right i have learned the pentatonic, major, and minor, so i was looking at the harmonic minor, its ****ing mad, i dont know how to playin it, i cant simpify it down into boxes to start with, so i dont know where to go with it, is it a really usefuls scale or could i let it slip, and also i was looking at the melodic minor, why is there an ascending and descending one and what does that mean in scales terms, which one would be more useful?, i like metal and im on the path of shred and i was wondering wot other scales would be useful for me, im going to learn phrygian but are there any others that are good for metal?, Dorian maybe?
dude learn ALL the modes

and all the basic scales (includes harmonic minor )

I mean like the only scales I would let slip would be the whack ones like hungarian ect
i cant understand how you can play the harmonic minor it isnt as easy to see where you r going like the other scales, like it isnt layed out like 2/3 notes per string its got like 4 notes on some and there all over the place, do i really need it for metal?
Well you can play each scale/mode in any position you like so if the one you are looking at isnt 3 note per string then just re-arrange it so that it is.

My favourite mode is Lydian flat 7 try that one.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=A&scchnam=Harmonic+Minor&get2=Get
look theres the harmonic minor scale, so im starting at the 5th fret and i can find the first pattern (3,3,2,3,2,2, notes per string ) for the first patter?
then i cant figure out the second pattern as i end up with like four notes on a string over 5 frets so im pretty stuck when it comes to this
Quote by ch715dallat
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=A&scchnam=Harmonic+Minor&get2=Get
look theres the harmonic minor scale, so im starting at the 5th fret and i can find the first pattern (3,3,2,3,2,2, notes per string ) for the first patter?
then i cant figure out the second pattern as i end up with like four notes on a string over 5 frets so im pretty stuck when it comes to this

Well first find the first note of the second pattern which would be B at the seventh fret first string then play the three note patern on that string, then the two note pattern on the A string then you would shift the G# down to the A string to make it a 3 note pattern etc etc. Like this:

E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7--8---10
B----------------------------------------------------------------------9---10
G-----------------------------------------------------7---9----10
D------------------------------------7---9---10
A---------------------7 8----11------------------------
E--7---8-----10--------------