i go for lessons and the teacher always teach me pulm muting and i am dam fast at it now but i dint learn open chords at all i went straight to power chords i dont think i'am good enough any advise from professinal players btw i'am 14
Come back when you've been learning for 2 years and then we'll see what you're playing.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
just look on the internet or go buy any guitar book to learn chords.....just pick 3 (C, A, G) probably to start with and practice them, practice moving from one chord to another.
Powerchords are the first thing a guitarist learns (well I did). they are very simple. Please give more info what other thing can you do, eg vibrato, bends etc.

If you teacher only does Palm Muting then i also recommend get a new teacher. He is not worth his salt. and if you think you are not good what the hell does he teach you.

sorry for the outbreak

more info on what else you can do please
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Mind you, I've only been learning for 4 months now, but I learned the "basic" open chords, strumming techniques, muting techniques, some common tricks on how to get between different chords at speed, and I've learned the chords to several low-difficulty rock songs, as well as a smattering of music theory just a little bit at a time. I'm also learning some basic scales and patterns to increase my individual finger strength, and I see that my hand can get to different individual notes than it could when I started. He says I'm learning "quickly", but still, my advice is you don't have a good teacher.

I had a bad teacher the first time I started guitar, a few years ago, and I basically didn't learn much of anything after 3-4 months, and then I stopped thinking that I just wasn't "getting it", and basically didn't play again for 4 years. I kick myself and hate that old teacher for it now, because by now I could be an amazing player had I spent the last 4 years with a good teacher like I have now.
wot kind of a teacher u got man! in a year all youve learned is powerchords and palm muting, i'd get a new teacher, or if your motivated learn yourself ive been playing since march and i can play lots of songs by trivium, A7X metallica and stuff, and alot of acoustic stuff, just lots and im self taught, im currently learning scales and how to find my way round the fretboard, i would suggest going back to learning acoustic, like major and minor chords and then learn scales slowly and building up speed, so you dont get sloppy
yo dude you have to start somewhere, when i first started all i knew was power chords. you learn stuff as you go on. just practice what you know, and challenge yourself to something new, like a harder song or something. but it takes time and practice. your be surprised at yourself when you have been playing for 2 years, your be a lot better.
Quote by sdhupelia
Mind you, I've only been learning for 4 months now, but I learned the "basic" open chords, strumming techniques, muting techniques, some common tricks on how to get between different chords at speed, and I've learned the chords to several low-difficulty rock songs, as well as a smattering of music theory just a little bit at a time. I'm also learning some basic scales and patterns to increase my individual finger strength, and I see that my hand can get to different individual notes than it could when I started. He says I'm learning "quickly", but still, my advice is you don't have a good teacher.

I had a bad teacher the first time I started guitar, a few years ago, and I basically didn't learn much of anything after 3-4 months, and then I stopped thinking that I just wasn't "getting it", and basically didn't play again for 4 years. I kick myself and hate that old teacher for it now, because by now I could be an amazing player had I spent the last 4 years with a good teacher like I have now.

Wow thats like the samething I went through.To the thread starter just look for for chord shapes and and basic strum patterns.I also suggest getting a new teacher before you do anything.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
ok..learn your chords...not just power chords, but normal full chords. learn just one a week and in 2-3 months you will know enough to play a ton of songs...relate your learned power chords to your regular chords, and interchange the two. Learn some simple easy Beatles songs or any singer songwriter type stuff...Bob seger, Neil Young...whatever,...just get into songs that are simple and use regular chords...your teacher was probably trying to get you interested in what you like, but youre beyond that now...you could learn only 8 chords and know so many new songs with them..take songs you know with power chords, and transpose(?) them to full chords...play Nirvana using full chords, they arent complicated at all, really...good luck....
Exercise's are the best way to get better, I would go out and buy a book of exercise's right now, thats how I learned to play faster stuff.
Quote by BirdHouse
i go for lessons and the teacher always teach me pulm muting and i am dam fast at it now but i dint learn open chords at all i went straight to power chords i dont think i'am good enough any advise from professinal players btw i'am 14

here's the thing , you're playing is going to be a reflection of what you practice.

it sounds like you've skipped over alot of basic material and gone straight to the cool stuff . you need to fill in the blanks of what you should have been learning.
Yeah, you have to be very careful with teachers. A lot of them seem to veer towards teaching you what they prefer to play without knowing it. I took lessons for 4 months, and even though my teacher helped me understand the basic theorys very well, i felt that there was little to no point in me learning strange diminished chords with added 5ths or whatever if i still couldnt bend a string right, use alternate picking or do a vibrato. Its only now ive been able to really switch between regular chords and barre chords.

My advice is get a grip on the basic theory from a new teacher, ie how the fretboard works, and then just practice the basics yourself, getting the teacher to help you with them.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
yeap i can do slides bends vibrato and i wanna be a rythem guitist hmmm some song i just learn was my chemical romance i'am not okay with solo erm nirvana smell like teen spirit with solo the first song i started play was metallica enter the sandman without solo any advise?
Power Chords are usually learned first, they're extremely easy because all you have to do is remember the fingering and move the fingers along the frets.

Some of the first "normal" chords I learned are:

G, D7, D, C, G7, F#-, A, Am, Em, Dm.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398