Yea, I have a slight problem.

On my Strat's neck pickup with my wah (Vox Clyde McCoy), it doesn't sound wah-y enough, what I mean is, the sweep and vocalness of the wah isn't as effective on my neck pickup, it's fine and dandy on the bridge though and sounds great.

I want a wah type sound like Hendrix or Sir John Anthony M. F. Frusciante(who doesn't?), and they can do it great with their neck pickups, but I can't, anyone know why?

Cheers y'all.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Sep 7, 2006,
^Please tell me what the point of that was... idiot.
Don't be afraid to care"

mess with your amp setting a bit? maybe you're getting a bit too much gain on the neck pickup and it's making it tougher to hear the effect of the wah.
I wasnt gunna give you anything, talking about my face in such a way, but then when you say Sir John Anthony M.F. Frusciante, I changed my mind
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
^I'm talking about when it's clean, with fuzz and stuff it's hard to distinguish the wah is on. I've tried messing with the settings, I'll mess more in depth soon though.

Sam, you still haven't given me anything....
Don't be afraid to care"

First, I'd try messing with your amp settings, raising the high and low usually accents my wah (v847). Second, I'd replace the neck pickup with a spare single coil and see if that changes anything. Lastly, if all else fails, I wouldn't use my neck pickup with my wah.

False edit: I think maybe the wiring in the way may be off and not picking up the out put too well
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
i can't think of anything because on my american strat, every pickup position sounds fine. i have a vox v847. the only way i get that sound your describing is if i roll the tone dials off.
I'm gonna back ezequiel89 here. My strat holds pretty even, though the treble does cut a bit sometimes. Maybe you've got a pickup that's a bit "soft"?

Has Frusciante actually been knighted?!!?
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
Has Frusciante actually been knighted?!!?

I didn't think Americans can be knighted.

edit: If you get the way, I'm saying it.

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Sep 6, 2006,
Quote by carniferous
Hence my incredulous "knighted?!!?"

w0000ps. edited for emphasis.

/spam.

R_H_C_P, I think it might also have something to do with the Clyde McCoy wah. I owned one for a while, and it just crapped out on me, as well as the next one Vox sent me. It might also be the general construction of the wah. Take your guitar to a guitar shop and try out a few wahs with it.

Simple rig fan.
This may be a slight simplification, but AFAIK, a Wah pedal is basically a tone control operated by a foot pedal, you can actually get a sort of a wah effect if you rotate your tone control fast enough, so given that your neck pickup has quite a bit less treble than your bridge one, the wah effect is not going to be as pronounced, you could probably fix it by boosting the treble, but then it would probably start to sound like your bridge pickup anyway.
im gonna try this i got 4 strats ill see if any of them do this problem
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
i tried it on a standard pickup in the neck posistion and onna blue lace sensor. my amp is usually mids and treb and barley any bass. when i used the standard pickup it overall sound like it was in the neck position under the wah but over it it was getting still all the sweep in the other positions, same thing on the lace sensor. if you were using distortion or OD try turning up the tone on that
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Cheers guys, so you reckon because the neck pickup isn't as trebly, I'm not getting as much pronounced wah-ing and sweeping? That does make sense.
It sounds alright with wah, but not as good as I've heard neck pickups sound with decent wahs.

I'll hopefully soon be getting some new pickups (a lot more vintage sounding, probably '57/'62s) so I'll see what they sound like with wah, maybe I do have a bit of a soft pickup (there's also another problem with it, but that's another reason for new pickups, although I do love the sound of them)

And I tried tweaking all the EQ controls on my amp last night, and to no avail, the neck still didn't sound as good with wah, I'll try it with less bass soon and see what happens.

Keep the suggestions coming please!
Don't be afraid to care"

Nope, the wah's first in my chain.
Don't be afraid to care"

On what songs does Froo use his wah with the neck pickup? Most of hte times when he's using the wah, he's using the bridge pickup (from most of the footage i've seen).

Does it sound weak with both clean and fuzzy settings?
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I actually don't think it's anything to do with anything, it's just that the neck pickup isn't as trebly as the bridge pickup so the wah doesn't have as much sweep, it still wahs tho, just not as much, I've learned to deal with this now, lol.

And it sounds weaker when it's fuzzed up, but that's expected with a fuzz pedal and then an OD ontop of that.

And Fru uses wah+neck pickup in:
Don't Forget Me
Dani California
She's Only 18 (I think he uses his neck PU, could be his LP tho)
Hey
Million Miles Of Water

And a hell of a lot live (this one jam they did when I saw them, he used wah+neck, and it sounded like heaven, honestly)
Don't be afraid to care"

hm, maybe its your tone knob on yer strat.

low tone means not much wah coming out. max it out.
^It is, the neck pickup sounds great when clean, great fuzzed up, great lightly overdriven, but just not that much sweep and wah-ness with wah, but I'm gonna' just live with it, you can't win 'em all.
Don't be afraid to care"

meh, prolly your wah then.

you could be one of those people who just don't agree with the gear that they hold.