my marshall mg100dfx is about a year and half old and theres a problem with it

whenever i switch it on.. it gives this loud whirring sound..after abt a minute the sound stops and the amp works normally..its just an annoying whirring sound at the start.......if i switch it off and start it on immediately its ok..but if i switch it on much later it whirrs again..

i havent sent off my marshall warranty card off yet.. will it still be under warranty
I think your main problem here is that you bought an MG series.

I have nothing constructive to say here, other than that there may be some loose wiring, something wrong with a fuse, or some grounding issues.

Get a real amp
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
^ shut up that wasn't helpful at all.

Sounds like some grit in the fan, if you're willing to void the warranty etc and take it apart, you can change the fan for a similar good quality PC one. Theres a video for it somewhere on the web.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new amp to me. After all the MG series of amps DO suck big balls.
well my fren's got the same amp as well...
it's an india-manufactured amp.
when u start it up, it does give a short, slight whirr... but no problems like that afterwards.
and the worst part was... the foot switch doesn't seem to be working well...
i.e., not being responsive. when u step/stomp/whatever on the footswitch's channel switch, it just don't get the damned signal. the channel switching just sucked..
my other fren who uses the same amp(and manufactured in india) gives off the same problems...
so i suppose it's got something to do with the footswitch i guess.. but in general the amp wasn't really as good as what u've might expected oof a marshal...
personally.. i think it's time to change and get a hughes and kettner... or line 6!
haha
owh, u might wanna check the wiring on board ur guitar. sometimes a loose output jack gives off the same whirring..
finally keep RAWKING!!
thanks for ur help.. i do think its the fan thats making that annoying sound..tho after it stops it works alrite..i want to sell it off and get another make ..but i cant sell it in this condition..

any idea where the video is ?

wat combo amp wud u suggest?
i have a copy of the video its just a generic "change the fan on an amp" video but the guy is doing it to a marshall MG50 or 100 .

http://www.blind-summit.co.uk/the-workshop-02-amplifier-fan-intake-fix/

Thats what you need to do.

Then once you've fixed it and can sell it on, i would recommend a different amp. The Peavey Valve King might be a good step up for you to consider.
Quote by the agony scene
man shut up the mg series are good amps when u dont use its on board distortion and use a pedal

That's like saying... Man, Dell computers don't suck, you just gotta replace all the parts inside of them, then they're ok.

Of course, pedals only help an amp out so much. MGs suck, the end.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by the agony scene
man shut up the mg series are good amps when u dont use its on board distortion and use a pedal

if you were relying on pedals for distortion you could just get a pa or your stereo system! seriously in most peoples eyes, if you want to play rock music, 90% of the reason you have an amp is because of the sweet distortion it gives you, otherwise everybody would be running aruond with mg's and pedals. I'm no expert on MG's and i think if you're buying one as your first amp/first gigging amp then that's cool ,especially if your not professional and your a teenager (it's hard affording things) but if you become professional or have some sort of money making capacity an upgrade is always nice.
Marty
Quote by the agony scene

Anyone who uses just a pedal to achieve a distorted(more heavy gain, like metal) sound doesnt know jack about how to achieve good tone. There are some exceptions to this.(Like using a small amount of the amps built in gain, then overdriving it with a TS9, OD-808, good quality pedals, many bands do this.)

Yeah im sure the MGs are good amps, and im sure you toss it on clean and throw your UBER metal zone infront of it to get BRUTALLL BALSS TO THE WALL TONEEEEE.
What are you, 12?

My first amp was an MG, and i thought it was good. My first guitar was also a BC Rich warlock. Until my balls dropped and I started using real gear after i realized i was paying for a name and flashy gimmicks.

Open your eyes, you are paying for the Marshall name and terrible quality. For the same price you can get a good sounding amp, like a Roland Cube.
Ill never go back to Solid State but those cubes sure do pull off some good tones, also Randall makes some fabulous SS amps.

But if you want some real tone in your life, get a tube amp, youll never turn back trust me.
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.