How much would a custom paint job set me back? Just a single colour i mean, nothin fancy. I'd attempt it myself but probably annihilate my guitar.

Cheers fellas.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
single color... i think he means that he wants it single coloured
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

i was thinking toxic green, just your standard glossy guitar finish.

RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Somewhere around $200 bucks from a pro.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
SiMS charge £200 minimum for a single colour respray. You do get what you pay for from them.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Just check out the Sims website, very impressed. Should be about £200 for a nice shiny toxic green, can't bloody wait!

Cheers for that by the way.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Last edited by J.Randen at Sep 6, 2006,
I would, but i'm in the UK, thanks for the offer.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Post back in two-three weeks when its done.
he said he wanted o do it himself, right? idk, it wouldnt cost that much if you did it yourself, jsut time. but you would learn alot from it. so idk, jsut read a few tutorials, and listen to some death metal, get all pumped up and in a destructive mind set, and BOOM. a nice guitar.
Quote by AtrumArx
he said he wanted o do it himself, right? idk, it wouldnt cost that much if you did it yourself, jsut time. but you would learn alot from it. so idk, jsut read a few tutorials, and listen to some death metal, get all pumped up and in a destructive mind set, and BOOM. a nice guitar.

yeh i really hope its that easy, im gonna go on my first venture into guitar spraying soon hopefully, as soon as i find out if my neck will fit a new body, or if i need to save up longer. but 200??? id buy the primer, paint, clearcoat, sandpaper and wetsand finishin stuff n do it myself every time, if you mask evrythin carefully n dont spray too thick, i dont see a problem. and you'd save some serious cash. I can see the point goin to a pro for a rediculously outlandish and detailed airbrushing for a metal guitar, but single colour? give it a go, the worst that can happen is you have to pay for the spray after you **** up (not very likely from the number of guys sprayin guitars on here) and have paint to play with....
it's just getting rid of the original finish that is the hard part, it's not a good idea to sand it off, you need the right paint remover. Then there is stripping the body, i've never done anything like that in my life, let alone soldering anything. To get a really pro finish i'd get it done proffesionaly, maybe if someone showed me how to do it, and i practiced on an old guitar then i'd try, but as it's my only guitar and i've never done it, i aint risking it!
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Quote by punkish
yeh i really hope its that easy, im gonna go on my first venture into guitar spraying soon hopefully, as soon as i find out if my neck will fit a new body, or if i need to save up longer. but 200??? id buy the primer, paint, clearcoat, sandpaper and wetsand finishin stuff n do it myself every time, if you mask evrythin carefully n dont spray too thick, i dont see a problem. and you'd save some serious cash. I can see the point goin to a pro for a rediculously outlandish and detailed airbrushing for a metal guitar, but single colour? give it a go, the worst that can happen is you have to pay for the spray after you **** up (not very likely from the number of guys sprayin guitars on here) and have paint to play with....

You really have no concept of how hard it is to get a finish that exceeds the look of a factory finish. Sure, anybody can spray paint there guitar, making it perfectly glossy, even & flawless is a whole 'nother beast. Making it look ok, or crappy is one thing, making it look half decent is another, and making it look factory/good isn't easy. Not a lot of people can do it.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
That's what i thought, hence me giving it to a pro to do! Plus i might get a drawing of mine put on.

Anyone know any other custom shops in the UK besides Sims? Preferably with a site...

Cheers guys
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
algee speaks the truth here.......its extremely hard to get these things good....im doinh one right now and you have to get a dust free environment and make sure there is no dirt_dust on the guitar everytime you lay down a coat....not to mention sanding, polishing, removing swirl marks etc.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
cheers guys, makes me feel better bout spending my money on a custom job
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Quote by absinthe5765
Yeah if theres one thing I cant stand its those kids that just spraypaint their guitars, then spray on some clear cote. Algee indeed speaks the truth.

thanks man!

hell, you guys really get rubbed up the wrong way easy!

n if my post pissed you off im sorry but it pisses me off when people that dont know me or a thing about me make judgements, £200 happens to be a lot of money to me, I'd rather spend £50 and be able to say i did it myself. and hell give some people a break, one day one of them's gonna really know what they're talkin about and make you look like idiots. I suppose you guys are still using spray cans? it gets easier with an air compressor and paint gun fixed to it, as long as you can use one.

the first part of the post was sarcasm, and though i've never sprayed a guitar before, im not totally ineperienced, i've sprayed other things, such as bike frames, and the parts i have made for those bikes, and i've learned at least one trick: after hoovering the entire area carefully, up-end the vacuum hose, attracts the majority of the airborne dust, and filters some of your fumes, if you can put up with the noise, though this may not be needed outside a workshop environment. Also from experience, if you spray really thin coats, and lots of them, the job is more likely to turn out a good-'un. take your finger off the spray lid while ghangeing direction and you wont get dribbles, other than that, take your time over every single step, if you dont do a rush job, you're half way there already.
ultimately, unless you are a pro, you won't get a finish like a pro, you might get a half decent one, but who wants that? I could spray a bike frame, bit different from a guitar !
I'm not havin a go here, so don't take offence or anythin.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
From my original post, 200 usd is about 106 gbp, but 200 gbp is a bit excessive for a paintjob price.

