i'm a newb...when playing a song like "Smells like teen spirit" how does everyone play the muted parts?
you basically just lift your fingers of the strings a bit

this will make it so that the notes are not fully voiced, resulting in a muted sound
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Just don't push the string all the way to the fret board if that makes sense. Like make sure to keep your fingers on it, but its not touching the frets.
SLTS doesn't actually have muted parts from what I can hear. I hear a volume boost because they kick in the distortion.
^Actually there is muted strumming between each power chord.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
palm mute?
RG550DY

Tone zone bridge
Hs3
Paf neck

RG550CO

D sonic bridge
evo neck

Flextone 2plus
you don't fret the strings but you still have your fretting hand on the strings
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
Ah yes, that's right SOulja. I forgot about those.

Position yourself as others have said and it should result in that "chucka chucka".
Maybe he is talking about using palm mutes.

If that is the case, rest the heel of your picking palm against the strings, still fully fretting the note, as you pick them. This will result in muted "chugging" sound.

If your talking about muffled strings, or muted notes, listen to guitar_pirson.
Yeah, there is what is referred to as "string muting" strummed between the power chords during the main riff, which is performed as most have said, but there is no palm-muting in smells like teen spirit.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
They're called SCRATCHES guys come on.

no its just normal muting. and ts be careful where you might cos sometimes you can hit harmonics accidentally but yeh use all four fingers and just rest them on the strings and you shouldnt have any trouble
hitting harmonics isn't a bad thing, in fact if memory serves me correctly,i think the harmonic is hit during the muted parts of teen spirit.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
hitting harmonics isn't a bad thing, in fact if memory serves me correctly,i think the harmonic is hit during the muted parts of teen spirit.

some songs its not bad others it just doesnt suit it. and i dont think he hits the harmonics in it