I have a Fender american highway 1 strat and may be fixing it up for christmas I want all new pickups a bridge humbucker, middle single coil, and a neck humbucker. The guitar has an alder body and rosewood fingerboard. I need it to sound good for punk(lagwagon, no use for a name, me first and the gimme gimmes that kinda stuff), lead with distortion, and clean. You may have seen my other thread about getting a new guitar but I want to keep my options open so i decided to get some input on fixing up my strat. I was think something with high gain in the bridge and a clean pickup in the neck. I'm not on a budget so anything goes, thanks and just in case someone asks I have a Line 6 Flextone 3 amp.
slap some EMGs in that sucker get ya some high gain right there good tone too and even with distortion you can make out the individual notes if ya pick em
If I put an emg in the bridge will I have to put another emg in the neck or will I be able to use a different brand for the neck?
you can get passive emgs and i think you can combine em if i remember correctly but you'd needa use the active controls for the EMG to work properly they have all the diagrams and **** for it on the site
be warned The dimebucker is made for High gain and High treble, Not that good for Cleans and Not much in the way of tone, Not saying thats a bad thing just saying its great at what it does and not much else,

as for for the others that SH looks good, never tryed the other one,
I really like the DiMarzio Chopper with 2 fullsize humbuckers. I have a set of PRS pickups in my American Standard Strat with a Chopper in the middle. The other nice thing about that combo is that you can get a custom 5 way switch and get some cool position 2 and 4 switching options (I use mine for coil splitting)
Hi, I'm Peter
dimarzio or Seymour duncan...Wow both are great pickups (Depending on the model), Dimarzios have a great balance of Tones, They have a good attack, and responce, they just sound mean, artist's like, Joe satriani (can't think of that meany) use them, Seymour duncan Pickups have a "seymour'rised tone That you can't really get anywhere else, Allot of there pickups Are great through any amp, clean or dirty, artist's like Adam jones, Zacky vengence, synyster gates, and ace Frehley use them,

Really You just need to try them both,
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 7, 2006,
Quote by Insane_drummer
I say forget the pickups an whatever, just paint it like van halen, SORTED!!!

lol
We're still considering our options............

Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Quote by Spade1
Thats not the way to get help,

I meant it joking around.
Quote by Spade1
...oh, I knew that...I was just testing you...

So can you answer my question now? About what set up is better for what i play.
I would say

Neck-59'

Middle-Hot rail

Bridge-Distortion

My dad has a seymour duncan distortion in his Yamaha, thats one mean pickup, 59' great balance in tone, hot rails never used them, but i've heard good things about them,
Quote by Spade1
I would say

Neck-59'

Middle-Hot rail

Bridge-Distortion

My dad has a seymour duncan distortion in his Yamaha, thats one mean pickup, 59' great balance in tone, hot rails never used them, but i've heard good things about them,

Cool thanks man.
i dont have emgs but i have a 57.4 k ohm active bucker in the bridge of my squire strat it plays clean and distorts fairly well but i have to pump down the volume or the solid state amp sounds like shiznat <----- yes i made that up. so go active! emgs are supposed to rule. try to get the zack wylde set for every tone and screamin harmonics.
put a real single coil in the middle, not a humbucker (hotrails is humbucking). I recommend a Lace Sensor Gold or a Fender Tex-Mex.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
the zakk wylde emgs are nice i slapped em in my lp special and this weekend i got the chance to actually play the $6000.00 zakk wylde custom at the gibson showcase and it pretty much has the same tone as my LP special it's a lower end gibson but it was made quite well if i do say so myself but i enjoi the emgs they have good bite and distortion but they're quiet when ya need em to be and the cleans are bright and shiny
Quote by Friedmaniac
put a real single coil in the middle, not a humbucker (hotrails is humbucking). I recommend a Lace Sensor Gold or a Fender Tex-Mex.

I'll look into that.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Punctuation is your friend.

lol thats really funny I use punctuations all the time That way people dont get confused other wise the post looks like one big word and people dont know when your talking about people I mean It can really make your head hirt and its just hard to read anyway you should really start using punctuation like I do

but really, A real Single coil would be a good idea, Get the nice single coil punch on the middle/neck setting,
Last edited by Spade1 at Sep 12, 2006,
Quote by Spade1
but really, A real Single coil would be a good idea, Get the nice single coil punch on the middle/neck setting,

I agree with you, but not a Lace Sensor Gold. Those are pretty weak. Also, if he wants coil splitting in the 2/4 positions, he'll need to be careful of having the correct polarity for noise cancelling purposes. The Lace Sensor Hot Gold is supposed to be quite good. The Tex Mex is ok. I don't think it'll match up well with humbuckers, though. I dunno. You don't want too dramatic of a volume change between pickups or it'll be an EQing nightmare, that's why I lost faith in "do everything" guitars. I tried it with a Strat and it didn't work at all.
Hi, I'm Peter