Don't be such a hypocrite man, 'n if my post pissed you off im sorry but it pisses me off when people that dont know me or a thing about me make judgements'. Make judgements, I don't use spray cans. I have a compressor, spray gun & spray booth. It pisses me off when people that dont know me or thing about me make judgements.

I know what i'm talking about, unfortunatly I cannot say the same for you man. Spraying a bike frame is nothing like spraying a guitar at all. I also hope you're not serious about using a vacuum to suck up the overspray man. If you are, forget about ever spraying paint & learn about how explosive paints are and how easily sucking up paint fumes can ruin a vacuum. You should know better not to run anything electric when there's paint fumes present in a room, it's an explosion waiting to happen!
Quote by J.Randen
ultimately, unless you are a pro, you won't get a finish like a pro, you might get a half decent one, but who wants that? I could spray a bike frame, bit different from a guitar !
I'm not havin a go here, so don't take offence or anythin.

sorry but if you said that on a bike forum after some of them seeing this thread, you'd get kicked off, because of the shapes of the tubes, the different mounts and guides, there are a milion places for paint to build up, so avoiding dribbles is a skill that can take years. add to this that the finish on the mounts has to be PERFECTLY flat, or it will need facing back to the metal to give a true mount again, and no-one wants that. add to the fact that the majority and not the exception of bikes have relatavely complex detailing as opposed to guitars.

sorry if i sound like im having a go, but the reaction i just got for saying something in more respectful terms than that... ffs all i said was that for the monet id rather do it myself, and if they read the entire thing they'll notice that i pointed out that you could also have a go and then go to a pro if not satisfied. anyway, at least shop around, theres a place near me that will do it for about £150, depending on the need to mix new colours etc, but they are a small place, and specialize in car bodies n stuff, so they have no website, but a place like that will do just as good a job and will be cheaper, look in the adverts in the back of a car modding mag or somewhere, and make some phone calls, good luck
cheers man, i wasn't hatin on yah or anythin, just when it comes down to it, i only have one guitar and i might as well get it right first time, and i think i'll take it to a guitar customizer over a car modder, like the way bikes aren't the same as guitars, neither are cars.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Quote by punkish
sorry but if you said that on a bike forum after some of them seeing this thread, you'd get kicked off, because of the shapes of the tubes, the different mounts and guides, there are a milion places for paint to build up, so avoiding dribbles is a skill that can take years. add to this that the finish on the mounts has to be PERFECTLY flat, or it will need facing back to the metal to give a true mount again, and no-one wants that. add to the fact that the majority and not the exception of bikes have relatavely complex detailing as opposed to guitars.

Stopping 'dribbles' is as easy as removing your finger off the tip of the nozzle. It's not an art that takes years, and niether is avoiding runs or sags in the paint. Those take a minimum of a few shots to learn how to not happen.
Quote by J.Randen
Anyone know any other custom shops in the UK besides Sims? Preferably with a site...

Manchester Guitar Tech
Richard Fay Guitars (Swirls and LiquiFAY only)
Dave Winter Guitars (His workshop in my town! ^^)
the manchester guitar tech guy reckons i should just trade my guitar for a different colour haha! i aint swappin my rg1570! specially not when the other colour is gay too.
I think i'll go with Sims, expensive, but ****in quality!

Wonder how long it will take em to spray it a new colour?

cheers for gettin them sites for me btw.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Last edited by J.Randen at Sep 6, 2006,
They hold on to it for about two weeks. Prep work and finishing takes a few days, then they hang onto it for a week and a bit to let it cure.
Yes, when Im bored I phone people and ask for quotes on stuff I can't afford/don't have. Its my dirty little secret.
crikey, was only expecting a week without her wonderin if it's worth it now!
But i know it would look awesome, and it would pay off in the long run, i think!
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Correct me if I'm wrong; mind over matter works for me. If I don't mind; it don't matter.
Wow. Talented bunch of people there garyo.
wow they are amazing! Check out www.simscustom.com, that's where i'll be sending mine

I'm going for toxic green, might put this design on it too.....

You like?
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Remember, the price goes up with custom designs.
Yeh, i just spoke to the guy at Sims, should be about £300 with that design, not bad for a body and headstock re-spray with custom graphic, baring in mind they'll have to strip the guitar and put it back togethor.

I got bored...

RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Last edited by J.Randen at Sep 7, 2006,
Haha, i doubt it'll have green hardware, but it does have a green bridge pickup!

Hopefully the real thing will be posted soon.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
Quote by eddiehimself
Wow a guitar with green hardware!?

It could be done with enamal paint. Take the bridge apart and paint on very thin coats of paint and you could have your working green hardware. Although, the paint would wear off quickly. I wouldn't recommend doing it. :<
Nah i think i'll leave the hardware chrome n black, not sure about that green either, needs to be more dark and less yellow.
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus