I've got a Laney LC30 Mk II, and while I'm perfectly happy with the clean sound, the OD sound isn't particularly well defined, especially at the sort of levels I can normally use it at without getting myself evicted (round about 1 on the Master volume) so I've been thinking of buying an attenuator, but the only shop in my area that sells them only stocks the THD Hotplate, and at £249 I would really have to take my amp into the shop to make sure it does what I want, it also occurs to me that for that kind of money, I could almost get a lower wattage tube amp (possibly second hand) and achieve the same (or better?) results. Anyway, have any of you used an attenuator? are there any other makes of attenuator that I should check out? and do you have any sound clips (with and without the attenuator)
I've seen a couple of them like this one on ebay. I don't know how good it is but its a lot cheaper. I've seen some more like this on ebay so I'd check around htere for something cheaper if you want to keep using you Laney.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TUBE-AMP-VOLUME-BOX-for-FENDER-Hot-Rod-Deville-Deluxe_W0QQitemZ130014685036QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Would you trust a 18.95 power box off ebay? I used a THD Hotplate for about two years with my Carvin MTS3200 head. No problems and my tone really didnt change (until I used the quietest setting)
^That doesn't work like an attenuator does, that just acts as a volume pedal would, I think...

And if you feel like you need an attenuator, get one, but only get one if you know that you'll be keeping that amp for a long time.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I saw that Ebay volume box thing a while ago and then tried putting my volume pedal in my Laney's effects loop, but as far as I could tell it didn't affect the sound or the volume in any way, even when it was on the minimum volume setting, so I doubt if it would be any use with my amp. I've also heard that attenuators tend to cut the treble quite a bit, which is apparently why the Hotplate has EQ on it.

Quote by R_H_C_P
And if you feel like you need an attenuator, get one, but only get one if you know that you'll be keeping that amp for a long time.

Well I don't know how long I'll be keeping the LC30, but I'm into tube amps, and most of them are 8 ohms, and I tend to use my amps for home practice and recording a lot more than gigging, so even if I sold the Laney, I would more than likely be replacing it with another amp (possibly an AC30 or a Fender Twin) that I could use an attenuator with. As I sort of said in my first post, I'm also trying to choose between buying an attenuator and a lower power tube amp.

I've also just bought a replacement speaker for the Laney - it's a Celestion Century G12, to replace the stock Celestion 70 80, I'll be putting it in on the weekend, so I'll see how that works out.
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Sep 6, 2006,
Hmm, what you should do is go to a load of music shops, try the LC30 with attenuator, and also try out lower wattage valve amps, see what you prefer.

But remember, there won't be that much volume difference between the LC30 and say, a 15watt amp, you'll be able to get it more pushed, but not "cranked" as 1 on the LC30 was too loud.
Don't be afraid to care"

Well I tried out a couple of AC15's recently and I managed to get a nicer OD sound at an acceptable volume level, it has to be said that the AC15 with the £150 Alnico speaker sounded a lot nicer than the £389 one with the Wharfedale, though at the moment I would only be able to afford an AC15 if I sold the Laney and I'm not sure that the AC15 would be loud enough to gig with (especially given that the drummer I'd be playing with is LOUD) I'd still like to hear some A/B clips with and without an attenuator.
^It'll be loud enough with to gig, they're loud amps, so is my Blues Jr, also 15 watts and that can overpower a loud drummer easily so don't worry.
Don't be afraid to care"