Total newbie here. I have an acoustic guitar that I've been learning on and I think I'm ready to get an electric guitar. This is definitely just a hobby for me, nice way to unwind and try to learn something new. Favorite band is GNR so I always thought it would be cool to have a sunburst Les Paul, knowing the real one's are big money I pose the question - are the $200 to $300 Epiphone Les Paul's even worth buying? Or should I forget about the Les Paul style and go with something that's easy to play/sounds good. I'm looking for a setup (guitar, amp, pedal, etc.) for a couple hundred bucks that has light action and sounds good. Any suggestions?
get an ibanez
originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
used fat strat and a microcube?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I've heard that Epi Les Pauls lower than Studios aren't great.

But basically, any guitar for this sort of price is going to be cheap with cheap hardware, so try a load and see what suits you best in terms of sound and playability.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Agile Les Pauls are amazing for the money. I think the 3500s are out of production, but the 2500 and 3000 series range from 250-350ish I believe. They come stock with Alnico Type 2s I think, which is what Slash used I think. (Or, at least, something very similar).

What's your budget for the guitar, what's your budget for the amp?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

yeah the epi les pauls are really good in my opinion i have one
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
^The Agiles are better.

Get a 2500 or 3000. Crunchmeister has a 3000, and a few other high end guitars (Gibsons mainly). He told me he reaches for the 3000 over any of the other axes he owns.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Unbelievable response, I can't thank you guys enough. sg-rocker173, thanks a million. The AL-3000 looks awesome from what I can see online! I think I'm sold on it.