Owh,here's the question i wanted to ask (or more like a help),i went over to a music
store lately to get a few stuffs.Then i asked if they have any distortion pedals for
bass guitars..and crap,wat they told me wuz a BOSS DS-1 distortion can be used.
Well,dear bassists out there..plz tell me can it be used coz DS-1 is more to guitar ain't it?
Experimentin with it wuz bad enuf..the sound wuz too trebly or too mush bass (i've
tried changin the amp settings though)

ps: anybody using distortion pedals for bass guitars,would u plz drop me some great
pedals available.Thx all in advance.

~~~~~pump up the amp as ya like,yell like a mad a** but just don't blow ur hse
down~~~~~
Quote by theblurbass
Owh,here's the question i wanted to ask (or more like a help),i went over to a music
store lately to get a few stuffs.Then i asked if they have any distortion pedals for
bass guitars..and crap,wat they told me wuz a BOSS DS-1 distortion can be used.
Well,dear bassists out there..plz tell me can it be used coz DS-1 is more to guitar ain't it?
Experimentin with it wuz bad enuf..the sound wuz too trebly or too mush bass (i've
tried changin the amp settings though)

ps: anybody using distortion pedals for bass guitars,would u plz drop me some great
pedals available.Thx all in advance.

~~~~~pump up the amp as ya like,yell like a mad a** but just don't blow ur hse
down~~~~~

Chris Wolsteholme of Muse uses a Russian Big Muff, that's meant to be good for bass
They can be used. But it's not going to give you the best sound. Most of the time it will be too trebly and tinny. You'd be better off buying a bass distortion from musiciansfriend.
Big Muffs!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
what i love about that song is how it's more like a fuzz than proper distortion, it sounds very synth like. Does he use a synth pedal as well or just two big muffs?
Last edited by Applehead at Sep 6, 2006,
Electro-Harmonix makes the best analog pedals around. They just kick all ass.

Now if you were a guitarist wanting to sound like a black metaler or something I'd tell you to look elsewhere, but these guys are right - BIG MUFF!!!

There's another interesting distortion called the "Bass Balls" that's a combination of envelope and some kind of fuzz. You may not like it, but I've found it to be a lot of fun. It works for guitar, too!

The only reason guitar pedals generally don't work for bass is they have cheap, digital circuitry. They (mfg's like Boss) cut a few corners, which doesn't matter if you're playing an Ibanez six string - in fact, their pedals are great for that - but for bass, analog is the way. The circuits take advantage of natural sounds versus engineering a sound on a computer.

Big difference.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I've tried running a Jazz bass through a Boss Metal Zone pedal... though I hate that pedal with an actual guitar, running a bass through it sounded pretty good IMO. lol. Try it next time you stop by a GC or music store.
Quote by Applehead
what i love about that song is how it's more like a fuzz than proper distortion, it sounds very synth like. Does he use a synth pedal as well or just two big muffs?

On time is running out, he actually uses one of Matt's guitar synths, but i can't remember the exact name. Also, i don't know if he still does, but live he used to play clean bass over the synth backing track.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Big Muffs!

I swear by my American Big Muff Pi. The greatest distortion pedal ever made, even if it is a guitar pedal

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
i use a korg px4d effect model-er and it has bass distortion, bass overdrive and bass fuzz i highly recomend it
I have the Russian Big Muff and it kicks all kinds of ass.

However, there is no 9V adapter plug so I burn up a lot of batteries. But I highly recommend the pedal.

I compared it to the American one, and the Russian just seemed better for bass. It was a bit smoother.

Oh, and a DS-1 would be fine on bass. But the Big Muff is better.

BTW, Bubonic Chronic, your avatar looks exactly like my dog.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
yea cool,lotz of answers just overnite. So Big Muff is the big thingy around here huh..yea,
thx for the replies though. and a multi-effects would be great too i tink,but i still prefer
stomp boxes..
gotta build up slowly on the collection though ..lolBtw have u guyz heard bout Behringer
pedals..d one that looks,feels and even made out of plastic casing?I've alwayz got the idea
someone from heavy bands r gonna crush in their gigs it if they ever got it..don't u tink?

~~bass rockz but itz gonna be unfair for my guitar,..d**n who cares though~~~
^I use a Behringer Bass V-amp pro. It's rack mount, but it's built in a metal case and is very sturdy. Also, it really surprised me with how good the effects and amp models are.
Oh lol,not that i meant,i mean the normal Behringer stomp boxes. Yeah,i've seen yours
before, itz kinda different from the boxes. :p but oh man,datz gonna cost me a lot over
here..lol