I have started to have a problem with the strings on my guitar, they are getting dirty AND rusty very quickly, i have only had this guitar for 4 weeks and have changed the strings since then and already the strings are really bad, the strings that came on the guitar when i got it were fine, i only changed it because my cousin snapped a string, so i changed all the strings at once.

I know it shouldnt get this bad in the space of roughly a fortnight, so what could i do to either slow it down or clean the existing strings?
Get yourself some Fast Fret. It cleans the strings and also makes them faster to play.
on the note of strings, i have a question. anybody every try playing with .13s or another giant guage on an electric? im thinking of trying it srv style...
take a cloth and wipe off the strings after you play.

always keep you guitar in a case if not playing for an extended period of time.

are you keeping your guitar in a basement or some place damp?

also , if you're really playing alot ( hours a day ) four weeks may be time for new strings.
Get yourself some Fast Fret. It cleans the strings and also makes them faster to play.

1.is that string lubricant?

2. Is is expensive?

sorry if i sound like a bit of a noob, but i really havent have much expreience with string maintenence and the guitar i had before this never needed new strings

take a cloth and wipe off the strings after you play.

always keep you guitar in a case if not playing for an extended period of time.

are you keeping your guitar in a basement or some place damp?

also , if you're really playing alot ( hours a day ) four weeks may be time for new strings.

thanks, i dont have a case for this guitar, and the guitar isnt kept in bad conditions. i do play the guitar for hours at a time though, and i do that often
Last edited by GLP_Arclite at Sep 6, 2006,
maybe try a different brand of strings.

if the strings are rusting though , it's either sweat from your hands or moisture in the air.
Quote by coquet
on the note of strings, i have a question. anybody every try playing with .13s or another giant guage on an electric? im thinking of trying it srv style...

I play with 13s now, BUT, you really ought to upgrade and get used to your strings slowly. If you're at 9s now, buy a set of 10s and play 'em to death, then 11s, and so on. Even a little leap (I bypassed 12s and went straight from 11s to 13s) actually makes things seriously difficult. Plus, you will need highish action if you want to bend very much, so take that into consideration.

However, their tone is so good that none of that matters. Plus if you're someone with a lowish voice and you tune down to Eb (or lower) to accomodate it, you keep the positives of a really nice tone, while losing some of the negatives with regards to playability.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Sep 7, 2006,
Fast Fret is a lubricant / cleaner. You simply wipe it across the strings, then wipe it off with the cloth that comes with it. It takes away the dirt that your fingers leave behind after playing, keeping the strings clean and easy to play. It costs around £5 (that's about $9 I think).
Also, wash your hands before playing guitar, ESPECIALLY if you have just eaten or done something such as gardening.
If the strings annoy you do away with them. Don't let little nusances get in the way of your playing.
Correct me if I'm wrong; mind over matter works for me. If I don't mind; it don't matter.