i have some light buzzing troubles, but my setup is ok. and i heard some time ago that 008 strings trend to buzz. so is that true?
and btw is 008 strings ok? i play mainly heavy metal, hard rock, and slow stuff like gary moore (the loner, parissiene walkways).
i always played with 008 beacause i heard that its easier to play fast with 008 strings. so is that also true or a myth?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

ummm depends on your set up as long as you find no buzz all is good. and i thought maybe 10's would of had suited your music taste
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ummm depends on your set up as long as you find no buzz all is good. and i thought maybe 10's would of had suited your music taste

why they'd suit my taste? i heard that the gauge doesnt change the sound THAT much, and heavier gauges are harder to play
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I think you can play fast with any guage string, look at SRV and Dick Dale. As for suiting your style, Tony Iommi used .08's, so if he can use them, you sure can. But let me warn you, you probably won't be able to detune past drop D if you're using .08's.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by urik
why they'd suit my taste? i heard that the gauge doesnt change the sound THAT much, and heavier gauges are harder to play

try going down to drop c with that gauge. its almost going to be fully floppiness
The largest appreciable difference between string guages is volume. A lower mass object vibrating through the magnetic field of the pickups will not produce as strong of an electric current as an object of more mass. And like Phil said, lower guage strings need more tension to be able to play properly. But no string is more prone to buzz than any other, as long as you have the guitar set up properly (and you're not trying to play ridiculously low tunings with a light guage string).
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by azn_guitarist25
try going down to drop c with that gauge. its almost going to be fully floppiness

well but i always use normal tune. never tune down
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik

When I switched from 9s to 10s I noticed a huge (well maybe not huge but still very notacable) difference. Try 'em and see if you like them. You may need to adjust the trussrod since the neck will bend more with heavy gauge strings. And the intonation will probably need a bit of adjusting too.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by urik
well but i always use normal tune. never tune down

well i guess its alright but when you said heavy metal i instantly thought like drop c and lower which really 008's arent really comfortable to play in imo
im currently in drop C with .08s... its fun... I find it to be easier to do pitch harmonics with vibrato. but as for everything else... i wouldnt recomend. I got them on my guitar because though I have been playing for over 3 years I still havent built up good vibrato/bend strength and the thinner they are the easier to bend.

Its not true about the thinner the string the faster you can play. Thinner Pick, yeah, but not string. I mean alot of shredders get thicker gauges because with thinner strings they break easier.
8's sound utter crap, the heavier the gauge the nicer the sound. Also you must have pretty weak fingers if you want to use 8's atleast go to 9s or 10s.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
If you play heavier music, chances are you're going to dig in more....plan with a stronger attack.

For this, I would really recommend a heavier gauge....the 8's are just going to be too thin, and much more prone to buzzing....

And the playability of different gauge strings is way overrated.....heavy strings are just as easily playable....I can more than likely play faster than most people on here with my 11's than the guys playing 9's....

I'd give 10's a try! They should suite you well! The heavier gauge also help to build more strength in your fingers!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well i guess its alright but when you said heavy metal i instantly thought like drop c and lower which really 008's arent really comfortable to play in imo

well my fav stuff on heavy metal is iron maiden and judas priest, and they dont use dropped tunes (judas does in some songs but in most it doesnt) and mainly i play them
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Thicker strings will increase string and therefore neck tension, so they are less prone to produce fretting rattle. On the other hand they can give a higher output so hum noise can be left behind (better signal/noise rate). However these are subtle differences, specially with heavy distortion.

If your guitar was set for .010 or .011 strings and you moved to .008, surely you would need to check the setup (string action: bridge and neck curvature correction).

More noticeable is that .008 are really easier to play, specially for string bends of 1 1/2 semitones.

Hope this helps,

"I have blisters on my fingers.......John Lennon after performing Helter Skelter"
Quote by urik
well my fav stuff on heavy metal is iron maiden and judas priest, and they dont use dropped tunes (judas does in some songs but in most it doesnt) and mainly i play them

You should still use atleast 10's or 9's atleast. I use 11's in standard tuning and works nice for me so yeah...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
You should still use atleast 10's or 9's atleast. I use 11's in standard tuning and works nice for me so yeah...

k then next time i restring, im taking 9's or 10's
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i reckon .008s are probably a bit too flimsy but then again, malmsteen uses them half a step down and just listen to his tone. i would recommend .009s which are what i prefer or even .010s. alternatively try a set that is light on the bottom 3 strings (1st to 3rd) but heavier then what a normal .009s set would be on the top for harder sounding chords

EDIT: just went back and read taht you play iron maiden and judas priest stuff which is what i do, a lot of their solos have big bends in them so .009s are probably a good idea because it will make it easier to bend up really high. ignore people who say stop being a bitch and use .011s and get stronger fingers etc because even though that is a good idea, regardless of how high you can bend with .011s youre always gonna be able to bend even higher with .009s
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Sep 6, 2006,
Quote by urik
i have some light buzzing troubles, but my setup is ok. and i heard some time ago that 008 strings trend to buzz. so is that true?
and btw is 008 strings ok? i play mainly heavy metal, hard rock, and slow stuff like gary moore (the loner, parissiene walkways).
i always played with 008 beacause i heard that its easier to play fast with 008 strings. so is that also true or a myth?

