Page 1 of 3
ok, so i got "there's nothing wrong with love" a looooong time ago, and i just let it sit around for a while. but then i started to actually listen to it, and fell in love with the album. since then, i have not gotten anything else by built to spill, and i would like some recommendations.

oh, and discuss the **** out of this one.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47160550

tossup

(yo, yo, yo)
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
I have perfect from now on and it's an ass kicker. still modest mouse > built to spill (I find them simillar in some sounds)
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
I've been listening to Perfect From Now On a lot recently, and it's really good stuff. The songs on their myspace are pretty cool too.
I've heard them only once. They sounded a lot like Modest Mouse to me.
'Perfect from now on' was class. Great band, but their output has been declining since. I haven't heard their most recent, though.

They sound like Modest Mouse? News to me, but then I've only heard the popular MM album.
I have three of their albums on my computer all of which are very good. Car is defnitley my favorite track from them.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
I have Keep It Like a Secret and You in Reverse. I give them the odd listen now and then, but I doubt I could listen through an entire album. They're good, though.
Built to spill are simply godlike. Doug Martsch is the indie rock guitar hero.

their album "perfect from now on" is very different from nothing wrong with love but just as good. the sonds are much longer, darker, and more layered, and it has the best arrangement and musicianship of any built to spill record.

here are some songs to sample:
"i would hurt a fly"
"kicked it in the sun" (my overall fav BTS song)
"stop the show"

"keep it like a secret" sorta splits the difference between those other two albums, retaining the atmosphere and awesome guitar work, yet constraining it into the pop framework. It stands with their best work.

songsfrom it include:
"the plan"
"time trap"
"carry the zero"
"center of the universe"

the rest of their albums arent quite on par with those three. but there are gems on each of them and they are all worth owning for your own enjoyment

also, you really can't talk about built to spill unless you know these songs:

"linus and lucy" (live)
"virginia reel around the fountain" (by the halo benders, doug's side project. yet there is a live version performed just by built to spill, but the studio version is better)
"nowhere nothin' fuckup"

that should be enough for you
i think that i could listen to "the weather" all day if i tried.
<ChristianHardcoreRox> imagine
<ChristianHardcoreRox> a DINOSAUR
<ChristianHardcoreRox> all up in yo face like whas good, nigga
i've only got the newest release "you in reverse" and i love it. but since everyone here is saying that their other albums are alot better i suppose i should dig deeper into their stuff.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
they remind me of my morning jacket but not nearly as good. i liked keep it like a secret a little but you in reverse really dissapointed-aside from conventional wisdom-the melodies really suck.
Winner of the Non-Vocal Acoustic Contest
One of the coolest ****ing bands on the planet.

Okay, maybe not but they still rule over most of the bands out there right now.

There's Nothing Wrong With Live is my favorite (the preview at the end is hilarious!) is classic and the newest album is pretty awesome too, especially the really long opening track.
You in Reverse sucked. Big Time.

As I said earlier, Perfect from Now On is far and away their best work to date.
"They sounded a lot like Modest Mouse to me."
"still modest mouse > built to spill (I find them simillar in some sounds)"

I really don't hear this at all and think Built to Spill are a far more talented, interesting band. I also really enjoyed You In Reverse. Also I'm pretty certain Built to Spill have been together just a little longer than Modest Mouse. So I guess it's a matter of personal taste. *shrugs* To each his own, I guess.
I love Built to Spill...

Their second next to Modest Mouse

My fav album by them would have to be There's Nothing Wrong With Love

Distopian Dream Girl has such a cool guitar part..

But My favorite song on that album is probably Big Dipper.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Modest Mouse and BTS have pretty distinct sounds. I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.
Modest Mouse has said that built to spill is a major influence on them, and yeah you can tell with their earlier albums, not good news for sure.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
hmm, so i just got you in reverse and i felt in necessary to revive this thread
upon one listen i like the album and would consider buying more
where to go from here?
Quote by uhh_me?
hmm, so i just got you in reverse and i felt in necessary to revive this thread
upon one listen i like the album and would consider buying more
where to go from here?

My favorite is Perfect From Now On. However, I didn't like YIR.
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
I prefer Perfect from now on to YIR, but I'm not a huge BTS fan, in fact, those are the only two records I know.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
yes, they rule the school. and just to clarify, i have seen built to spill more times then everybody on the forum put together.

Err, I've seen 'em twice. Does that make me a little cool?

One of my favorites. Their last album You In Reverse was a godsend.
Poor advice.
i came across keep it like a secret and
wow
really really good
you were right is phenomenal
I have There's Nothing Wrong With Love. Great stuff, I've been a fan for a couple years (ever since I heard Jesse Lacey's cover of "Car"), but I only ever got that CD. I think it's time to give it another listen.
"There's Nothing Wrong With Love" is such a fantastic record. "You in Reverse" I didn't care for as much, but I am partial to their Live record (cover of Cortez!).

Hmm, i actually did like you in reverse, though its not up there with perfect from now on and it had a lot of filler. Still, a track like Goin' Against Your Mind makes that all worth it, even if it is 7 minutes long.

Doug Martsch > Isaac Brock.

Also, I saw them last summer. Excellent show, and the openers had some of the other members which was amazing.
I bought You in Reverse, absolutely amazing.

Conventional Wisdom is my summer anthem.
Quote by sponj
I have perfect from now on and it's an ass kicker. still modest mouse > built to spill (I find them simillar in some sounds)

WRONG. Built to Spill kick, Modest Mouse lick.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by YourLastAffront

I'd have to agree with you on that.
Quote by YourLastAffront

Why can't we just all agree that they both kick ass?
Hi, how are you?
Quote by Paris_In_Flames
...you serious?
I'm a pretty big fan of them, but that cd is not good at all. I've not met one person who likes them.

I'm dead serious.

I love the feel of YIR. It's very upbeat, and the guitar work is great. I find it hard to believe that it's so genuinely disliked. Meh, to each their own I guess, but I quite enjoy it.
Quote by twolostsouls

In the Soccer World Cup, there is no compromise.

There's Nothing Wrong With Love is EXSHELLENT. Seriously.
Quote by twolostsouls

Because Modest Mouse suck and Built To Spill don't.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Built to spill is an amazing band, one of my current favorite's. Favorite song of the moment is carry the zero or time trap. I have perfect from now on, keep it like a secret and you in reverse and i like all of them, doug is a great guitar player.

as for the discussion of modest mouse compared to built to spill, i've seen modest mouse twice and they are an amazing bands, and are one of my favorites. So i'd say Modest Mouse > Built to Spill. Both are great though, no need to argue over that.
Last edited by Monkeygone2hvn at Jul 29, 2007,
Quote by NGD1313
I'm dead serious.

I love the feel of YIR. It's very upbeat, and the guitar work is great. I find it hard to believe that it's so genuinely disliked. Meh, to each their own I guess, but I quite enjoy it.

I at first didn't enjoy it as much as some of there other albums, but it has really grown on me, and I love it.
I have There's Nothing Wrong With Love and I love it. I really need to pick up perfect from now on.
Quote by utsapp89
CRUSHING
SLAMMING
BROCOLI!
Face it, t3h MG mini-stack pwns your face.
Page 1 of 3