i was reading an interview with stevie and one time he used 18-70 gauge... how did his strat handle this?
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
it didnt, have u seen it? lol
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
ha no but like then how does it handle 13s and shtuff i mean i got 12s and my bridge is almost ready to commit suicide
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Neither did his finger-tips according to legend.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
because he's stevie-ray f**king vaughn, that's why.

probably had it custom done (he used 5 springs on his strats)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
ive seen a strat that srv had fender make him(my guitar teacher owns it) and one the neck is shaped differently, its made of really good wood, and it has an uber truss rod in it, and even with all of this his necks still warped and required constant adjustment. and they didnt stay in tune either, srv could just play so good you cant tell

edit: he only dropped the tuneing a half step and only sometimes.
i have as many trem springs(5) as you can use + the half step made it fine
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
nooo 12-13s
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
I use 13's and 12's no big deal.
18 gauge...don't really believe it. Higher than a 15 or so would be too much IMO.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Considering almost anything below a 12 was unheard of back in the 60s, I have no doubt that a guitar can stand that kind of strain.

Maybe not well, so you might want to loosen the strings when you're not playing, that kind of thing.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
^That's not true.
Quote by Invictious
Heh, nooblet.
I use .015-.070

Pwnage of thread over.

Yeah, but do you detune??

I heard the biggest Stevie Ray went was 16's, bearing in mind that he detuned by a semi tone, that's putting about the same strain on the neck as 15's - he probably had 5 springs in the back, and the claw screwed in as far as possible. That would probably bring the trem flat against the body, so you could only use the trem arm downwards.
Owned, i'd like to see you use standard tuning with your strings! standard tuning is the bomb!
Marty
Quote by Invictious
Drop E, yea..

That's what I was thinking...

I read that SRV used strings from 13s to 16s. However, Dick Dale (y'know, the guy who did Misirlou) used 18s, so it must be possible. I use 13s, myself, in Eb tuning, but that's only for the last month or so. Before that I was in E standard, and it was a total f*cker to do any bends.

EDIT: I could do whole step bends in standard, but can now manage 1 and a half step bends in Eb. Nearly got it up to two whole tones
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^That's not true.

Which part?

Quote by StaggHound
Considering almost anything below a 12 was unheard of back in the 60s, I have no doubt that a guitar can stand that kind of strain.

Maybe not well, so you might want to loosen the strings when you're not playing, that kind of thing.

Quote by StaggHound
Which part?

the part where you said anything below 12 was unheard of in the 60s

i might have my years and eras a bit muddled up (and i aplogize if that is the case) but people like jimmy page and clapton used to use a .008 banjo string for the first string then buy a pack of .009s and throw the 6th string away, and then put the .009 in the second and so on so the what would be the 5th is in the 6th position
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Sep 7, 2006,
Quote by Cathedral
Neither did his finger-tips according to legend.

yep, the skin used to rip off, so he'd superglue it back on..works well might i add!
no it was his fingernails he had to glue back on and he did use 16's for a bit but went down a couple of guages due to the fact he wanted to carry on being physicaly able to play
Also, if using heavy strings, you need a decent neck - if you put 13's on a wizard II neck, you'll never bend it!

If you've got a decent sized back contour, and big frets bending heavy strings is easy.

I mean, if you're Tommi Iommi i wouldn't advise using 13's ever... but i'm guessing you're not
Quote by sempri_fi
edit: he only dropped the tuneing a half step and only sometimes.

Thats not true. Every official tab of a Stevie Ray Vaughan song is tuned 1/2 step down. He never played in concert pitch. Not very often at least. I even got the chance to meet Stevie Ray Vaughan when I was real young and my dad asked about his playing and he even said himself that he always tuned down to play. At least thats what my dad told me. But I do remember meeting him. It was cool.
What is this, SRV inflation? I used to hear all the time that he used 13s- (stoner voice) 'whoa man, that's some big strings'

Then it was 14s. then 15s. Now it's 18s. Bull. I doubt he used anything bigger than 15, and that's pushing it, I mean come on. First of all you can't even find strings that big, second the trem would become unusable at some point. And don't even start on the truss rod and springs.
I don't believe this crap anymore. SRV used big strings, yeah. He did not use fvcking telephone wire.
You have to buy them seperately.
Quote by Roc8995
What is this, SRV inflation? I used to hear all the time that he used 13s- (stoner voice) 'whoa man, that's some big strings'

Then it was 14s. then 15s. Now it's 18s. Bull. I doubt he used anything bigger than 15, and that's pushing it, I mean come on. First of all you can't even find strings that big, second the trem would become unusable at some point. And don't even start on the truss rod and springs.
I don't believe this crap anymore. SRV used big strings, yeah. He did not use fvcking telephone wire.

According to the Stratocaster Chronicles by Tom Wheeler (who I believe writes or used to write for Guitar Player), Stevie used "anything from 13s... all the way up to 16s". So there's the source of my statement about 16s. That's also where I read that Dick Dale used 18s, so there you are. If you don't believe it even when I quote an official source, fair do's, but that's where I read it.

EDIT: Having just gone to check my sources, it actually says that Dick Dale's High E was an 18 guage string, but doesn't specify that his other strings were proportional. Still, the SRV fact stands.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Are you sure he used 18's? That seems a little excessive...
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by Diamond Dave
the part where you said anything below 12 was unheard of in the 60s

i might have my years and eras a bit muddled up (and i aplogize if that is the case) but people like jimmy page and clapton used to use a .008 banjo string for the first string then buy a pack of .009s and throw the 6th string away, and then put the .009 in the second and so on so the what would be the 5th is in the 6th position

Woah, my bad.

Quote by StaggHound

Besides you being wrong about the second part, i'd like to mention that SRV wasn't around (so to speak) in the 60's, he was playing in the 80's.
Quote by codybcool
Besides you being wrong about the second part, i'd like to mention that SRV wasn't around (so to speak) in the 60's, he was playing in the 80's.

I didn't mean it specifically relating to SRV.

I meant, in general, the Electric Guitar was not designed with very fine strings in mind, and this is most obvious when you consider that when they were designed, the standard string guage was much larger than the standard as used today.

So, y'know, an 18-guage set might not necessarily break your neck in half as you might think.