I noticed that when I had my hand resting on the strings of my guitar, there was a buzzing sound comming out of my amp. It goes away when I touch the volume knob(its metal) and when I touch the pickup adjustment screws. I'm guessing somehow my bridge isn't grounded anymore....how bad is this??
I switched cables, made no difference. My amp has 2 input jacks though...high gain and low gain. There's alot of buzz in the high gain input...the buzz on the low gain, you can't really hear(unless I crank it). But in the high gain input, it's much louder. I'm thinking there might be something with my amp also? The difference between the high and low inputs is 5 decibels though...could that be why it's louder on the high gain?

The buzzing still doesn't go away when I'm touching the strings or the bridge of the guitar. I really don't want to open it up and do surgery, just put new strings on it.

Some info people might want to know.... my pickups are emg-hz's, so it's not 60 cycle hum.

EDIT!: If I touch the metal of my pickup selector, it has a plastic tip, the buzzing gets louder.
sorry, sounds like a loose ground wire to me.

the easiest thing to check without having to do a restring, is to check to see if the input wires are still tight.

ignore the writing for the most part. just check if those two wires are tight
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ok, I'll check that first. If thats not the problem, sadly enough, I'll just go ahead and re-solder the whole thing.
Quote by jj1565
sorry, sounds like a loose ground wire to me.

the easiest thing to check without having to do a restring, is to check to see if the input wires are still tight.

ignore the writing for the most part. just check if those two wires are tight

I thought that photo was gonna be some dickhead remark saying like...cut these 2 wires. haha. Very helpful photo for the future.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Well the input jack is fine. I removed the backplate too, the wire to the bridge is attached still. It's all been star grounded to the volume pot, then theres a wire from the pot going to a screw in the cavity. Theres 2 other wires comming into that screw. They come from 2 screws, one under each pickup. I can't remember if those other wires are attached to anything else at the moment. I really don't want to re-string.

Edit: Why is it getting louder when I touch the selector switch?

Would it be a good idea to try and find my digital camera, to take a pickure of the back cavity?
Last edited by capt_dammit at Sep 6, 2006,
well when i pick up a grounding problem, it usually hums lightly then pops louder when i touch something or fail to touch something else.
hope that made sense.

star grounding is usually a really good way to avoid grounding probs. well the pickups need to be grounded, not sure about the other two wires. maybe the pic would help.

also, make sure all the dimmers and computers are off in ur amps area. its just an easy thing to try even wt emgs.
umm also, make sure ur battery is fresh. usually that causes cut out, but who knows. try anything to avoid opening it up.

lastly, try a different amp, cord, outlet, ect
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The pickups, I do believe, are grounded. The bare wire(and the green wire) from the pickups, are soldered to the back of the tone pot. Theres a black ground wire that runs to the mess of grounding on the volume pot.

I'll try to find my camera, otherwise, I might try to get as best of a picture as I can with my phones camera.

Edit: My emg's are the passive type, they don't need a battery.
Last edited by capt_dammit at Sep 6, 2006,