hi i have a fender tube amp that i use for gigs and i want distortion better suited for metal. but i also need to switch directly from clean to distorted in some songs i play so an overdrive pedal might not work since the amp has to be in overdrive when the pedal is activated. i need to switch from clean to distorted at the flick of a switch but i also want to have a more metal type distortion. any suggestions?
you have to be on the distortion channel when you play through a distortion pedal?

why?
yeah isn't that why you have a pedal? so you don't have to switch on the amp?
Quote by Mad Marius
No, I saw them on that documentary, Jurassic Park. They walked around and ate electric fences and people.
Guys, I think he's talking about if he were to use an overdrive pedal (not distortion) to boost the overdrive channel on his amp.

I couldn't tell you a good metal distortion pedal for a tube amp, sorry. I'd say go to GC or wherever it is you go and try stuff out. I CAN tell you that a MT-2 will sound like mud through a tube amp, so don't get that.
Umm Demonizer? I haven't tryed it but clips sound good, I'd suggest giving it a try
maybe a visual sound jekyll and hyde...its a od and distortion pedal together, the od side has a ts808 circuitry and u can use the od/distortion seperately from each other, or with the od, then the distortion for more gain.
You're just going to have to practice that 1-2 footswitching move, unless you have an effects loop that only works on your OD channel or something.
Quote by sgaxman123
thanks for understanding the problem popomitoren

You're Welcome.

Come to think of it, I have heard that the Line 6 Uber Metal is good with tube amps, though I couldn't say for sure seeing as how I've never tried it. Also, the DS-1 is supposed to sound good through a tube amp, though I don't know if that will give you enough gain for metal. Like I said before, just look at all these suggestions and try them out for yourself.

Good luck.
I really don't see why people are so crazy about the line 6 uber metal I really don't like it. Anyways, threadstarter, to reiterate my point, you can basically get a different pre-amp and run it through your amp like the Mesa/Boogie V amp (I think that's what its called) Rocktron silver dragon and Damage Control Demonizer
i maybe retarded but when you mix distortions and overdrive or distortion and distortion etc. dont you get a terrible sound?
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by The_Clap
i maybe retarded but when you mix distortions and overdrive or distortion and distortion etc. dont you get a terrible sound?

Distortion and distortion, probably, but I don't when I run my Big Muff with an OD pedal.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Dirk Gently
I use a ProCo Vintage Rat through my tube amp and I love it.

^RAT=good

i have a turbo rat, which is more suited for metal, which i sadly do not play. try to find one of those, although there is this new one which i dont know about that you could try.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
electroharmonix muffs are often used by pretty high level musicians - not really a testiment to their quality, but it's worth tryin em out. either way i think the slight level boost on a distortion pedal will overdrive your clean channel slightly which'll make the distortion pedal sound sweeter.
Marty
Quote by goingcrazy
maybe a visual sound jekyll and hyde...its a od and distortion pedal together, the od side has a ts808 circuitry and u can use the od/distortion seperately from each other, or with the od, then the distortion for more gain.

Does that mean that, like the Tube Screamer, it would only boost the high and mid range, and let the low end overdrive naturally? I might have to look inot one of those.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.