Hey, I'm 13, I've been playing guitar basically since Christmas and I can play a few things now (Stairway To Heaven, some random Metallica & Megadeth songs, and I'm learning Speed Metal Symphony) a few riffs etc... Plus 20+ chords and a few scales. What I really want to know is what to do now? I'm getting a teacher basically as soon as I can find one as even though I play as much as I can (at least an hour a day, preferably 2 or 3) I don't really feel like I'm getting anywhere. I need some direction. What do you think I should do now? What songs to be learning, scales and stuff? I want to play Metal, Punk, Blues and Country eventually. How much do you think I should practice at this stage? And what kind of equipment do you think would be good to get? At the moment I have a BC Rich Deluxe Warlock (don't just say it's a crappy guitar as I know it's made of Agathis etc..) a Vox DA5 and a Spanish acoustic. Help?
You should start learning the solos to some tof those Metallica and Megadeth songs, Learn the Major Scale and its modes, chord construction would help too, and practice as much as you feel like it. You don't want to practice only 5 minutes a day but you don't want to get burnt out either. I practice 3 or 4 hours a day when I don't work and then when I do work I practice an half an hour to an hour. I hope that helps some.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
get a better guitar. not that yours is crappy, because you need one more suited to everything you'll be playing. a les paul should do the trick. get a good teacher, he'll know where to go.
i wouldn't worry about getting a new guitar as long as the one you have stays in tune and has decent action. when you get real good you'll have alot better idea of what kind of high end instrument you need than you do now.

put your money into lessons , stay open minded , listen to a variety of music.

good luck!
Right, combining the tastes of Metal, Blues and Country, I have decided that you should be playing Led Zeppelin! Unless you truly despise their music (unlikely) they will cater for all your needs.

For the Metal and Blues, I would suggest looking up a tab for "HeartBreaker". The solo is daunting but analyse it if you want and just learn it. Speed will come with practise.

For the Country, I would suggest "Going to California". Its not completely country but it has some sweet fingerpicking that sounds great. That or "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", which is a great one, and it sounds a lot like country.

Ok, moving on from song recomendations, Ill go to "Scales and Stuff" . Have you learnt the modes of the major scale yet? If not, then I highly recommend that you check out some of the lessons here on UG about them. If you have done a bit on them, then make sure you memorise their intervals, qualities, relations and learn what chords go with them. There is a very good thread in the Archives in which Cas (Casualty01) goes into great detail about the chords, very interesting.

Once you have got that down, transfer it from paper into sound. Practise all these new modes, they will get your fingers used to different shapes of scales. There is a lesson called "The Hopscotch Method" which runs through how you can play the modes as one, very useful, check it out.

By now, with these modes you will have come across some new chords. These will be ones with extensions, alterations, etc. Learn how to play and recognise them, as it will help immensely when you come to making your own stuff, as these sorts of complicated chords help a bundle when you want to convey a certain emotion.

"How much should I practise at this stage?" Well, its very simple, as much as you can. You dont practise more when you get better, its just a case of practising loads at all stages. Dont worry if you feel you dont practise 7 or 10 hours a day like other people say they do, they probably dont and if they do, they are commited and have sacrificed a lot to become better. If you want to do that, great, but dont feel you have to.

As long as you're practising, you only need an electric and an acoustic that stay in tune (something I am deprived of). Theres no need for a shiny Les Paul if you are just going to sit down in your home and practise with no amp. You dont need prestige sound quality to know where you are going wrong, just dont use an amp if its bad. You just need to be able to hear what you are playing, and make sure that what you are playing is right.

A final note, try to move on from songs by bands like Metallica and Megadeath. Sure they sound good and they seem hard, but they dont really require much from you other than the power chord shape being moved around a lot. Thats why I suggested Led Zeppelin, as they use a very wide range of music styles, and a lot of their songs are technically very difficult. Try to get into them, its great music and it might help you a bit.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Aye I know some Zeppelin and I'll try what you said. Cheers. I'm trying to slowly play some of the John 5 country songs as they seem pretty technical. I'm basically trying to play as much as possible with different styles as I listen to a lot of different types of music.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I'm basically trying to play as much as possible with different styles as I listen to a lot of different types of music.

A great way to go about it
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.