I'm sure you guys have been surprised by the quality of certain basses/amps/pedals/etc when you were browsing around your local instrument shop playing every new arrival in the bass section - which is usually located conveniently in the back corner of the store - and trying out a few things you may have overlooked since your last visit (which was probably the week before )...

Well, heres the thread to tell us all about it! Tell your fellow UG bassplayers about something they may not even consider while instrument shopping. This isnt necessarily where to submit reviews or anything, just a quick overview of the thing you tried and loved that might not be popular among bassists. (EX: Behringer Tuner, Harkte pedal, Musicians friend brand strings, etc)

I'll go first , I was at guitar center the other day (came home with some Hi Beams, which are amazing btw) traveling up and down the bass section as usual...I suddenly got the urge to play a few basses that caught my eye, The first was a Yamaha TRB 1005 which I thought would be but a mere "average" bass for its price ($800)...The looks of it reminded me of a finely crafted Wal Mach II (or is it III?) but I didnt expect it to sound like one! Honestly this thing was amazing, brilliant slap tone, punchy mids, well defined lows, ORGASMIC PICK TONE, awesome feel, great electronics (coming from a SR506 user) and all that jazz...I honestly think buying this bass would be 800 well spent american dollars.

(this was after playing a bunch of Schecter, Ibanez, Spector, Warwick and Musicman basses)

(BTW I"m not sure if this bass is uncommon to you guys but I figured it might be, seeing as how Yamahas are rarely talked about here...usually only the RBX series get recognition as good starter basses.)

I also played a Warwick Corvette $$ and a Spector Rebop (Euro?) but none of those impressed me at all after I've heard about them and what I expected, especially considering the heavy price tags...lets leave it at that. (I know GC wicks arent great btw, most people say that about em, its understandable too i guess)

Hopefully this thread can become a good discussion piece about all kinds of bass gear.

I dont think this has been done but if it has, then by all means close this down.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 6, 2006,
For me, just Warwicks in general. So many people on this board dislike Warwick's, and I have to say, they are really a great bass guitar company. I have played almost every type of Warwick made, and there are only a few kinds I didn't like (Vampyre, Buzzard). I have only played 1 or two good Guitar Center ones, but the ones at local shops near me are to die for. The Warwick Steamer $$ is to die for (despite the hefty $3600+ price tag).

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^^ i love warwicks everythime I go to the Guitar center i alway try out this used fretless corvette and i am attached to it and its only 650 i really need money before someone steels her from me.

but i woudl say Fullerton basses for the cheap price they are amazing ive had mine for about 5 months and nothigns wrong with it yet. Its a bit cheaply made though but at those prices you cant complain
for beginners-intermediates i have one word - Peavey

I have a peavey bass (though im ashamed to say it i don't even know the model though i think its the millenium edition milestone) bought it for £105 about 6 years ago and ive never had any problems with it, its versatile and has a nice neck, if a little thin and sounds much much better than it should.

Now im not sure if i got lucky but ive not played anther bass which is as easy to play and sounds as good as this one for less than £500. Im not the only one to say so either, my dad (who's a professional musician primarily playing bass and piano) said the same thing, and he has played a hsitload of basses and is a fantastic player.
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
G&L is vastly under-appreciated here (except for the words of the Rev. John Smith lol)
haha
sadly I've never played a good Warwick

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
G&L is vastly under-appreciated here (except for the words of the Rev. John Smith lol)

I've been dying to play an L-2500 or L-2000, I've just never seen em around here.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Bill was great... Xeno's quote is one of my favorite's of his, really when he said that man... I felt just something so right in my entire being.

Anyways, if you have any Sam Ass's near you, they usually have G&L. I haven't had a chance to play them much, but I played this bright yellow L2000 tribute at a local store once... smoothest neck and lowest action EVAR.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Bill was great... Xeno's quote is one of my favorite's of his, really when he said that man... I felt just something so right in my entire being.

Anyways, if you have any Sam Ass's near you, they usually have G&L. I haven't had a chance to play them much, but I played this bright yellow L2000 tribute at a local store once... smoothest neck and lowest action EVAR.

yeah bill was amazing...some of his stuff will do that to you, he had his great moments and he had his amazing ones...

thats cool, I never knew Sam Ash stocked G&Ls...I dont go there at all (its a little far and I dislike the store/staff) but I will definitely go next time I get the chance.

EDIT: I just noticed that you wrote "Sam Ass" instead of sam ash

I'm slow.....
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 7, 2006,
I was pissing about in a music shop near me when no-one was about.

Picked up an Epiphone Eb-3 I think it was. The neck was so ridiculously easy to play. It was great, the tone wasn't up to much, but the neck was so fast.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
my friends brother has a TRB 1005, but it looks beat on and in very crappy condition, but its not. it sounds great. deffinately a great bass, especially for the price.

ive only played it twice, but both times it felt great and i was very comfortable on it.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^how would you rate it against your GT?

I've never had the pleasure of playing a Conklin so thats one less reason to get a GT over the TRB...They're both in the same price/quality range I think...I might get one or the other, whenever I come up with the money and have a decent amp though...which is gonna be a while.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^how would you rate it against your GT?

I've never had the pleasure of playing a Conklin so thats one less reason to get a GT over the TRB...They're both in the same price/quality range I think...I might get one or the other, whenever I come up with the money and have a decent amp though...which is gonna be a while.

i would rate the TRB closer to my 5 string hohner, great quality for the price, but doesnt touch the GT

there's just no substitue for the tone and EQ response of the conklin, and i think thats really its main advantage.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ok....how bout not taking into consideration the electronics? would it stand up to it then?

and why does the GT have such a good electronics system?...does it have like an onboard 5 band EQ or something?
I still love my £170 Vintage fretless, its on a par for me with my Cort, which RRP's at about double the price! it's mostly because of the light weight of it, and the pickups. and the fact it feels amazing. i slightly prefer it over this MM stingray i played a year back. only gripe is the crap volume control which doesnt work on any model .

i would also put my 5 string vintage, but its currently annoying the **** out of me because it needs rewiring
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I have never played a good warwick before either... I saw a warwick dolphin bass in a shop in toronto but was to scared to ask the guy to get it down off the wall
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^ok....how bout not taking into consideration the electronics? would it stand up to it then?

and why does the GT have such a good electronics system?...does it have like an onboard 5 band EQ or something?

actually, yes it does. plus individual treble, bass and mids knobs, mids cut, and adjustable "slap tone"(bass and treble boost, mids cut) and active circuitry control. along with the ability to pan the bartolini humbuckers, i think its one of the most rounded basses out there. for any price.
Quote by Mr. T