Right now all I have is a Squire Strat, and I think it's time I got something much better. I've been trying out different guitars and I was particularly blown away with the Gibson Les Pauls that I tried out. But at the $2000+ pricetag, do you think its worth it to pick one of these up? I'm just looking for a second opinion, I tried out good Strats and a few other guitars, but the LP really stands out in my mind.
What type of music do you play? Jumping from a (sorry) s***ty $99 squier to a $2000 gibson is a rash decision. Try a $300 - $500 guitar first. ...and no! The newer gibsons are not worth $2000.

Cheers!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
i think if you want the les paul sound a gibson is the way too go, idk y ppl bash gibson. their guitars are well built and made of high quality parts, sure a little pricey but comparing a gibson to any other LP knockoff is like comparing fine made gourmet food to mcdonalds
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Last edited by dertjoe at Sep 7, 2006,
If you liked the LP's try an epiphone LP standard or classic, its alot more affordable, and they're pretty nice guitars. You can also put burstbuckers in one if you want the gibson sound for around $700.
^^^ the plain top is the way to go, its all mahogany instead of a alder/mahog blend, more of a gibson tone and its acutally cheaper i think,Gibson les paul studios are nice and priced well on the used market, same LP tone just no binding. if your on a budget Epiphone would be my second choice for an LP but most of the Epiphones ive owned i had to rewire after a year or so
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I've tried the Epiphone Les Paul and I could hear a discernable difference in quality between the two. I know just about nothing about the electronics, I'm lost on what kind are best, how to put them in, etc. I really like the tone of the LP, it's perfect for what I want to play. I think I might get a used one, a considerable chunk is taken off the pricetag.
yea ive owned a few studios that sounded better than stardards, when i was deep into metal i bought a black studio changed all the hardware to black and put EMGs in it, and it sounded great, now i use a stock custom and i love the pickups there perfect, the studio has the same electronics just non of the glitz
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210