I'm currently using .008 and for some reason it buzzes alot unlike when I used .009... The guys here are right about .008 and downtuning... so I do suggest 9s or 10s strings...
heavy metal and hardrock... people will hate me for this but i love it when my strings get rusty and i play heavy.... sounds so thick.

dont take this suggestion i just neglect my strings and 1 will probly snap and hit me in the eye in the near future.
Quote by Diamond Dave
i reckon .008s are probably a bit too flimsy but then again, malmsteen uses them half a step down and just listen to his tone. i would recommend .009s which are what i prefer or even .010s. alternatively try a set that is light on the bottom 3 strings (1st to 3rd) but heavier then what a normal .009s set would be on the top for harder sounding chords

EDIT: just went back and read taht you play iron maiden and judas priest stuff which is what i do, a lot of their solos have big bends in them so .009s are probably a good idea because it will make it easier to bend up really high. ignore people who say stop being a bitch and use .011s and get stronger fingers etc because even though that is a good idea, regardless of how high you can bend with .011s youre always gonna be able to bend even higher with .009s

well i dont play maidens solos (i play only one year) so i play riffs and improvize the solos. but i bend a lot so yeah i think that i gonna go for some 9's
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by I__guitarist__I
heavy metal and hardrock... people will hate me for this but i love it when my strings get rusty and i play heavy.... sounds so thick.

dont take this suggestion i just neglect my strings and 1 will probly snap and hit me in the eye in the near future.

well usually i only change my strings when 1 breaks so yeah i have chances of that happening too xD
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah, 8's are thin and kinda weak. When I switched from 9's to 10's I noticed a huge difference, if you're playing any heavy riff it will give you a much heavier sound, especially with palm-muting. They aren't really any harder to play except when doing string bends, but you'll get used to that, and the benefits of how much better they sound is great. I also break strings a lot less now. They will also be better if you do decide to do lower tunings (everyone is gonna mess around in drop D at some point) and they will be less likely to buzz. I strongly recommend 10's... in fact, has anyone here gone from 10's to 11's, how did that go?
Tuning a set of 008's to a given pitch will require less string tension than a set of 009's (or higher) would at the same pitch, so they do usually sound a bit buzzier. I've used 008's quite a bit over the years, but have recently switched to 009's, I also tried 011's and the string-to string definition was very noticeably better, probably due as much to the increase in tension as the increase in string thickness. Apparently Peter Buck from REM uses 013's, but even though I'm a fan of the band, having seen quite a few REM gigs and live videos etc, he does sound as if he's struggling to fret the notes at times, plus there's the extra strain on your guitar's neck to consider.
Quote by Kartman
I think you can play fast with any guage string, look at SRV and Dick Dale. As for suiting your style, Tony Iommi used .08's, so if he can use them, you sure can. But let me warn you, you probably won't be able to detune past drop D if you're using .08's.

the only reason why tony iommi used 8's is becaue he got his f***in fingers cut off man.
Quote by Superpartydude5
Yeah, 8's are thin and kinda weak. When I switched from 9's to 10's I noticed a huge difference, if you're playing any heavy riff it will give you a much heavier sound, especially with palm-muting. They aren't really any harder to play except when doing string bends, but you'll get used to that, and the benefits of how much better they sound is great. I also break strings a lot less now. They will also be better if you do decide to do lower tunings (everyone is gonna mess around in drop D at some point) and they will be less likely to buzz. I strongly recommend 10's... in fact, has anyone here gone from 10's to 11's, how did that go?

I've gone from 10's to 11's, I love 11's. They get such a thicker sound and play much nicer than 8 or 9's, which I find wayyyy too flimsy. Bends were tough for a week or so, but I can still do a 1 and 1/2 step bend with my 11's.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
i have gone from .09's to .10s to .11s and the tone is a whole lot better...its thicker, its clearer...all in one...theyre better, its also not a hrad transition takin it step by step
Quote by ScottishAngus
8's sound utter crap, the heavier the gauge the nicer the sound. Also you must have pretty weak fingers if you want to use 8's atleast go to 9s or 10s.

Tell Billy Gibbons, B.B. King and Tony Iommi that 08's sound like utter crap.
Quote by EricJake
"I have blisters on my fingers.......John Lennon after performing Helter Skelter"

that was Ringo Starr
Quote by Dirk Gently
The largest appreciable difference between string guages is volume. A lower mass object vibrating through the magnetic field of the pickups will not produce as strong of an electric current as an object of more mass. And like Phil said, lower guage strings need more tension to be able to play properly. But no string is more prone to buzz than any other, as long as you have the guitar set up properly (and you're not trying to play ridiculously low tunings with a light guage string).

why are you so goddamn smart......
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Sep 20, 2006,
if you keep using thin strings, your fingers will never get stronger...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Thin strings - easier bends and playing overall, weaker sustain.

Thick strings - slightly harder to play, somewhat better sustain.

It's a tough tradeback because if you want to play long notes with a lot of big bends, thin strings might not give you enough sustain for that. On the other hand, it might be just too straining on your hands to try and play these big bends on thick strings.

It might be a good idea to play for a while with a heavier gauge than you'd normally use (or if you have more than one guitar, keep an 'extra' one with a heavier gauge than your main), and use that solely for strength-building excercises. You'll be surprised at just how easy it'll be to play your lighter gauge after that - even if it's just .001 difference.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
i play in standard tunin with 11s
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
First of all, bragging about using a super heavy guage is a rather stupid brag.
Choice of guage is mostly a combination of what you play & preference.

I basically boil it down to 2 main factors: lighter is easier to bend, heavier I find
better for faster picking (string resistance is more consistent across strings).
10's I find have the best balance for what I play.