I have been almost exclusively an acoustic player for some time now, but I'm looking to get into some other stuff. I have very diverse musical tastes...which guitar and amp would most versatile? I am pretty much stuck between a Strat and probably a Les Paul, but need some help....is one really more versatile than the other, or is it mainly just taste? Eventually I like to have both, but which would be best to tide me over for a year or two? And then once I choose which, there are all the different Strats and LPs...too confusing man.

Once I get that figured out, I need an amp to go along. Where's a good place to start? I don't need anything huge....it will be just me playing for awhile. Built in effects would be good.

I know this is very much a subjective thing, but I'm looking for a place to start and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I think for an amp...the Vox AD30VT would be good. I've played one at a store, and it actually impressed me!! It has built in effects, and several different amp models all included ... overall a real versatile amp, which is just the right wattage for playing by yourself
"The road ahead is lined with broken dreams, so walk, just walk on by..."
guitar wise, im not sure, maybe a fat strat, amp wise, i think on of the vox valvetronix s would do the trick
HSS strat is a very versitile guitar. You can get a good cleans for jazz to an awesome rock crunch to even a good metal tone. Also how much money do you have to spend?
well id say an SSH strat would suit you but thats my opinion.you could use a SSS strat which is what most strat users do.this is going to start a whole uproar between strats and les pauls so i dunno man. i personally think strats are a little more versitle than les pauls (which i can say honestly considering my dad has a standard les paul and an american strat) and i use them all the time but its just a matter of taste so its really up to you. id say go to a guitar shop play em both and see which one you like the most then save up for the other one.so my final answer would be a strat. either SSS(which i reccomend) or SSH (wich you can get if you want a humbucker) whcihever pickup config. youd be comfy with
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the Strat for now. Not really now, but soon I hope. My next questions is ....which strat. I really like the American Deluxe features, but the Highways 1's price tag (at about half the price). Any input? Is the Deluxe justifiably more expensive....or is the HW1 all I'd need? I've heard that the HW1's actually sound better due to the ultra thin finish. Any truth to this?

Thanks again.
The american deluxe has SCN (Samarium cobalt noiseless) pickups which are allegedly sick.

I'm giving serious consideration to one myself at the moment.

I'd say a strat is more versatile myself compared to a Les Paul, there are just more tones on it. Especially with the S-1 switching system on the deluxe.
Strat, SSS

Most versatile guitar on the planet IMO

I havn't liked a fat strat since they stopped making the Lonestar.

As for amp, mabey a Vox AC15?
for what type of music?

you might want a humbucker in the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A highway 1 is just a mim strat made in usa with a ****ty finish.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
^nah, they were but if u get one of the new ones they upgraded it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011