Hey,

I'm new to electric guitar and I'm looking at some amps and see they have master and volume knobs. Can you tell me what the difference is in their uses?
A general volume knob just raises the volume of the particular preamp channel its assigned to. A master volume knob controls the overall output of the power amp. Separate volume controls can be used to more effectively balance the channels, or to saturate the preamp tubes for more overdrive.
Hi, I'm Peter
So, for example.... if I cranked up the volume knob, it would increase the distortion / overdrive..... and if i lowered the master volume, it would keep that tone at a lower level?
On a multi-channel amp, there are two types of distortion - preamp and power amp. Preamp distortion is easy to get since preamp tubes take almost no power to overdrive. Power amp distortion is only attainable through sheer volume. Also, a lot of tone comes from speaker excursion, so no matter what, more volume = better tone. So to answer your question, yes and no. Cranking your preamp will get you more distortion, but you won't be able to necessarily "keep the tone" by turning your master volume down.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Supern00b
dude, you're an 04 member, and u just started?/

thats a first.

He might've just been playing acoustic or bass for a while. And we all know bass doesn't count.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
And we all know bass doesn't count.

I hope thats a joke
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
Quote by whatliesbeneath
I hope thats a joke

Put that gray matter to use and decide for yourself
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Put that gray matter to use and decide for yourself

aahahaa gray matter..
Quote by Dirk Gently
Put that gray matter to use...

Concrete???

Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by billru44
yah, i've been playing acoustic up until now

hmm, im guessin that you're a professional (working age), and that you're pretty damn good at acoustic.
Well, not really..... Yes, I am a professional (working age), but, I just started playing guitar about 2 years ago (acoustic) and now moved onto electric