthermore, a lesson purely about improvisation, building up to things and general structure? Explain things like motives, rhytmic lines and chord tones. Of course, in a jazz context to scare away everybody

Edit: John has no taste in music
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Last edited by elvenkindje at Sep 7, 2006,
^Pfft, Eric Johnson? 'In the style of Joe Satriani' is where it's at.

Edit: Elven wants a lesson on polychords.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 7, 2006,
an Eric Johnson style lesson would be nice, so would a Vai and so would a Satch one. Infact I will be quite content learning "in the style" lessons from ANY guitarist with their own unique style.
Dimebag Lesson Please
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.
Quote by elvenkindje

Furthermore, a lesson purely about improvisation, building up to things and general structure? Explain things like motives, rhytmic lines and chord tones.

That would be awesome! The "in the style of" thing is pretty nifty and flashy technique is always fun too, but I think an improv lessons would reach out and help a lot more people on this site than the other two. Myself included.

Please Kris?
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I think there was a suggestion for a lesson on rythem playing, and making riffs using shred techniques, I think that'd be really cool.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
would love to see an 'in the style of' Steve Vai.

but yeah, I agree with the other suggestions about a lesson on improvising with scales and what scales create what mood and stuff like that. (As it's something I know very little about =P)
A dimebag lesson would be so awesome, hes my biggest influence
bLaCkSkaLl

My Gear
Dean From Hell
Marshall G50R CD
Ibanez: Tubescreamer,
,Flanger/Chorus,
Delay/Echo
Korg CA-30 Tuner
Somehow I think a Eric Johnson lesson would be best, Kris seems to also be influenced by him (correct me if I'm wrong) and therefore will probaly enjoy makeing that lesson the most.
Quote by invisible_man
That would be awesome! The "in the style of" thing is pretty nifty and flashy technique is always fun too, but I think an improv lessons would reach out and help a lot more people on this site than the other two. Myself included.

Please Kris?

I second that.
I know the technique, basic theory, chords, and pentatonics, but I can only "copy" solos. I want to actually learn how to create my own and how to improv.

Btw check out kris's site guitarmasterclass.net -it looks pretty good from the samples so I'm gunna sign up.
No Fat Chicks
Quote by RIP Dime
I think there was a suggestion for a lesson on rythem playing, and making riffs using shred techniques, I think that'd be really cool.

+1, especially for shred and scales please.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Hey Kristofer could you please make a video on somthing like Heavy Guitar Tricks? Stuff like artificial harmonics, squeals, Wammy bar tricks, tapping, etc....

Thanks man, keep up the good work
Another good "in the style of" lesson would be a Marty Friedman one

come on....you know you wanna
We'd have Melodic Control for the Marty Friedman one

Also, how about a video full with (clichéd?) Blues licks. I find myself lacking in that department.. and your videos are to learn from, so..
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
We'd have Melodic Control for the Marty Friedman one

Also, how about a video full with (clichéd?) Blues licks. I find myself lacking in that department.. and your videos are to learn from, so..

yes but we have to pay for melodic control, dont we?
Maybe lessons to help a lead a guitarist become a supporting rhythm guitarist as was mentioned above by some people. That would be great.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
could you do a lesson on mixing some spannish sound into rock metal stuff instead of the usual pentatonic / bluesy stuff
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War